What's your malfunction?

Chas

Does this happen to others?  I'm a relative newbie, and I have Northwestern machines almost exclusively.  On one rack with Super 80's and Super 60's, I occasionally get notified by the location that the little customers put their money in, crank the handle all the way around, and don't get a product.  That happened yesterday, with both a Super 80 and a Super 60.  When I showed up, they had taped "Out of order" signs on the machines. I fed them quarters repeatedly, and kept getting 2" capsules out of the Super 80 and bouncy balls out of the Super 60.  I couldn't get the machines to malfunction and duplicate the problems.  Oh, and the employee who called me claimed to have seen the problems occur, too.  Is it normal to have sporadic malfunctions?  If the employee hadn't claimed to have seen it happen, I would figure that the kids lied to get some more quarters, but I don't know what to think, now. 

I will admit, I have seen one of the Super 80's malfunction, myself.  Sometimes the wheel goes around without a capsule falling into the next empty chamber.  I checked to make sure all springs are in place, and I made sure the agitator springs were splayed out as widely as they are on other machines.  Is there something wrong with the machines that I haven't figure out, or is this just a periodic malfunction I am supposed to tolerate?

Capsules will bridge occasionally and customers and employees will occasionally lie. Cheerfully refund their money and go on. Sometimes the wheel will get worn or the mech break so always check but it doesn't happen often

Little ones can also confuse nickels with quarters, giving user error the appearance of a misvend. Musser's absolutely right, gladly refund. I find it can also be worth my time to do a little educating with the employee. If it keeps happening, leave a few dollars in quarters for refunds and ask if, in the future, they wouldn't mind trying to duplicate the misvend (or place a service call to you) instead of placing out of order on the machines. That can be a killer to your bottom line if it's one of your two best sellers on the rack sitting out.of order (when it really isn't) for.an entire service cycle.

On a Super 60, if the globe is too tight the mech and wheel will jump a tooth or two resulting in a mis-vend. You want it to hold everything together but not super tight.  Also if you vend without the gasket under the globe the wheel could be too loose and the same thing happen.

On the 80 machines if the product is too heavy it will cause mis-vends. Are you using a baffle?  Also if the front  is really old it will slip down not allowing the teeth to mesh properly.  You can adjust this by the 2 tabs at the bottom of the front face plate.

Archived