What to do about complaints?

I just had my first complaint call from a customer buying something at my snack machine. Luckily i had just got off work so i went by to take a look and give the customer a call back to give her refund. She didn't answer while i was there but she called after i got home which is on the other side of town. What should i do? I hate to say this but she was all over the place with her story and i found nothing wrong with the machine. Do people really lie about a stinking dollar?

thanks in advance!

even if they are lieing?

YES!!!

This is a service industry. What would you rather do get into a pissing contest with someone that might be a decision maker about whether you stay or not or give up a buck?

The way I look at it is that every time I give a refund I`m buying goodwill. Now if it`s the same person three or four times in a row then it`s time to talk to the contact about a potential problem. That usually puts an end to it.

even if they are lieing?

I take a Walmart approach to refunds. I will give you a refund for any reason, then deal problems if they arise. I have had a handful of times where I am sure that people are lying, but I know that the $1 was not worth the effort or problems to not pay. I have had good comments about my refund policy, and people really notice when a vendor is reluctant to pay refunds. No matter what kind of machines you use these are machines that will occasionally take money, so my customers always get the benefit of the doubt. With that being said, I had one senior at the retirement home that was taking advantage of this, and I had to ask her not to use the machine anymore as it only took her money:)

JD

Hey mission, we wrote about the same post at the same time  :D

I will add, I don't think of a request for a refund a "complaint", its just part of this business (yes even with I Vend). Now if its a weekly thing then it will becomes a complaint.

JD

even if they are lieing?

YES!!! If it becomes a habit from the same person or people then take it to your account contact person and discuss it with them. When I mean “habit” I mean every week the same person over and over for a month or two.

I had a guy hitting one of my driver up for $5 and $6 a week. I let it go on for a month then took it to my contact. They were very nice about it and said they would take care of it. I never heard another word and the refunds stopped.

I also about lost an account one time because my driver acted like he was mad about a refund and the contact heard him. The contact told him that he could take out the machines. I had to go smooth things out and talk to my drivers.

NEVER argue over refunds. Pay it back with a smile and say you are sorry. Ask questions about what happen and tell them you will make sure it is looked and fix any problem you find. 

One important question is what type of account is this?

When you first install equipment you need to establish with the contact person at the account how to handle refunds. This can be done by them putting sticky notes on the machine, telling a supervisor, front desk person, etc. Then you just check in with the person and pay up and they disperse the money back out. Another way is to give the contact person a small bank of money ($10.00 in change) so they can give back refunds as they happen and you just keep the bank filled with monies. The employees should be told by the contact how refunds are handled. That way it limits phone calls to you about refunds.

Now if this account is a rest stop, city park, etc I dont worry so much about refunds. Most people are not going to expect you to chase them down for .50 they lost at a rest stop while traveling through your town. I also dont put my contact information on these types of machine (not required in my state) I dont want someone calling me at 3:00 am about loosing a dime in my machine.

I leave a small bank with our contact person at each location.  I only ask that they record machine, amount and selection....so that I can look for patterns.  They are told to always give the refund....regardless.  A dollar her or there is not a big deal.

However the other day...I had a notice that they provided a refund because my machine took their $5 bill....This machine is an older Rowe 5900 SR....and it will only take $1 bills....can, won't and will never take $5.  This one chapped me a little bit, but in the end, it was only $5!

Travis

I leave a small bank with our contact person at each location.  I only ask that they record machine, amount and selection....so that I can look for patterns.  They are told to always give the refund....regardless.  A dollar her or there is not a big deal.

However the other day...I had a notice that they provided a refund because my machine took their $5 bill....This machine is an older Rowe 5900 SR....and it will only take $1 bills....can, won't and will never take $5.  This one chapped me a little bit, but in the end, it was only $5!

Travis

You gotta love those days!

Travis, I would have had a talk with the account contact person over that one. I would have taken him to the machine and showed him that no five was in the stacker. Then I would have shown them it is impossible to put in a five. Be nice about it but they should know about this type stuff.

I refund 90% of the time. I know even my good machines take money. If the client makes a stink about it, they probably got screwed. It's all about goodwill.  A dollar here and there is alright with me, if it buys some positive vibes.

I just want them to feel good about using the machine.

i always call they ...complaint... when i am on site... that way they know you r honest  and made an attemp..even if you counldnt hook up w/ them at that time...complaints buy the same ppl will get lesser...so i have experienced

I gave a customer $1.50 yesterday and I was happy to do it because it was an opportunity to allow the client to know what type of person they were dealing with.

I love taking care of my Mountain Dew attics.  :P

I like this thread because it shows that many vendors on here run their routes with the customer in mind.  I have mentioned this in other posts, but this is HUGE to me and professionalism is always at the forefront of how I do business.

When you first install equipment you need to establish with the contact person at the account how to handle refunds. This can be done by them putting sticky notes on the machine, telling a supervisor, front desk person, etc. Then you just check in with the person and pay up and they disperse the money back out. Another way is to give the contact person a small bank of money ($10.00 in change) so they can give back refunds as they happen and you just keep the bank filled with monies. The employees should be told by the contact how refunds are handled. That way it limits phone calls to you about refunds.

I liked this and I will post a jpeg. of what I use on my machines.  It is a sticker that has the company logo, contact info, slogan and also a little thing advertising if they have a location for a machine in mind we will reimburse them for it if we can get it. 

Cheers everyone!