Snack Machine too WARM - Melting Chocolate

I got my first snack machine set up on location a week ago. Got a complaint about my Hershey bars being soft/melty.

I thought maybe the temperature in the break room was too warm, but I found out it’s really my machine.

I thought maybe the temperature in the break room was too warm, but I found out it’s really my machine.

The previous lights had gone out and the ballasts were burned so I decided to buy an LED strip off for $15 on Amazon, plugged it in, looks great, but I think the heat that’s been given off the LED strips is making it too warm inside

The LED strip has six brightness settings, I had it on the brightest at first, so I lowered it down to level three, went back today, and the chocolate is still a bit soft, I think I’ll try to lower it down to the number one brightness level,  the lowest,

I kind of thought LEDs did not give off much heat, but maybe I’m wrong.

Machine is an AMS Sensit 2

Thanks for your feedback.

LED's don't generally produce enough heat to notice.  Also, if they're mounted at the top where the previous lights mounted, any heat produced should stay at the top of the machine.   Do you have the machine located where sunlight shines in?  If so, you're could be dealing more with a Greenhouse trapping heat.   

What is the temp in the breakroom and inside the machine?  Is this facing a southern window?  

I didn't notice at first that the strips surround the glass.  Still, LED's don't generally produce noticeable heat; however, if you're using the style that wires into the original ballast, those do produce considerable heat ...especially when they're starting to fail. 

Yeah LEDs are such low power lights, I can't see them being a problem.  My money would be on a nearby HVAC vent directing heat directly into th snack machine

I can see that being a possibility as well but I don't recall a lot of venting that would allow hot air into the merchandising space.  That said, I haven't had my head in an AMS for a long time so I can easily be wrong. 

At the end of the day, you've got to find the heat source and do something about it.

1 hour ago, Vendo Mike said:

I didn't notice at first that the strips surround the glass.  Still, LED's don't generally produce noticeable heat; however, if you're using the style that wires into the original ballast, those do produce considerable heat ...especially when they're starting to fail. 

The picture doesn’t show it perfectly, but I put the LED strip on top, bottom, and both sides

I did that that way because I had enough feet of  LED strip, and it looked great!  It could be that they are cheaper LEDs, and are producing too much heat

The break room has no windows, so sunlight is not an issue. Also, I had the manager of the building check the temperature of the space and that is not the issue either.

I think my next step will be to cut off the strip at the very bottom, which is right on the top edge of the delivery bin.  I can also dim the LED to its lowest setting, it should cool things down, unfortunately, it won’t nearly be as bright and attractive to the customers.

If it used to be a refrigerated machine but the compressor was removed, then there's a nice spot on bottom for heat to pour in.  Then, I'd bet there's a floor vent pointing directly at the bottom of the machine.

If it's hot enough to melt chocolate though, then it should be NOTICEABLY warm in the machine.  It shouldn't be difficult to find where the heat is coming from.  Look straight up too as a vent could be on the ceiling.

Was this a refrigerated machine? If so and there is an issue with the cooling unit (bad fan motors) it can generate a lot of heat that would then rise up to heat cabinet  Unplug the compressor and evap fan motors.

• Like 1

OK, I finally found out what the problem was with the heat inside the cabinet. Apparently, since this originally had a cooling deck below, since it was a VCF model, AMS put in triple pane heated glass to help with the condensation.

All I had to do was unhook it and heat went away.  Yay!

IMG_6379.jpeg