Upgrading Bill Validators

Alex

I have three older vending machines that are not MDB compatible. I would love to have card readers but since that is not an option, I would like to upgrade my bill validators. Currently, my machine only accepts ones. Can I simply buy a new bill validator with the same voltage & upgrade to one that accepts 5's, 10's, and 20's? When doing this do I also have to upgrade the coin mech? Would love to know if this is possible and if I can just do this myself vs. hiring somebody to do it for me. 

Thanks! 

You would want to upgrade your changers if your taking higher denominations than $1s. If your machines are super old you can't really upgrade the changers because they don't offer one. Some accounts don't use anymore than 1s and coins that's where these machines belong-at those stops. 

So changing out the bill validators would require to also buy new coin mechs? One of my machines is super old but the other two are from the 90’s. 

How many quarters or dollar coins do your existing changers hold?

How much change are they getting back after a vend when they start pumping $5 bills in? 

You mentioned taking 10s and 20s (bad idea in my opinion if your selling a bag of chips or a can of soda). 

Are you there everyday to replenish the empty change tubes? 

I own creative vending machines, so the products go up to $15 - 1’s and 5’s would be fine. Currently it’s just difficult for our clients to buy the more expensive products. The coin tubes carry quarters, dimes, and nickels and all three are just standard coin tubes. I think each carries about $6 in quarters...

How in the hell are you selling $15 items out of a vending machine with an old bill acceptor and 3 tube coin mech? You need a newer machine or upgrade to an inOne board,new bill acceptor and new coin mech (pick your poison) then throw a cc reader on it. 

I know! That’s my problem. These machines cannot be upgraded to have cc readers. Only one can upgrade the board and it would cost $1200 (more than I bought the machine for). Eventually I will buy new ones, but right now my only option is to upgrade the bill validator.

Dump the last two and put an aftermarket board in the AP machine.  That is the best advice I can give you.  You are using dinosaurs to sell high end items out of and that is the worst thing you could have done.  Your lack of vending experience shows.  The Lektrovend is totally unsupported and has been for 30 years.  The USI is too old to bother with, 30+ years.  The AP is worthwhile but not at the cost of upgrading it as it is 30 years old as well.  There are much newer machines out there that are already MDB machines and then you only need to upgrade the validator for up to $20 acceptance and you can put card readers on them.  None of these machines were designed to accept more than a $1 bill and they can't run a 4 or 5 tube mech with substantial coin storage or even $1 coin payouts.

Yeah, I know all of this - my repairman said the same exact thing. But, I’m not made of cash, and right now I’m just looking to see if I can upgrade my bill validators on my own (not on the Lektrovend) so I can afford to sell these one by one and buy MDB machines. 

You can purchase versions of your current validators updated to new currency (2008) which means they will take $5 bills, depending on models.  Then see if the machine can handle it.  Make sure that you turn the $5 option switch on on each validator.  You also didn't say what model validators you have.  That will matter.  This is a business where you have to spend money to make money so you may be in the wrong business.  I would sell all three machines and get one good one.

MEI makes a "recycler" bill validator where if a 20.00 bill is inserted, it will give bills back as change (providing there is enough in the validator).... though I think they may be only for 24v MDB systems.  Maybe check them out.

Otherwise, I have to agree with AZ.  Your selling rather expensive items for vending machines, unless your machines are in a dusty dirty shop environment, it may be time to upgrade.  Your clientele will likely spend more money and give you a better ROI.  Then maybe raise prices.....

We've got a bunch of older machines as well (the USI-3014 is one).  Although were selling chips to a repair shop, and the sales in the machine don't justify even a card reader at this point.  So that machine will not be upgraded for a while.  (Till some more money makers get upgraded first).  With 5.00 and up items, you would definitely benefit from MDB/ card readers.....  I am no expert and only been in the biz for a couple years... Just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Definitely, I’m super inexperienced, but after hearing all of these posts I spoke to a repairman & vending provider and I’m moving forward with selling the older ones and buying new MDB machines. Just makes the most sense at this point. Thanks all!

Short answer: you cannot replace the validator to accept anything above $5 bills without purchasing at least one other part.  For about $475, you could get an inone board and a vn 2702 but you could run out of change fast without a 5 tube coin mech (extra $150).  There is no cheap way to do this.