WTB: USI SM6 Control Board

RaleighNC

Hi,

I am looking to buy a few USI SM6 boards with the 67185-8 eprom/firmware. I have the same boards that work fine in a few USI 3184 snack machines, but they do not report cash sales through my Cantaloupe readers so I want to upgrade them for more accurate pre-kitting. According to VendNet, and from my personal experience, unless you have the 67185-8 chip, you don't get the cash sales reporting feature since the other firmwares are too early.

Happy to trade my existing boards + cash for yours, buy yours outright, or even just buy the eprom if that's something that can be removed on this board and it's not soldered in (I haven't looked to see if this control board has a removable eprom chip like other machines).

Let me know if you can help!

4 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Just order the chips from Vendnet.  They are manually replaceable with no soldering.

I believe I checked with them last week and they didn’t sell them anymore. Going to call again today but that was my first spot to check. I’ll give D&S a call and Vendors Exchange too. Just didn’t know if someone here had them readily available and willing to part with. 

I'm sadly surprised that USI won't support their SM6 boards with newer chips.  Are you saying that the 67185-8 Eprom provides what you need? If so then you just need to find someone with a chip burner that can read one of your chips and burn you new ones. Years ago we used to do this for the various AP213 coffee configuration chips for machines we serviced and rebuilt. Hopefully D&S or Vendors Exchange have seen the need for this since they can make money from it.  You can also try Capital Vending.  

1 hour ago, AZVendor said:

If so then you just need to find someone with a chip burner that can read one of your chips and burn you new ones

The party with the burner also needs to have a copy of the firmware you're looking for uploaded into their burner.  If they don't have it,  they will need a copy of the correct chip with firmware to read and upload.

Unless USI secured the chip on your board, you may well be able to have that one "reflashed".  If USI did secure the chip for one-time use, you'll need a blank.  

6 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

I believe I checked with them last week and they didn’t sell them anymore. Going to call again today but that was my first spot to check. I’ll give D&S a call and Vendors Exchange too. Just didn’t know if someone here had them readily available and willing to part with. 

Like AZ and Mike said,

If you have a board with the 67185-8 chip, and feel comfortable sending it to me.  I can probably source some eeproms (If I don't have the correct ones) and burn them for you.  I wouldn't charge much more than the cost of the blank chips.

LMK as I too would like to get cash sales on some of my SM6 boards (one in particular).

6 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Like AZ and Mike said,

If you have a board with the 67185-8 chip, and feel comfortable sending it to me.  I can probably source some eeproms (If I don't have the correct ones) and burn them for you.  I wouldn't charge much more than the cost of the blank chips.

LMK as I too would like to get cash sales on some of my SM6 boards (one in particular).

Thank you very much for the kind offer. Unfortunately, I only have a few machines in storage and they're the ones with the old e-proms. The only ones with the desired e-proms are out on the field and would be too much of a pain to get them and send them off.

I'll see if I can get one somehow and send it off to you and we can make a few copies. I was slammed today but I did manage to call D&S and they didn't really help out too much. I'll give the other suppliers a call tomorrow to see if it's more straightforward.

9 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Another option may be to contact vend net directly to see what chip part number is used and if they can send the .bin file through email to one of us. And I can burn the chips that way. 

I'll give this a shot. Vendor's Exchange didn't have any. D&S needs the serial number of the machine and board so they can call USI I guess and see if they can do it or not (which I don't have presently as they're away in storage). Seems like all routes lead to Vendnet.

Spoke to a gentleman in the parts department at Vendnet who confirmed they do not sell just the eproms anymore. They used to 2-3 years ago, but not anymore. If I wanted to send my boards in to get updated, they will do that, but it's a 2-3 mo. turnaround time and I didn't get the cost of that.

I asked about getting the .bin file and burning it to some blank eproms and he said he'd have to look into that and check with a guy named Dale who is supposed to contact me. It's possible they can do it, and if they do, I will gladly share that with you and pay for your services to burn a few eproms for me.

Thanks sir!

Great! Let me know what he says. Get the bin file as well as the chip part number.

that is if Dale calls you back. Which I am not super hopeful knowing the track record of vendnets tech support as of late.

do any of your boards have that chip? Cause I can copy it if you felt like sending the board to me.

1 minute ago, tblake05 said:

Great! Let me know what he says. Get the bin file as well as the chip part number.

that is if Dale calls you back. Which I am not super hopeful knowing the track record of vendnets tech support as of late.

do any of your boards have that chip? Cause I can copy it if you felt like sending the board to me.

Yes, just the one on site. If this doesn't work, I will probably just switch boards while I send it off to you so you can burn a few.

I will get the chip part number too if they do reach back out. Agreed, it's a long shot that I will hear back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 4:57 PM, RaleighNC said:

Yes, just the one on site. If this doesn't work, I will probably just switch boards while I send it off to you so you can burn a few.

I will get the chip part number too if they do reach back out. Agreed, it's a long shot that I will hear back.

Any word?

With gas at 4.00 a gallon and climbing, it would be nice to keep an eye on stock level and fill less frequently.

I've been watching ebay as well, but it seems older vending parts are kind of like finding a unicorn.

9 minutes ago, tblake05 said:

Any word?

With gas at 4.00 a gallon and climbing, it would be nice to keep an eye on stock level and fill less frequently.

I've been watching ebay as well, but it seems older vending parts are kind of like finding a unicorn.

Unfortunately, nothing. They never got back to me as we sort of figured. 

I got rid of my 3151 because I knew it would be a PITA.  Regardless, if I were you, I would just install the card reader and see what happens.  Worst case scenario, I have a spare card reader to use elsewhere.

• 1 year later...