Pepsi vs. Coke - will sales change by switching brands

I've had a difficult time setting up an account with Coke direct so I usually shop at Sam's club for my soda. I've noticed that Pepsi products are $0.07 cheaper per can however I currently have coke in my accounts with soda. I'm a pretty small operator but at the moment I average 300 can sales per week so I was planning to switch to Pepsi to improve the margin a bit. 

I know personally if I want a soda while I always prefer Pepsi without question there is never a time I didn't buy a soda from a vending machine because it only had Coke but before I assume that goes for everyone and switch out all my coke products for pepsi I figured I'd ask if you all agree with that statement that's sales shouldn't change by switching to Pepsi.

I've had a difficult time setting up an account with Coke direct so I usually shop at Sam's club for my soda. I've noticed that Pepsi products are $0.07 cheaper per can however I currently have coke in my accounts with soda. I'm a pretty small operator but at the moment I average 300 can sales per week so I was planning to switch to Pepsi to improve the margin a bit.

I know personally if I want a soda while I always prefer Pepsi without question there is never a time I didn't buy a soda from a vending machine because it only had Coke but before I assume that goes for everyone and switch out all my coke products for pepsi I figured I'd ask if you all agree with that statement that's sales shouldn't change by switching to Pepsi.

When I have a coke machine and Pepsi machine next to each other my coke machine usually does double what my Pepsi machine does....

It's all about location, culture etc

I have Pepsi n coke in one of my factories and whata know RC out sales them both here's how the sales go down number one is as follows

Sunkist, big red, root beer, then coke, Sprite, mtn dew, Pepsi

I dont buy products directly from them there to high I catch the local sales

Mix the Pepsi in with the Coke as you should offer both of the leading brands in any generic machine.  If you don't you will lose sales from people who prefer the other major brand of soda.

I've had a difficult time setting up an account with Coke direct so I usually shop at Sam's club for my soda. I've noticed that Pepsi products are $0.07 cheaper per can however I currently have coke in my accounts with soda. I'm a pretty small operator but at the moment I average 300 can sales per week so I was planning to switch to Pepsi to improve the margin a bit. 

I know personally if I want a soda while I always prefer Pepsi without question there is never a time I didn't buy a soda from a vending machine because it only had Coke but before I assume that goes for everyone and switch out all my coke products for pepsi I figured I'd ask if you all agree with that statement that's sales shouldn't change by switching to Pepsi.

Here on the left coast, Coke outsells Pepsi about 4 to 1 and I'd have a riot if I tried to drop the Coke in favor of Pepsi only.  That said, this is really a regional issue - your area may be completely different.  Even though Coke does cost a bit more,  I'll go for the fast nickel versus the slow dime every time.  By now you should know how Coke sells versus Pepsi - if the lower price is your main concern, just put Shasta in there.  Higher profit margins mean nothing if your volume drops off the map.

In one of my locations Shasta Grape out sells Coke or Dr Pepper, forget Pepsi!

Another location Dr Pepper, then Coke, then Pepsi, Sprite last.

I know it is crazy, but hey it makes money.

cajun 

In one of my locations Shasta Grape out sells Coke or Dr Pepper, forget Pepsi!

Another location Dr Pepper, then Coke, then Pepsi, Sprite last.

I know it is crazy, but hey it makes money.

cajun 

You're in a for-profit business, so if it makes money, do it! 

One thing I hate is when the owner asks for something not considering if his/her employees will like it.  I had an owner want to replace Powerade Zero for Powerade and my sales dropped like 80%.  The owner told me his wife wanted him to cut down his sugar.  I'll eventually switch it back and it's a good account that I make a ton on in soda sales so I don't mind "experimenting" a bit.

You're in a for-profit business, so if it makes money, do it! 

RealTalk FTW!!

In the end, personal preference has little to do with sales.  If you're smart, you sell what your customers are buying.

Archived