New to vending, have a location, need to get 2 machines

PapayaVending

Hi everybody, my name is AJ and I'm new to this forum and new to the vending space. I've been doing plenty of reading and research, but thought I would still post here before making my first purchase since I am a little nervous. I was lucky to find a nice location that I'm very happy with. The GM of the business wasn't happy with the existing service and wanted someone new. She was happy I emailed her and has given me a verbal yes after meeting with her. I need to purchase a drink machine and snack machine, and both will need card readers.

I found a Crane snack machine online for $600. Is the only way to tell if it's MDB compatible is the 6 pin plug? Any other specific advice when I go to look at this machine over the weekend to be sure it's in good working condition? I've read about it and watched youtube videos, but just want to double check I look for the right things. The 2 pictures attached are the only images posted in the ad. He said it's in good working condition. Thoughts on this deal?

I'm still working on the drink machine, but have 2 suppliers not far from me. Thanks for your help!

Screenshot_20230216-160744__01.jpg

Screenshot_20230216-160750__01.jpg

As you are new, stay away from this one and go to an equipment supplier in your area to get started.  I know it seems like a good deal but if you bought that machine, to get it to be MDB you will need a universal control board or a kit from In One.  The UCB is $400.00, then a MDB bill acceptor and coin mechanism in addition to a card reader, add another $700.00.  Add applicable taxes and shipping.    Then you’ll have to install all this.   Total cost so far is $1700.00 before moving, shipping and taxes.  Go to your suppliers not far from you and see what they have to offer.  Look for National 167/168’s AMS (try to get Sensit 2 or 3). Those should run you about $2000-$2500 depending on supplier but at least you’ll have a machine that’s refurbished and some warranty and support behind it.  After being in business for a little while, you can tackle projects like what you are describing above. 

4 minutes ago, Gizmo Vending said:

As you are new, stay away from this one and go to an equipment supplier in your area to get started.  I know it seems like a good deal but if you bought that machine, to get it to be MDB you will need a universal control board or a kit from In One.  The UCB is $400.00, then a MDB bill acceptor and coin mechanism in addition to a card reader, add another $700.00.  Add applicable taxes and shipping.    Then you’ll have to install all this.   Total cost so far is $1700.00 before moving, shipping and taxes.  Go to your suppliers not far from you and see what they have to offer.  Look for National 167/168’s AMS (try to get Sensit 2 or 3). Those should run you about $2000-$2500 depending on supplier but at least you’ll have a machine that’s refurbished and some warranty and support behind it.  After being in business for a little while, you can tackle projects like what you are describing above. 

Thanks for the advice. Prob the smarter way to go as I get started.

I would advise a new vendor to avoid the convoluted programming of National and use an AP 7600 or AP 113, or an AMS that is Sensit 2 or higher. If you go National, then plan on staying with them or this single machine will bug the crap out of you every time you need to go into the programming.

Thanks for all the input. I visited a supplier this morning to see what he had in stock that would work for my needs. All machines come with 30 day warranty. He said he would install the card readers if I got them. He can also deliver them. This supplier is only 30 mins away from me so it's pretty convenient too. 

Crane 167: $1,500

Dixie Narco 501e drink: $1,500

Royal 540 live display drink: $1,750 

• 3 weeks later...

Another question for everyone. I've been searching the forum and on google and while I think I know the answer, I want to ask here anyways. I found another location that wants a soda machine, but unfortunately it needs to be placed outdoors. There is a small 3 ft. awning covering the area, however there is no doubt that it will be exposed to some sun and some rain at least. I'm assuming it's not a good idea to put the machine here? Water could obviously cause plenty of damage to anything electrical. Is there a method to waterproof the machine or is this just an easy no? 

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback! The location is a fenced/secured swimming pool complex, so I'm actually not too worried about the security aspect. I'll definitely look into another 501E for this spot. They wanted a combo machine, but let's see if they'll go for just a drink machine.

That is a prime location for vandalism so take our experienced advice and lock it up.  Any apartment or condo complex is vandal prone.  Even in a "locked" weight room or in the managers office.  Eventually someone will get in and take advantage of no one around and destroy your machine to get $10 out of it.  What they want and what they get are two different things so only put in what makes sense which is no snacks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my first vending machine (Dixie Narco 501e) was put in place on Friday. I had to go out of town so I wasn't able to stock it till yesterday and I've got a bunch of issues I'm hoping to get some feedback on. I'm very frustrated. I've contacted the supplier I bought the machine from, but haven't heard back from him yet. I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

1) It won't accept any bills (the light on the back is solid red)

2) It accepts coins and will vend a drink, but is dropping 2-3 cans depending on the drink (except 20 oz Gatorade, which it won't vend at all)

3) If you put in change and push return change, it will not return your change (The coin fill tubes are fully loaded with change)

4) if you put in $1.25, but then vend a $1 drink, it will not provide the 25 cents change

5) The Nayax screen which was lit up and fine on Friday was dark today. I see the light on the bottom lit up, but the screen is dark. Credit cards are not working

I'm googling a lot of things and watching youtube videos, but feel overwhelmed.

Starting with the bill acceptor; what kind of acceptor and coin mech is it?  Example: MEI 2502 and Coinco 9302-gx.  With a solid red light you probably have the switches set incorrect.  Have you tried to insert bill from all angles?

