Best and Worst Coin Mech's and Bill Validators

Chard

Today I had a strange problem with a Conlux 5 setup and was wondering about the various brands you all prefer.  I'll start with MDB components since I'm switching mainly to MDB setups.

For Bill Validators I like:
Conlux (I know a lot of people don't like them, but I run a bunch of them and they work great.)

Mars 2000 series

Coinco Bill Pro's

Mech's 

Mars 7512

Coinco 9302gx

Various other Mars Mech's

I am steering clear of Coinco Vortex and Conlux 5's into the future.  I also have to say I dislike the Coinco validators with the box on the side of the stacker, they're always to wide and get in the way of things.  I also never seem to have the proper harnesses handy.

Has anyone tried pyramid validators?

There's nothing wrong with Coincos and if you're going all MDB you will only need one harness. Mars are also an excellent choice and only one MDB harness is needed for them. I don't care for the Conlux stuff but mainly because they aren't popular here. You should also know that Conlux was bought by MEI who has been bought by Crane. Crane already owned the crappy Currenza brand and they are beginning to use all MEI now. Currenza will likely go back to being a European brand and Conlux may continue as the mainstay for USI, but it's entirely possible that they will align with Coinco just to spite Crane.

From this you can see that Conlux may be declining in usage and I also haven't mentioned Pyramid yet. Pyramid began here in Arizona and they still can't break through even here. The only coinage that will become mainstay in vending is what the bottlers decide to use and I'm sure it won't be Pyramid, Conlux or Currenza. The bottlers have too much invested in Coinco and MEI equipment and Coinco and MEI are the only ones who can bring the prices that interest the bottlers. Remember too, that Royal is the largest player in bottling and they are owned by Coinco.

I just took USI,s service training last month and they showed us the latest  Conlux DBA's since MEI bought them.  The guy giving the training mentioned that they have changed a lot and basicaly use all the same parts as an MEI now without the fancy flashing (insert bill here) LED's on the front of them.

The Conlux coin mech on the other hand was still much the same with numbers plastic tabs to open and or remove the coin tubes that felt flimsy and looked like they were just waiting to be broke off and cause problems.

Did the new Conlux coin mechs accept the state quarters better? My experience with the old Conluxs is that they would accept the older quarters fine but would hardly accept the newer state quarters. Thus resulting in scratch marks all over my machines.

If any coin mech rejects any newer coins then it needs to be tuned or possibly have a new coin set programmed into it. All the newer coins have the same electronic signature, so says the US Mint, but there have been some coin mechs that still didn't like the new coins.

I just took USI,s service training last month and they showed us the latest  Conlux DBA's since MEI bought them.  The guy giving the training mentioned that they have changed a lot and basicaly use all the same parts as an MEI now without the fancy flashing (insert bill here) LED's on the front of them.

The Conlux coin mech on the other hand was still much the same with numbers plastic tabs to open and or remove the coin tubes that felt flimsy and looked like they were just waiting to be broke off and cause problems.

I find it very interesting that USI and Conlux/MEI are claiming that the new Conlux validators use "all the same parts as an MEI" . Why bother to sell a Conlux validator then? If they are selling Conlux at a lower price than MEI - doubtful as USI overprices everything - then I would wonder why MEI is at a higher price or if Conlux is really using MEI parts

i think coinlux is the chevy, building older mars models while mars is like Cadillac with all the new whizbang features like the cf 7000s with sonar tube sensor and the  VN 2700s  with recycler and cc reader while  coinlux builds rebranded VN2500s and base model 5 tubes with no lcd dsplay etc.

The latest Conlux validators are actually very close to the MEI's in parts makeup, yet without the flashing bezel lights as before mentioned.  If the colors were the same, the validators would be impossible to tell apart.  I don't service Conlux though...  I don't like them, do not see the need for them, and parts aren't available anywhere. 

