Bevmax 5591 not cooling

If it is running and both fans are running, my guess would be you are low on freon.  Trying ti find a vending tech casn be a challenge, Thosde are not the easiest units to work on. If you can't find one, try a local bottler to see if any of their techs moonlight.  Just a shot in the dark.

If the compressor is cool or only warm from the fans running then your thermostat might be bad or a wire is burned on the side of the compressor.  If it's truly hot and it's running (which it should be since the condenser fans are on) then look at the evaporator in the right rear of the cabinet and see if it's solid white and frozen.  If it is then turn it off and let it defrost while you look for an air leak.  Check the shelf harnesses where they enter the cabinet, the gasket around the delivery bin (called the recovery unit), and the gasket on the glass door.  When you restart it then watch it over a few days to see if it begins to ice up again which is again, an air leak or low freon.  

Edited by AZVendor
  • Like 1

The evaporator is not frozen and I'm fairly certain both fans are on. What's the best way to test the thermostat & an air leak? My old man owned an HVAC company and used to have a solution he'd spray on pipes to help him detect any leaks- something like that? I'm trying to avoid paying for a new compressor ($1,000) or even a refurbished one ($400) and then running into the same issue. 

I’ve had issues with my 5591’s icing the evaporator. It’s hard to see the ice without pulling the lower shelf but you can see it. Sometimes it’s a thin layer in the backside. I would unplug the compressor and wait a couple hours. If it has any ice it will accumulate in the pan below the compressor. You can pull the delivery bin out and check for water accumulation. 

Edited by allen watson

31 minutes ago, Fermo Vending said:

Ok I'll check that out. Is the compressor unplugged from the backside of the machine, or do I need to remove the bottom tray for that as well? 

You can unplug it from inside the access door and still leave the rest of the machine running. The plug is below the control board at the power supply

What your Dad did was spray soapy water on fittings to see if it bubbled.  Most leaks don't occur at sweated fittings like these units have.  Also, you won't get a refurbished compressor for $400.  This runs a 1/2HP compressor that is more expensive than that.  We used to rebuild them for $800 but that price is up towards $1000 now.  A new unit for $1000 is better, IF you need a compressor, which you probably don't.

58 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

What your Dad did was spray soapy water on fittings to see if it bubbled.  Most leaks don't occur at sweated fittings like these units have.  Also, you won't get a refurbished compressor for $400.  This runs a 1/2HP compressor that is more expensive than that.  We used to rebuild them for $800 but that price is up towards $1000 now.  A new unit for $1000 is better, IF you need a compressor, which you probably don't.

What makes you believe it's not the compressor? I trust your experience more than the guy on the phone that said "it must be the compressor". Any 

10 minutes ago, Fermo Vending said:

What makes you believe it's not the compressor? I trust your experience more than the guy on the phone that said "it must be the compressor". Any 

The guy on the other side of the phone knows that if you’re calling him, then you wouldn’t know exactly what is wrong with it and hopes you bring it in so he can charge you.  

Well, to be fair to the guy he did sell it to me- I got it from D&S Vending, and he's offering me a replacement (refurbished) for 400$, or a new one for 1,000 with a one year warranty. I don't think he's trying to get over on me, but he's based out of Cleveland and can't actually look at the machine

D&S are good guys but like you said, they can't properly diagnose it over the phone.  The refurbished unit is probably a good, used unit that they might guarantee for 30 days.  When did you buy the machine from D&S and what was the warranty on it?  

As a refrigeration tech there’s no way I could determine the exact cause of a warm system without knowing the system pressures, if any. Not to mention a list of other checks.
My experience has been frozen evaporators due to air leaks, condenser fans failing and dirty condensers as the three top reasons for a warm cabinet. However, that’s just based on previous repairs and doesn’t mean that any of those are your problem. 
as far as compressors failing that is also a possibility but just a guess. Compressors rarely die they are usually killed. Mostly by liquid coolant entering thru the suction line. 
You really need to have a qualified refrigeration tech take a look at it. You can find them under HVAC and HVACR repair. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, AZVendor said:

If the compressor is cool or only warm from the fans running then your thermostat might be bad or a wire is burned on the side of the compressor.  If it's truly hot and it's running (which it should be since the condenser fans are on) then look at the evaporator in the right rear of the cabinet and see if it's solid white and frozen.  If it is then turn it off and let it defrost while you look for an air leak.  Check the shelf harnesses where they enter the cabinet, the gasket around the delivery bin (called the recovery unit), and the gasket on the glass door.  When you restart it then watch it over a few days to see if it begins to ice up again which is again, an air leak or low freon.  

Hey AZ, 

Wanted to give a quick update. I let the machine run over the weekend and I double checked the coils, it turns out one of them had some ice build up. It was a small section of the coil, but now i'm leaning more towards that the unit needs freon and the compressor might be good. I'm waiting to hear back from a tech that should be able to put freon in it. Do you have any other thoughts? 

Thanks a lot for your help

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Fermo Vending said:

I have a Bevmax 5591 that isn't cooling. Evaporator & condenser fan are running. Compressor feels hot. Fans aren't frozen. Is my compressor shot? 

If anyone has a reliable tech, I'm based out of Hudson county NJ. 

9one773one389one give me a call