Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
VendingKingllc

New Machine Thoughts/Questions

Recommended Posts

So I am very new, like haven't even owned or placed a machine ever, and have tried reading all the tread pages (got to about pg38 or so in 2 days).  From my research everyone says to purchase used machines to start out, but I would like new for a few reasons.  First off, cash is not a concern at the moment, and the ROI will eventually come even if its longer than expected, so I am not to worried here.  Secondly, I am wanting to start something right from the beginning and having all of the same machines and all of the same keys would be very beneficial when route collecting or if I ever go to sell years from now.  Last, I would not have to worry about them breaking as much (or at least you would hope not).  My overall goal is to place just single head gumball machines and maybe an occasional 2 head with gumball and skittles or gumball and bouncy balls.  I have heard and seen many people successful with just gumball machines and it looks like I would be in the $7/machine/location/month range.  That means if I had 100 machines I would net approx $700/month (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Now my main question.  I realize most gumball machine companies have closed down and that the best companies to purchase are NW, Oak or Beaver.  However, I cant find NW or Oak anywhere and the beaver machines are like $500+.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places?  What I did find is an Eagle machine here: https://www.candymachines.com/Eagle-Metal-Bulk-Vending-Machine-with-Stand-P5910.aspx .  If I were to buy 100 of these over the course of 1-2 years what are your thoughts?  Are Eagle machines good?  I know everyone said to stay away from Rhino's so those are definitely out of the picture.  I assume I can get 1 key made regardless if I make 5 different purchases of 20 from the same website and just specify I want one key to match all on my account?

Again, my overall goal is to keep it simple, mostly single head gumballs, and this will be in addition to my Honor Boxes.  Thank you in advance for any and all help.  So far this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the mfg's are gone.

Last I heard you are down to Beaver and Eagle.

I would go with Eagle, they are Oak copies, easily the most common machine design, parts are easy to come by.

As for Eagle that website has some pretty high prices.

I'm gonna call Eagle tomorrow, and see if they are still taking orders factory direct. Much better prices that way. PM me if I don't reply in this thread.

Honestly, with bulk the new premium is pretty low, especially if you need to do significant work on used machines.

But, if you find used machines in good condition, with clean globes and nice paint don't be afraid to buy used. Bulk machines don't usually break, they just start looking like crap. Oaks are easily the most common used machines out there, which is nice because they use the same parts as Eagles, if you want commonality. I would use my own locks anyway that are registered to me, because everyone and their cousin has the factory keys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, definitely go with Eagle if you are looking for new machines. You can give them a call at (909) 447-7866. You will get a price break depending on how many machines you are looking to purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow thank you guys for the fast response and thorough info.  Sounds like my thoughts were right that new Eagle is the way to go.  I will give them a call and find out what they can offer a "newbie" =).  ORSD, that is a very great point on the locks/keys.  Are they hard to replace?  I found some replacement locks on Amazon for about $5 a piece.  Is that how you do it and just pop the old ones out?

Edited by VendingKingllc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VendingKingllc said:

Wow thank you guys for the fast response and thorough info.  Sounds like my thoughts were right that new Eagle is the way to go.  I will give them a call and find out what they can offer a "newbie" =).  ORSD, that is a very great point on the locks/keys.  Are they hard to replace?  I found some replacement locks on Amazon for about $5 a piece.  Is that how you do it and just pop the old ones out?

Here is my take. These other guys have been around longer than I have. I have been in bulk vending a little over a year. I am a quick learner! :)  These guys have given me some very good information! As to your question and statements here is my take:

#1. Buy Northwestern, Beaver or Eagle. I personally use Northwestern. There are parts aplenty, lots of people will sell or trade parts and NEN has bought the tool and die for the machines from NW. NW is now NEN. They are making new parts for them. I ordered some from them earlier this year but they are now being distributed by Cardinal, AA, and someone else, cant think of them off the top of my head. All my parts are interchangeable and I already know what size tools to use and have those packed ready to be used specifically for those type machines. Makes it easy. Granted I do have the odd Uturn, Vendstar, Routemaster and Beaver in my route but that came before I bought my current route. All NW's and some NW's still in boxes. 

#2 Sell gumballs and bouncy balls as much as possible. They are cheap, have a great margin and gumballs take forever to go bad it seems. Try to stay away from chocolate as much as you can. Some of my locations require pnut mm or regular mm so I stock it for them. But the only reason I do, is because it does move quick at those particular locations. In MY region tab gum moves just as good as gumballs. Others have had mixed results. Some regions say tab gum is a total dud.