AZ, Pyramid has definitely expanded out of Arizona!  We sell their stuff like crazy all over the place, I'm in Colorado.  Pyramid is getting ready to release an all new line of their Apex validators called the "Spectra" with a high visibility bezel(would attach a photo but I couldn't figure out how), that is going to be geared towards trying to get more bottler business.  The Apex validator is an excellent unit, and has TONS of potential.  Pyramid has huge advantages over Coinco and MEI in customer service especially.  You can buy just about any part you want from Pyramid, and can connect, upgrade, and view errors on them right from your computer.  This makes using the Pyramid validators an excellent choice if you like to fix your own units.  Ever tried buying parts from MEI or Coinco?  Pyramid is far more customer oriented than Coinco or MEI, and during a time when MEI and Coinco are just getting "too big to care", I think a lot of people will be turning to Pyramid soon.  No, they're not 2000 series quality, but neither is the Vantage, or the Conlux for that matter.  Pyramid is improving every time they upgrade they units.  They'll get there some day. 

Overall, the Pyramid is extremely easy to work on, has very few problems, and runs great if you maintain them.  They are designed similar to the 2000 series, and all the harnessing is the same.  It's easy to plug and play with them.

Bottom line though... I'd take them over Conlux any day of the week.  I've been after them for a while to make a coin changer.  That's really the only reason the bottlers aren't using their validators right now.  It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the Apex. 

The latest Conlux validators are actually very close to the MEI's in parts makeup, yet without the flashing bezel lights as before mentioned. If the colors were the same, the validators would be impossible to tell apart. I don't service Conlux though... I don't like them, do not see the need for them, and parts aren't available anywhere.

AZ, Pyramid has definitely expanded out of Arizona! We sell their stuff like crazy all over the place, I'm in Colorado. Pyramid is getting ready to release an all new line of their Apex validators called the "Spectra" with a high visibility bezel(would attach a photo but I couldn't figure out how), that is going to be geared towards trying to get more bottler business. The Apex validator is an excellent unit, and has TONS of potential. Pyramid has huge advantages over Coinco and MEI in customer service especially. You can buy just about any part you want from Pyramid, and can connect, upgrade, and view errors on them right from your computer. This makes using the Pyramid validators an excellent choice if you like to fix your own units. Ever tried buying parts from MEI or Coinco? Pyramid is far more customer oriented than Coinco or MEI, and during a time when MEI and Coinco are just getting "too big to care", I think a lot of people will be turning to Pyramid soon. No, they're not 2000 series quality, but neither is the Vantage, or the Conlux for that matter. Pyramid is improving every time they upgrade they units. They'll get there some day.

Overall, the Pyramid is extremely easy to work on, has very few problems, and runs great if you maintain them. They are designed similar to the 2000 series, and all the harnessing is the same. It's easy to plug and play with them.

Bottom line though... I'd take them over Conlux any day of the week. I've been after them for a while to make a coin changer. That's really the only reason the bottlers aren't using their validators right now. It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the Apex.

That's very interesting. I would love to see a third player in cash acceptance. How much do the apex cost? Can they take 5's? 10's?

That's very interesting. I would love to see a third player in cash acceptance. How much do the apex cost? Can they take 5's? 10's?

especially an independent one

also they could be a good backup if mars gets ruined by crane

are they usa built

They are completely independent, privately owned, and the bill acceptors are manufactured right at their facility in Mesa, Arizona.  I've been there twice, it's really cool to watch and see. 

Yes, MEI being owned by Crane I think is a bad direction and will not end up being good for the industry. 

Chris, yes, their validators will take $1-$20, or $1-$100 for gaming machines. 

Anyone that is interested should at least get an Apex and see what you think.  I've actually got a pallet of about 50+ Apex 110 volt validators that I am getting from a gaming company that went out of business, and these were their spares.  They are brand new in the box, and I got them for almost nothing.  Anyone that wants to try some, I'll sell some of these 110 volt Apex validators for $150 NIB with a 2 year warranty. 

They are completely independent, privately owned, and the bill acceptors are manufactured right at their facility in Mesa, Arizona. I've been there twice, it's really cool to watch and see.

