Jammed can

I have an old(er) Dixie Narco 8 select single price. Column 6 has a can jammed in it every time I go there.

Ive emptied and cleaned it, ran 50 or so cans without an issue while I'm there.

Every service, jammed can. The difference this time is I cant get the can out.

Is there a release so I can turn the auger in reverse to free the can?

Yes... here are the steps I do whenever I run into this problem:

1) either UNPLUG THE MACHINE (preferred) or unplug the electronics using the barrel plug located on the bottom left corner of the machine near the refrigeration unit.  it simply pulls apart.

2)  take the motor cover off.

3)  look at the motor holding the jammed can, there is a brake under the motor that simply rocks maybe 1 mm from it's braking point to the unbraked point.  simply push on the brake with minimal pressure and the column will begin to spin releasing the pressure of the motor and allowing you to get the can out.

4) put the motor cover back on properly (if you haven't done it before, there are probably two metal "tabs" on either side and you simply have to get the holes on the cover to align with the tabs).

5) plug the machine back up.

That's all there is to it.  It's really easy once you've done it a few times... 

As for your problem, you may have a bad brake on that motor.  It is odd that it works fine when you try it but it gets jammed after you leave... perhaps it is a weak motor too.  The only other issue I know of is a warped rotor and you should be able to tell if it's bent when it's empty.  Try turning the rotor by hand (with power off) while using the brake.... see if the rotor lines up perfectly (straight) with the rest of the column.

If you need parts, ASK AZVENDOR LOL

To add to what Chris said, the motor brake is disengaged by pressing (with power removed from the motor or the machine) on the brass arm that hugs the motor magnet.  This will immediately allow the pressure against the can to be released and the rotor will turn backwards a short distance.  You should then be able to extract the can.  The fact that this has happened more than once increases the likelihood that you have a bent or twisted rotor.  Each time a can gets stuck the rotor will twist a little more.  To check for a twist, perform a manual or test vend to turn the rotor, with the column empty, one vend position at a time.  One of the stopping points will put the leading edge of the rotor next to the right sidewall of the column.  At this point look at the gap between the rotor edge and the sidewall.  If there is not an even gap front to back then your rotor is twisted and must be replaced. 

The most common cause of a two deep rotor to jam cans is if the white product shim is missing from the left side of the column.  That shim is to help the cans reload into the rotor without jamming.  The shim allows the rear can to fall into the rotor before the front can does and prevents can jams. 

If you need a rotor or white shim to fix this problem you can send me a PM. 

Back in the late 90's the cans were changed to a different style known as the 501 can. Most vendors loaded the cans top to back so you could see the dates on the cans. But when the column (single column) got down to the last dozen cans (dixie narco) the bottom of the can would get stuck on the soldout paddle. This was because during the load cycle the rotor will rise just enough to lodge the paddle into the butt of the can. Because there isn't enough weight on the cans any longer the can would tip down and get lodge in the rotor. Pepsi didn't believe me so we setup four vendors of different sizes and they hired temp help that did nothing but load and vend these vendors for days. 

So if the front can is jamming with the butt out? Turn cans with the top out. Or you can bend the soldout paddle in the downward direction just a tad. Unplug vendor and take a long screwdriver and place it between the motors and soldout switch cover. Place the screwdriver against the  small part of the paddle just above the larger part of the paddle and bend it down just a little. The paddle should be facing down not out. If you bend it to far you will have to take off the soldout cover and bend tap up a little so the switches are not depressed.

If this isn't the problem then the bent rotor or shim is missing. I usually unload the column turn the rotor by the motor and listen to rotor as its turning. A bent rotor will (most of the time) make a groaning sound or metal grinding sound when turning. A visual inspection of rotor may confirm this. Go back to AZ's post for further instructions. 

I solved my jamming issues by loading the cans butt to butt. It seems the can bottoms have a lip on them now that locks into to top of the other can. I noticed when the column is cycled, one whole row drops down just before the other one does. With the lids and bottoms slightly locked together, the front can gets pulled down at an angle causing a jamb. I may be totally off on this, but my older DN's don't jamb anymore when I change the way I load the cans.

Allen 

It was on the pre 90 Dixie Narco's that had the problem. 

You can tell a bent can rotor by just the sound. With everything perfect the first can will drop in cup and just after that the back one will fall in. If there is a hestian for the back can to drop it is because the cup or rotor is bent. Do some of the columns that working correctly and not jamming and then the one that seams to be jamming. You should be able to tell the difference. I have seen them so bent the back can won't even drop.

You can make it a single column till you get the parts to fix it

Thanks rmorris1953. I'm just a hack, but most of my machines are old Pepsi labeled DN and Vendo 2 row. The bent rotor/cup makes sense due to the issue just starting. Thanks for the help (although I'm not the original person that posted this topic). What do you think bends the rotors or cup? I have one machine that the end of the cup broke off and fell into the can chute. I just thought it was normal wear. However, I wonder if it could've been bent and finally broke all the way?

The guys that I bought my route from still call the aluminum cans the "new soft can". They said when the cans where switched from tin to aluminum, that's when all their troubles started. LoL

Ok, serviced the machine again. Looks like a can may have exploded. I released the THREE rows that were jammed up. Checked if the rotors were bent, they'er not. Washed as much of the inside as I could. Loaded it back up, butt to butt. Run the entire machine and it worked flawlessly.

Shims are in place, rotors straight, goop cleaned out. Lets hope this solves it.

Thank you all for your help.

Archived