Royal 650 compressor

Pyrodude

I have a Royal 650 Merlin IV that stopped cooling and wanted to swap out the compressor from another machine.  How hard is it to do this swap?  Are there any tips or things to avoid?  (Moondog, are you there.....)  I have never changed a compressor before and the mechanic I would use doesnt want to try as he only works on Dixies and Vendos.

The Royal units are very easy to replace but you need to use another Royal unit.  Your repair tech isn't very good if he's unfamiliar with or afraid of a Royal machine.  You will remove the two bolts holding the unit down, remove two screws holding the left shroud to the evaporator, unplug the compressor plug from the socket to the left and push it back behind the shroud, remove the metal plate over the freon lines at the front edge of the tank, remove the delivery chute being mindful of the sensor harness, unclip the evaporator shroud from the top ends of the evaporator, and remove screws from both ends of the evaporator brackets.  Now slide the evaporator and base unit out together, making sure you get the freon lines out from behind the shroud to the left of the compressor.  Installation is the reverse.

I have a Royal 650 Merlin IV that stopped cooling and wanted to swap out the compressor from another machine.  How hard is it to do this swap?  Are there any tips or things to avoid?  (Moondog, are you there.....)  I have never changed a compressor before and the mechanic I would use doesnt want to try as he only works on Dixies and Vendos.

Pulling a Royal deck is a piece of cake - you need to find a better repair tech if this scares him.  The only time I've had to do it took me ten minutes with no experience at all.  Make sure to mark the two electrical connections so you'll know how to hook it back up.  Are you sure it just doesn't need a recharge?  Royal uses a very heavy duty unit and it's rare to have one fail.

Pulling a Royal deck is a piece of cake - you need to find a better repair tech if this scares him.  The only time I've had to do it took me ten minutes with no experience at all.  Make sure to mark the two electrical connections so you'll know how to hook it back up.  Are you sure it just doesn't need a recharge?  Royal uses a very heavy duty unit and it's rare to have one fail.

Although I have not had any of my Royals give me any significant problems, I am unaware if the Royals are any more heavy-duty than Dixie Narcos or Vendos.  I will not put USI in this list because, in all honesty, I have changed out more decks in USI's per capita than any other brand.  I have changed more Dixie Narcos in general but I have far more of them.

What is involved to get a unit recharged?  I thought I had to remove the cooling mechanism to do so.  I was just going to swap a working unit out with one that quit cooling and then figure out things from there.  I dont really know any good service techs and was trying 2 different ones that I met at auctions.  One of them flatly refused to work on Royals and didnt say why and the other said nobody uses Royals in Sacramento area and he didnt really want to start with mine.  So I am left trying to figure it out until I can find someone a bit more savvy regarding Royals.

Although I have not had any of my Royals give me any significant problems, I am unaware if the Royals are any more heavy-duty than Dixie Narcos or Vendos.  I will not put USI in this list because, in all honesty, I have changed out more decks in USI's per capita than any other brand.  I have changed more Dixie Narcos in general but I have far more of them.

It's not my personal opinion Chris - just what all the repair techs and the guy who fixes all the compressors around here have told me.

What is involved to get a unit recharged?  I thought I had to remove the cooling mechanism to do so.  I was just going to swap a working unit out with one that quit cooling and then figure out things from there.  I dont really know any good service techs and was trying 2 different ones that I met at auctions.  One of them flatly refused to work on Royals and didnt say why and the other said nobody uses Royals in Sacramento area and he didnt really want to start with mine.  So I am left trying to figure it out until I can find someone a bit more savvy regarding Royals.

Given that Vendo is headquartered in Fresno, they probably have the most presence in your area.  I would never attempt to recharge a compressor myself as you can really do some damage if you overcharge it.  Best bet is to yank the whole deck and take it to somebody who knows what they are doing.  AZ recommends having them recharged with the deck in the machine but I've yet to find anyone that does house calls so I pulled the one bad one I had in a Merlin 768 and took it to the shop - worked fine upon reinstallation.  Check with Donut, he's up in Ione and might know of some sources for you even though he does most of his own repairs.

You might have to resort to a competitor you are familiar with who has their own service tech.  You could also use an appliance repair tech who carries R134a and maybe even R401a on his truck.  If you use an appliance guy then he'll need to tap the low side and when the machine is closed and running he wants to see the low side pressure between 18-20 lbs. when properly charged.

Given that Vendo is headquartered in Fresno, they probably have the most presence in your area. I would never attempt to recharge a compressor myself as you can really do some damage if you overcharge it. Best bet is to yank the whole deck and take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. AZ recommends having them recharged with the deck in the machine but I've yet to find anyone that does house calls so I pulled the one bad one I had in a Merlin 768 and took it to the shop - worked fine upon reinstallation. Check with Donut, he's up in Ione and might know of some sources for you even though he does most of his own repairs.

They are now in Dallas tx

Archived