Dixie Narco

Veteran78

Hey guys, what model is this Dixie Narco? The machine no longer cools, had it serviced with freon about 3 months ago and it's already depleted. How do I service it myself? What can I do to fix the problem? Do I have to replace the compressor unit?

Thanks in advance!

Dixie Narco

With the 6 buttons and a Coke door it means that you have 7 columns in the machine or it might perhaps have only 6 wide columns because I don't recall a 7 column machine that Dixie made back then (the 90's).  If it leaked the freon out in less than 6 months then the leak is going to be pretty easy to find by a technician, but it won't be anything you can do yourself.  You must have the right tools, equipment and freon, not to mention the know-how and experience to repair it properly.  Of course this is dependent on your cooling unit working fine otherwise, with the condenser and evaporator fans working, the thermostat working and the compressor actually running and not having bad valves.  If a fan is out then that is your problem, if it never turns on then it could be the thermostat and if all is running you could find it has bad valves in the compressor, meaning it's bad.

If you need a unit you can PM me for a replacement but I would need more info on your machine model.

Word of caution to those that want to do it yourself or have a buddy who is a auto mechanic

Don't

A auto has very high pressures unlike a vendor cooling deck. A auto mechanic is not qualified to work on these compressors. They will try to service it like a car and charge it with to much freon. Most auto freon also has oil in it if using small cans.

Overcharging a unit can cause extremely high pressures and can cause the compressor to overheat. It could also build enough pressure to blow out the side of the compressor where the terminals and relay are. When this happens it will shoot  oil and sparks out. And then you have a fire.  

Tips

Is the cabinet hot or cool. Hot like 90 + degrees means compressor isn't running at all. Cool like room temp or below look at evaporator and see if there is ice build up. A little ice indicates a freon leak and needs serviced. Covered in frost means most of the time a air leak. Check door seal around delivery and make sure delivery door isn't sticking or missing. 

Now is condenser fan running? If not feel the condenser if it is hot to touch then the condenser fan motor is defective. Note on newer factory cooling decks Embraco compressors have the wiring configured to shut condenser fan motor off when compressor is hot. Have no idea why.... So you might have to wait a few minutes for it to cool off and restart.

Make sure vendor isn't against the wall and has at least 3 inches to breath.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Here's the rest of the story that I got from my point of contact of the location. The previous owner had to recharge the freon in it every 6-8 months. Unfortunately, the ONLY person that had serviced machines in this area is no longer able to due to health issues. So my options at this point are VERY limited.

The simple solution, but not the least expensive, would be to replace the cooling unit. I believe you can find one for around $300 refurbed. You can be up and making money quickly, then repair the old unit as a backup. Same unit will also work in the 501/E model which is also very popular.

Yes, the unit is completely sealed and charged. You need to remove the delivery chute and remove 4 screws that hold evap coil to base. Then remove front tray molding and then there are 2 9/16 bolts that hold deck to floor do machine. Old unit will slide out then the new one slides in. For first time doing this it will Yale less than 45 min. I am not sure where you are located, but there several sites to acquire on of these units. First place to check is with AZVendor. I hope this helps

I think if you ask around you can find someone that will service this unit if you remove it from the machine and put it in his shop.  The guy you are looking for works on refrigerated restaurant equipment. He will say no if you do not show him a photo of the unit out of the machine and he can see nothing is in his way. He will also say no if he thinks what him to work cheap.  

It is very common in this business to do slip shot work like the last vender had done.  No time or effort is spent locating and fixing leaks just pump in the gas and run off to the next call come back in 6 months and do it again.

I say if it leaked and you did not find and fix a leak you did a half AXX job.  

Good refrigeration work takes time and the people that do good work don’t work cheap.

If your plan is to build a route and fill it with 20 year old used machines this will be an ongoing problem. If you have a 100 old machines on the street you will have 4 or 5 fail every year after they have been a place a few years it may go down to 2 or 3.

Moving old refrigeration equipment around is hard on it all the shaking and vibration is a bad thing for all the joints.

It is probably a 250.00 leak repair plus your time.

Walt

Just a tip, but I use small cardboard boxes (whatever I can) that are strong enough to hold the weight of the evaporator. I wedge those boxes between the compressor/condenser and the evaporator so the refrigeration lines don't flex too much during my trip. I drive 200 miles round trip to exchange my units with refurbished ones. It may cost me $30 in fuel, but it's worth it.

Just a tip, but I use small cardboard boxes (whatever I can) that are strong enough to hold the weight of the evaporator. I wedge those boxes between the compressor/condenser and the evaporator so the refrigeration lines don't flex too much during my trip. I drive 200 miles round trip to exchange my units with refurbished ones. It may cost me $30 in fuel, but it's worth it.

276 is a 2 deep machine and a 276E is a 3 deep machine and his pic is identical  to my 276.

John

Yes, this is a two deep machine. Thanks again for all the feedback. I recently purchased this business, so I'm learning everything as it comes. My goal is to replace all the old machines that consistently break and gives problems. It's tough though when I'm trying to expand my locations as well.

Archived