Royal G3 GIII DEX for New Credit Card Readers - Royal Saying I Need Brand New Board

Charlie613

Hi All,

Any Royal savvy people here? I have a route with 5 or so bottler owned Royal G3s. 

I test installed a Castles touchscreen card reader. Everything works fine, it accepts payments etc. 

However, the reader is not DEXing out to my VMS (Parlevel).

Spoke to Royal today and they said that my board might be too old to remote DEX, and I'd need to pay $600 for a new board. 

Does that sound right to everyone?

IMG_2628.thumb.jpg.0dc5dc81d59138f5829089df12f02cfb.jpgPhoto(s) attached.IMG_2649.thumb.jpeg.2d6db0279c2207756a7c7d5ea7e691d1.jpeg

Yep.  I can't speak for the g3 boards specifically, but they should be very similar if not practically identical to Merlin 4 boards.  On Merlin 4 boards, if the eprom 67100-xx) ends in 01-04, there's nothing you can do but replace the board.  If it ends in 05, you can replace the eprom and be good to go.  There are even older boards as well and those boards also need to be replaced.

I see it's a blue button board so it should be upgradeable. Call your nearest Coinco service center and see if they have any used, repaired G3/G4 boards to sell. The one in Houston usually does. You'll probably need to sent that one in to be upgraded. Dieb repairs and upgrades most Royal boards as well. 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, AngryChris said:

Yep.  I can't speak for the g3 boards specifically, but they should be very similar if not practically identical to Merlin 4 boards.  On Merlin 4 boards, if the eprom 67100-xx) ends in 01-04, there's nothing you can do but replace the board.  If it ends in 05, you can replace the eprom and be good to go.  There are even older boards as well and those boards also need to be replaced.

Thank you for the help- luckily it was user error here

On 11/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, lacanteen said:

I see it's a blue button board so it should be upgradeable. Call your nearest Coinco service center and see if they have any used, repaired G3/G4 boards to sell. The one in Houston usually does. You'll probably need to sent that one in to be upgraded. Dieb repairs and upgrades most Royal boards as well. 

good reference there- thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. Was this pic taken with your castle system installed?  If so, the Dex port on the board has nothing plugged in. 

In my previous role, I worked on hundreds of the GIII boards and they all at least give a handshake when hooked up to a handheld tester.  Whether they're compliant with specific reader systems will be effected by the firmware.  Many of the issues I saw were broken solder joints at the dex port, dead batteries and chips with legs that didn't get soldered down during production giving intermittent issues.