#3 Rumor has it that NEN is going to begin production of new machines for their own use and to the public (us operators) I am really hoping this is the case. Please NEN. :) You cant have ALL the locations LOL

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#4 Several operator friends that I have befriended use Eagle as well. I hear it is a great alternative and shouldn't give you any problems, dependable like NW is. Oak/Eagle are interchangeable. NW is not interchangeable with Eagle I am afraid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VendingKingllc said:

Wow thank you guys for the fast response and thorough info.  Sounds like my thoughts were right that new Eagle is the way to go.  I will give them a call and find out what they can offer a "newbie" =).  ORSD, that is a very great point on the locks/keys.  Are they hard to replace?  I found some replacement locks on Amazon for about $5 a piece.  Is that how you do it and just pop the old ones out?

Replacing the lock is literally no harder than servicing the machine, you will remove the lock every time you want to take the lid off the fill the machine.

For locks use a custom code ordered from Baton, Camlock inc, or LAI.

Also, just got off the phone with Eagle, if you order more than 15 the price is pretty good.

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I personally like about the Eagle panel heads is if the plastic panel breaks you can just replace the one panel. I have many eagle machines and have never had a panel break. If a Northwestern or Oak globe breaks you will have to replace the entire globe...Oak globes are very difficult to find and both A&A and Oak are out of business. 

Northwestern is a very good machine, but more pricey than Eagle. I like Northwestern's 2" capsule machines and their super 60's for racks. For single head or double head machines with gumballs, Eagle would be my first choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orsd said:

Replacing the lock is literally no harder than servicing the machine, you will remove the lock every time you want to take the lid off the fill the machine.

For locks use a custom code ordered from Baton, Camlock inc, or LAI.

Also, just got off the phone with Eagle, if you order more than 15 the price is pretty good.

 

.

LAI, or did you mean LSI? Wondering if it’s a typo or I’m just I’ll informed. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mehehe said:

LAI was correct

https://www.laigroup.com/

 

Okay, thanks! Ordered my full line keys from LSI which is why I was confused. Apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SSVEND said:

What I personally like about the Eagle panel heads is if the plastic panel breaks you can just replace the one panel. I have many eagle machines and have never had a panel break. If a Northwestern or Oak globe breaks you will have to replace the entire globe...Oak globes are very difficult to find and both A&A and Oak are out of business. 

Northwestern is a very good machine, but more pricey than Eagle. I like Northwestern's 2" capsule machines and their super 60's for racks. For single head or double head machines with gumballs, Eagle would be my first choice.

I called AA Global a few months ago and they said they are the ones who manufacture the globes for NW machines. They still have them and are $8.00 a piece. *shrug* Just sharing that info. Yes I can see where the panel heads would be better for the scratching etc. I can usually turn mine some but eventually the scratches will show thru. Love my Super 60's for my racks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, petersvending said:

Here is my take. These other guys have been around longer than I have. I have been in bulk vending a little over a year. I am a quick learner! :)  These guys have given me some very good information! As to your question and statements here is my take:

#1. Buy Northwestern, Beaver or Eagle. I personally use Northwestern. There are parts aplenty, lots of people will sell or trade parts and NEN has bought the tool and die for the machines from NW. NW is now NEN. They are making new parts for them. I ordered some from them earlier this year but they are now being distributed by Cardinal, AA, and someone else, cant think of them off the top of my head. All my parts are interchangeable and I already know what size tools to use and have those packed ready to be used specifically for those type machines. Makes it easy. Granted I do have the odd Uturn, Vendstar, Routemaster and Beaver in my route but that came before I bought my current route. All NW's and some NW's still in boxes. 

#2 Sell gumballs and bouncy balls as much as possible. They are cheap, have a great margin and gumballs take forever to go bad it seems. Try to stay away from chocolate as much as you can. Some of my locations require pnut mm or regular mm so I stock it for them. But the only reason I do, is because it does move quick at those particular locations. In MY region tab gum moves just as good as gumballs. Others have had mixed results. Some regions say tab gum is a total dud.

#3 Rumor has it that NEN is going to begin production of new machines for their own use and to the public (us operators) I am really hoping this is the case. Please NEN. :) You cant have ALL the locations LOL

 

 

For point #2, you have read my mind!  I think ill plan to only run Gumballs, Bouncy Balls, and occasionally skittles (heard they were also good for candy).  My question now becomes am I better getting singles and just running gumballs, BB's or Skittles, or doubles and mix and match?  I know you all wont be able to give me 100% accurate answers as it depends by account, location, customers, etc, but if you were to try and simply as much as possible what would your best thoughts be on this?  Clearly in my eyes a single with gumballs only is the best, but I am also trying to maximize the most returns.  

 

Everyone else, thanks for the key info very good to know!  I absolutely love this forum and the willingness to help each other.  I think I learned more here than in college =P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VAVending said:

LAI, or did you mean LSI? Wondering if it’s a typo or I’m just I’ll informed. :)

LAI.

They do bulk locks.

LSI is good too, I like their fulll line locks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, orsd said:

LAI.

They do bulk locks.

LSI is good too, I like their fulll line locks.

Good to know, apologies for my confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×