Build a vending machine

adamtheboss

Adam,

This type of question has been asked many times before and the same answer applies.  We are in the operating business, not the manufacturing business.  There are plenty of well designed machines already on the market and vending operators do not need to build their own.  There are zero advantages to that and if your idea was to fill a void, there isn't one.  Not to mention that every new manufacturer that has come on the scene in the last 20-25 years has gone belly up or just disappeared.  There is not enough volume in new machine sales for any new manufacturer to be viable.

Ok, 

Thank you, I am not trying to become a manufacture, I am just trying to get a vending machine to do and act the way I want. 

I guess, maybe I have asked the wrong question, or in the wrong forum.

AZVendor, I appreciate your response and let me ask you a question as you seem to know what you are talking about.

I am looking for a machine that 

A) has an elevator type delivery system

B) accepts credit cards

C) is controlled with touch screen, that manages inventory and so on. 

That is where the question of building one stemmed from. 

Is there a machine that does those 3 main objectives?

Thank You.

Adam

The most common elevator machines are dedicated drink machines like those from Dixie Narco, Vendo and Royal Vendors.  If you need a snack machine with an elevator then those are available from USI and perhaps from Crane Merchandising Systems.  These are all US based manufacturers of commercial/professional vending machines.  The touch screen is also available from Crane and perhaps USI as well.  The elevator style snack machines are designed to meet the latest ADA requirements.  Be prepared to spend $4000 to $5000.

To build a machine yourself with parts already available, it will probably cost you far more than to buy a machine that already does MOST of that.  I don't know about managing inventory.  Most vending machines use software that is managed from a different source such as a personal computer.  You simply won't build something for a cheap price.  Even if you do, and even if it works, it won't work as well as one that you could buy.

For what you want, you may be better off with a Crane snack machine with a touch screen added on.  I am not sure if the USI models have touch screens available.

By the way, touch screens tend to cost a lot.

AngryChris,

Thank you for your response. 

I feel that a normal off the shelf vending machine such as the Crane snack machine you suggested have certain features that I am looking for.

The shelving and delivery system, but as I am selling products that I dont want to drop, me being over careful, I would like something with an elevator system.

Would putting an elevator system in a Crane snack machine be a possibility. 

One thing to keep in mind with the fancy fronted new machines is whether it will be located where it can be abused.  Since you're looking at a school location and presuming the machine is for the students use, you will get abuse.  I would not recommend the touch screens in that type of location.  The elevator won't be an issue because it's internal to the machine but anything exposed to students will become an expensive repair.  If you are concerned about needing cashless payments then you can install a card reader and/or a Payrange device which can gather payments from a phone using an installed Payrange app.

Vandalism in schools is at the top of the list, competing with apartment complexes, vandalism wise.  I am not an operator but a repair tech and the Payrange is the newest cashless device on the market.  It is a pretty seamless addition to any late model machine and the younger phone-centric customers will be most likely to use it.  Most students don't actually have a debit or credit card but they all have cell phones.  The app is downloaded to each phone and cash is then added to the app for later use.  They then can make secure purchases at any machine that has a Payrange in it.  One strong advantage over card readers is that Payrange is cheaper to purchase and then there are no monthly fees, just a 3.95% fee on each transaction that's deducted from your selling price.

Sounds like it is best to stay out of schools. Damn. I work as a District Technology Director for a school, but we are small so we rarely see problems like this. 

But the payrange makes a lot of sense, so if you hook up all your machines with it, it makes that one person have an easier time to buy their drinks. 

Sounds like it is best to stay out of schools. Damn. I work as a District Technology Director for a school, but we are small so we rarely see problems like this. 

But the payrange makes a lot of sense, so if you hook up all your machines with it, it makes that one person have an easier time to buy their drinks. 

if you work for a district most use competitive bidding so there could be a conflict of interest

Archived