Yes, MEI being owned by Crane I think is a bad direction and will not end up being good for the industry.

Chris, yes, their validators will take $1-$20, or $1-$100 for gaming machines.

Anyone that is interested should at least get an Apex and see what you think. I've actually got a pallet of about 50+ Apex 110 volt validators that I am getting from a gaming company that went out of business, and these were their spares. They are brand new in the box, and I got them for almost nothing. Anyone that wants to try some, I'll sell some of these 110 volt Apex validators for $150 NIB with a 2 year warranty.

Will these interface with single price Dixie's

Will these interface with single price Dixie's

Yes, actually, we sell that configuration all the time with these 110 volt Pyramids.  All you need is an adapter harness, the Apex will fit into any single price machine with any coin mech.  The Apex validator has two software versions that you can put on it.  One is for vending and one is for gaming.  MDB is universal.  If you use the 24 volt or 110 volt pulse validators, then you need to make sure the right software version is on them.  We'll send them out configured however you want them, and you can change it if you ever need to from your computer.  It's the same setup as what MEI has, with a 2400 or 2600 vs. a 2500 or a 2700, except with Pyramid, one validator can do both.  Actually, MEI's gaming validators can do both too, but they don't allow you the capability to change the software yourself. 

The single price harness you need that will work with any single price change is $29.95.  It's plug and play from there.

I have the Conlux mcm5 in five new machines I bought from Wittern.  I don't like them.  Probably going to buy some mei 7512's and use these as backups.

but here's the question on filling these Conlux's.  As I understand them as long as I initially use the tube fill to get things started I can then just manually fill it, correct?   There are sensors in there telling it how many coins are in?

I question that because in one of them the middle quarter tube this morning was 3/4 full or a little more.  The right side quarter tube was 1/3 full.  as I understand it the right side is used for payouts and the middle is where coins are filled while people use the machine.

So, if it's low on quarters in the middle should I only add quarters manually to the right side and not do anything with the middle?  What about dimes and nickles?  Should those only be filled from the front?  I would think they could all be filled manually and the mech will count what's there with the sensors.

Sorry - one last thing.  Manual seems to say that if I have a cassette that has the 3 quarter tubes(MCM 5-1)  instead of one dollar and two quarters that I can just pop that in and it knows what to do.  But if a place goes thru a lot of quarters....say they put $5's in for $2 vends then shouldn't I put $1 coins in?  Would it give those $1 coins as change?  My cassettes do have the $1 slot.  It's empty now.  But if that worked then I should be putting $1 coins in there.

If it does work as easily as the manual says and it would give $1's as change then maybe I do like them.  I'm just not sure they work that easily.  I had issues with two new ones.....plus they are slow to give out change.

I have at least 6 of the conlux 5.   My complaints are slow payouts, poor coin acceptance and frequent coin jams in the tubes.

Also, a major pain is when you refill the tubes manually, inevitably you will drop a coin in the wrong tube.  When you do this the mech will cycle through the tube as normal until it comes to the errant coin and then jam.  I also find it somewhat difficult to funnel coins manually into the cartridge since they tend to bounce out and into the wrong slot frequently.

I should start billing conlux for service calls.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy,

The earlier Pyramid note readers where the cassette was made of metal was total crap from my experience.  I  have recently purchased 2 Bevmax 4 drink machines and I had Apex note acceptors installed on them both. I have had nothing but issues it seems the Apex just simply doesn't communicate with the technology in the Bevmax 4 properly at all and I am about to pay extra to have them swapped to MEI this coming week. The issues I have  had was regular complaints of customers not receiving correct change, sometimes machine just doesn't work and customer has had to turn it on and off at the wall to resent it so it can work again.

I also recently purchased the  brand new Apex with the blue light on the bezel a new release, and on some chinese combination machines they just don't work properly either,  it takes a long time for the credit to appear when using notes, I have since returned the note reader.

MEI best note reader

MEI best coin mech

Coinco Second. 

Archived