MEI Bill Acceptor Problem

winning123

The weirdest thing is happening to a MEI 2511 bill acceptor that I have on a 501E.   It started to show 2 blinks which indicates VMC controller inactivates reader.  What could cause this.  not sure if I should install another bill acceptor, but this has happened twice in two days. I am trying to get to the root cause. Handled both times by unplugging machine. 

There's a good chance that your coin mech is the problem.  You might be low on change (nickels), have a bad tube sensor, or other various coin mech issues.  The easiest thing to do is to change out the coin mech.  Here's the thing.. the 501e is capable of MDB and you would be wise to get an MDB harness, mech, and validator in my opinion.  Despite other people claiming it was impossible, I had a 501e with an MDB coin mech hooked up directly to the MDB harness going to the board and a separate weird harness that hooked up to a 2511.  However, 501e's usually have all MDB or all 110v components.  So.. please confirm the model of the coin mech here and double confirm that the validator is a 2511.

Again, it's likely a faulty coin mech and a very easy fix.  Just unplug the barrel plug at the bottom of the cabinet to remove power from the electronics, unhook the suspected coin mech and connect the good coin mech and reconnect the barrel plug.

Edit: I am a little confused when you say the 2 blinks inactivates "reader."  2 blinks means disabled from controller/VMC and has nothing to do with the reader.  Are you saying you have a card reader on it that isn't working or was that just a matter of misspeaking?

19 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

There's a good chance that your coin mech is the problem.  You might be low on change (nickels), have a bad tube sensor, or other various coin mech issues.  The easiest thing to do is to change out the coin mech.  Here's the thing.. the 501e is capable of MDB and you would be wise to get an MDB harness, mech, and validator in my opinion.  Despite other people claiming it was impossible, I had a 501e with an MDB coin mech hooked up directly to the MDB harness going to the board and a separate weird harness that hooked up to a 2511.  However, 501e's usually have all MDB or all 110v components.  So.. please confirm the model of the coin mech here and double confirm that the validator is a 2511.

Again, it's likely a faulty coin mech and a very easy fix.  Just unplug the barrel plug at the bottom of the cabinet to remove power from the electronics, unhook the suspected coin mech and connect the good coin mech and reconnect the barrel plug.

Edit: I am a little confused when you say the 2 blinks inactivates "reader."  2 blinks means disabled from controller/VMC and has nothing to do with the reader.  Are you saying you have a card reader on it that isn't working or was that just a matter of misspeaking?

Two blinks on  the bill acceptor.  Its the 2511 for sure.  I had to take a second look.  You are spot on with the setup.  Bill acceptor connected to board.  MDB coin mech to board. MIght just Bill acceptor and coin mech.  

I always swap the coin mech when I get problems like this.  Nine times out of ten, swapping coin mechs fixes it.  The mech is probably telling the board that it can't give change, which disables the bill acceptor.  It could be other things as well but 2 blinks almost always indicates that something else (coin mech, board, door switch, etc..) is causing the problem.  In rare instances, the problem is the bill acceptor itself but it sounds like you made sure that the bill acceptor is not the problem.

Archived