In your can columns, is it dropping 3 cans in one vend?   It could be the cam is set to vend bottles with a depth of one and spins the rotor a whole revolution.  Or is it dropping the cans on 1st vend and then dry vends until the rotor completes a revolution.   You’ll want to check the cam settings for each column and make sure you have the correct shims in each column as well as a rod in the rotor for cans.  You could also have bad motor switches or motor needs to be rotated.  

For your change I want you to watch what happens with the door open and pressing the change return button on the inner door.  If working correctly the button when pushed in will depress a small flap on the the top portion of your coin mech.  When pushed it opens and when releasing it closes.  If it does this correctly then you move have jammed tubes or or separators.   

For the card reader, follow all cords and make sure they are plugged in correctly.  

This is your 1st machine and that’s great.  Your next one you will need to get space to place newly purchased equipment to go over all the things in your machine before you set it out on location.  

It's a Coinco 9302-gx. Yes I tried the bill from all angles. I'm not sure what it means when you say "the switches are set incorrect". What is the correct setting and how can I fix it?

Yes, it is dropping 3 cans in one vend when I use coins. I'll need to double check the cam settings (I wasn't even aware of this to be honest). What setting is for a 12 oz can? 16.9 oz bottle? 20 oz bottle? Sorry for the newb question, but what is a shim and rod? I feel like I'm over my head.

I'll have to go back to check the flap with the door open for the change return. I want to get as much info as I can before I go back later this evening so I can implement everything I learn. And I'm still waiting for a call back.

What kind of bill acceptor does it have?

So 1 vend drops 3 cans, what about the next vend from the same column?   3 more cans or nothing at all?  If it drops another 3 cans then your cam settings are not correct for the product you are vending.  If nothing vends then you probably have an incorrect shim.  There could be more issues as well depending on the outcome of your test vends. 

You will need to check your shims.   Looking underneath the rotors you might can tell but without ever seeing a shim you might can’t.  Do you have product in all columns and are they filled to the top?  If so bring some empty boxes or milk crates in case you need to empty the columns.    If you have an empty column you can move product back and forth.  A can shim will be thicker as well as having a wider tab at the bottom.  If you can get ahold of your supplier maybe buy one of each to take with you as a reference to compare when looking at your column.  

cam settings for 12 oz can 3 deep is hole #1.  For 20 oz bottle 2 deep hole #5.  I’m not sure with 16.9 oz bottles as I never sold those but if you have em in your machine then you can adjust the cams until it comes out correctly every time.  When adjusting the cams always turn clockwise.  If you turn counter clockwise you will have to remove both pieces of the cam and rotate 180 degrees to set correctly.
Also have a screw driver ready.  Your gatorades are probably jammed.   

This is the rod:

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-7511-d80050383001-dn-501e600e-rod-spring-3-deep-19-12-long.aspx

Can shim:

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-11170-d60907076-dn-can-stop-shim-extended.aspx

Bottle shim:

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-1846-d80570115001-dn-501e601e-20-oz-bottle-shim-narrow-column.aspx

Manual for 2 button programming non coke door models.  

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/images/pdf-manuals/S2D-Program.pdf

If you can familiarize yourself with test vends you won’t have to worry about inserting coins to test vend and holding down the sold out switch when the column is empty.  Press the service button on the control board.  Press buttons 1 & 2 together until you get to DIAG.   Press the 1st button to enter DIAG.  Then press 1&2 together until you get to MT-1.  Press 1 until you get to desired motor/column. Column 1 will be the wider column and 2 -9 will be in order from right to left.  

I'm not sure what kind of bill acceptor, I will check when I go back later. 

1 vend drops 3 cans. The next vend from the same column also dropped 3 cans. I didn't try back to back vends on every column yesterday, but I did on the Sprite and 3 Sprites fell everytime. Sounds like the cam setting needs to be adjusted.

I'll take some pictures when I go over there later today and try to get some pics from above and underneath. I didn't know I needed different shims. That would explain why the Gatorade is prob jammed. Are the shims pretty easy to swap out? My supplier knew this was my first machine, I asked a lot of questions, but he didn't mention any of the information you are providing right now. 

I went to check the machine again last night. It did finally accept a few bills, but it wasn't vending anything. I'm not sure if that's b/c something is wrong with the machine or b/c of the following. First, all the cams were set to #3. I did adjust them to #1 for the cans. I was able to get into diagnostic mode to test vend. It was still vending 3 cans repeatedly in the Sprite column. I emptied that one completely and saw there was no rod in there. I took some pics but could not identify the shims, but I am guessing they are for bottles. In the Coke column, it was vending 2 cans, 1 can, 2 cans, 1 can, over and over. Some columns were like this, some were vending 3 cans, and some wouldn't vend at all. The Gatorade/VitaminWater/Dasani would not vend at all. I cannot seem to find a pattern that would indicate what shim is being used. 

The flap for the coin mech did open/close when the button was pushed from the outside. It seems like that is okay. However, the machine still will not return change if you put $1.25 in for a $1 can.

The Nayax light is lit blue, but the screen shows blank. Still can't figure that out. Everything seems to be plugged in.

I did reach the supplier, he told there was a mix of bottles and can shims in there, but he doesn't recall which column was which. Either way, it seems like I'm going to have to swap these out (or someone who knows what they are doing will have to change them for me) cause I definitely need some professional help. Here are some of the pics I took if they tell you anything.

20230321_175726.jpg

20230321_175714.jpg

20230321_181501.jpg

20230321_174104.jpg

20230321_174109.jpg

20230321_174115.jpg