Vendo 721 machine

I recently picked up a vendo 721 from a company that bought a warehouse and the machine was inside.  Of course it doesn't have a key (or a fob apparently?) to get into it.  I plugged it in and powered it on, everything seem to work fine except the lights on the right side flicker on and off like a bulb isn't seated correctly or a ballast is having issues.   I originally bough it to turn into a gun safe, so i didn't care if it was functioning or not but I need to figure out how to get into it.  I have seen pretty limited information on the TriTeq electronic lock, so i figured i would come here and see what my options are.  Am I able to buy a remote and program it to open this machine without a "master key" or do i have to break into this thing?  When I plugged it in i made a purchase and seen the date on bottle is from august 2022 so it has been out of service for a while.  Can i contact vendo or TriTeq with the model number and serial number and get a replacement control?  I vaguely remember reading a post online about breaking out one of the big buttons that will have a mechanism under it to manually open the machine.  Is that correct? if so can i disable the electric lock and convert it to some other style of lock?  I found it for a good price and had very short time to research before getting it, probably would have passed on it if i had known about the electronic lock, but that is out of the question now.  Can anybody advise me on my next steps, I can not be the only person to have one of these that has either lost or broken the control to get in.  Has to be some type of work around right???? Thanks in advance.

I was given a couple of those a while back with no fob. I just punched out the top selection button and fished out the locking motor wires. After some trial and error I was able to energize the lock motor using an 18v makita cordless drill battery to unlock the door. 

The local Pepsi bottler has the fob. If you call them with the asset/serial number, they’ll tell you if they gave up the unit. If so, they may unlock it for you.  The location likely didn’t own the unit or the right to give it away.

38 minutes ago, Vendo Mike said:

The local Pepsi bottler has the fob. If you call them with the asset/serial number, they’ll tell you if they gave up the unit. If so, they may unlock it for you.  The location likely didn’t own the unit or the right to give it away.

Great point. Just to be clear, the machines I had were cleared by the bottler. 👍

Posted (edited)

How do I know where the local bottler is? When I picked it up it was at one of their other locations, so do I just call any Pepsi bottler? I'm pretty rural so I don't think it was from around here.  But I'm guessing by the age of the contents it was left for some time.  Will they be able to tell by the serial number it's cleared?  Thanks for the information provided 

Edited by jakeh1983

4 hours ago, allen watson said:

I was given a couple of those a while back with no fob. I just punched out the top selection button and fished out the locking motor wires. After some trial and error I was able to energize the lock motor using an 18v makita cordless drill battery to unlock the door. 

Do you recall which button exactly? Is it the top right one? I just don't want to damage any more than I have to, it feels like the lock is in the center but possible the wires are up higher.

The machine I had was set up with all the selection buttons in a row on the left side. I believe it was the #2 button. If you have the large selection button on the face of the machine I can’t help

3 hours ago, allen watson said:

The machine I had was set up with all the selection buttons in a row on the left side. I believe it was the #2 button. If you have the large selection button on the face of the machine I can’t help

Oh shoot, I indeed have the machine with the 12 large buttons. Hopefully Pepsi will call me again with some more info. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Ok so I got a hold of Pepsi and they told me the machine should not have been sold to me but since it's older they are totally fine with it. They are even going to come to my house and program a key fob for me for $75.  I can't beat that. I'm assuming they will open it and take the money in it which I am fine with since they decided not to press any charges. Really nice guy said he converted one to a gun safe as well, told me the compressor is worth a couple hundred bucks on eBay so that may be something I do if I do choose to convert it.

• Like 1

Please don't make it into a gun safe.  It's a very good vending machine and you should sell it to someone who can actually use it as such.  Then get yourself an older Dixie Narco 501 and turn it into your safe.

5 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Please don't make it into a gun safe.  It's a very good vending machine and you should sell it to someone who can actually use it as such.  Then get yourself an older Dixie Narco 501 and turn it into your safe.

Preach it AZ!!!

On 4/12/2024 at 1:22 AM, AZVendor said:

That may be an option too, or just keep it as a machine and use it in my garage to keep all of our pop and water cold. I will have to get the manual online and figure out how to adjust it to free pay.  Can I ask you vendors a question, how do you move and transport these things.  I'm a bigger guy, 6'3" 300+lb and with a dolly i could barely get this thing moving.  I dont have an appliance dolly, maybe that helps? Or do you guys use electric assisted lifts?  I got lucky when loading it into the trailer that there was a few guys helping us, i stumbled backwards and they were able to slow the fall but it landed on my left arm. I couldnt feel my fingers the whole ride home, and now have a huge multi colored bruise on my arm, LOL.  

Well I won't be moving it anytime soon but I was wondering how it was done.  So the Pepsi guy came out today and programmed me a new key fob.  Also let me keep the money inside.  I paid $150 for the machine and $75 for the fob.  Opened it up and had $178.80 inside it so for under $50 I have a working machine.   I'm pretty happy with that purchase.  

Now I have another question.  Is there anyway to disable the compressor without doing any damage? I'm trying to find the wiring diagram. I would guess I should be able to unplug it and retain everything but the cooling option.  I don't have any pop to stock it with right now. 

Thanks for all the information and the help...

The condenser is plugged into the side of the power distribution box.  With the machine powered down, remove the air dam (metal plate surrounding the condenser coil).  This will expose the side of the power distribution box and the plug for the deck.  It looks like a plug for any standard lamp or box fan.  This will disconnect the deck from the power source.

• Thanks 1

Ok so I've decided to just keep it as a vending machine since I have a fully functional machine for under $50, and have it filled with pop and water.  The flavored waters we have are 16 oz bottles and when pressed it drops 2 bottles.  I see that 16 oz bottles are below the allowed threshold so it requires a "spacer". I believe I need part number -1122928.  I don't see where it goes or how to install it in the manual.  Does anybody have any insight or pictures to show one installed?  Looks like a pretty simple piece too, I may order 1 and try to 3d print the other few that I need.  

There are 2 “t” shaped tabs on the top of the shim that are inserted into like shaped holes in the divider wall of each column. For this application, you’ll hang the shim from the holes in the lower right divider just above the where the bottles are funneled into the cradle. There will be a “blocking gate” or bar that runs front to back and holds all off the bottles. Your shim will mount just right of that. You may need to vend a couple times to allow the spacer to drop fully into place. 

or you could simply use 20 oz waters and not worry about any shims