Need a little help transforming current business

mainor5251

Now that I know 100% bulk vending is for me, I want to sure up my business.  Currently its a sole proprietorship.  This is what I'm looking at doing for next year.  Form an LLC through Florida Department of State Divisions of Corporations  Filing Fee $125 + $30 for certified copy.  Next file for an EIN (Federal Tax ID #).  Open a business account ( this should have already been done, its a pain having business mixed with personal finances).  Register for a new state sales tax id # (cant remember is this for the county that the business is located or where the products are being sold).  Get permits for machines inside the city limits (no occupational license required from city or county but am required to buy permits stickers for every machine located inside the city limits).  Business insurance currently waiting for a call back with quotes for $1,000,000 general liability.  New business cards made: using vistaprint again.  And finally resubscribing to VendTrak to help keep me organized.  Now what I need help with is looking over this and seeing if there are any holes in it, anything else I might need.  Any advice or info appreciated.

i hope you have a lot of money to give for all those fees!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^-^

If you plan on doing this full time, it is my opinion that at some point these are essential steps that have to be taken.  Got 2 small debts on the business to knock off then will focus on getting this stuff completed by Jan 1.  Hopefully I can grow alot faster in 2011 since the business will be debt free.  Goal is to be able to make a full time living at this by mid spring 2012.

The second I started vending, I started a seperate account, but I never put it as a business account.  Just a separate personal account to separate my business and personal funds.  I have been wondering if I will even need to worry about having one, even if I get an LLC myself.  I would simply act like once the money is taken out of a machine, it is disbursed, and every time I spend money, it is an investment into the company.

You could do that right now, and get a real business account later after you have your LLC.

At my bank there are fees associated with having a "business Account" so I have 2 free  personal accounts. One for business and one for personal, they are linked together so I can transfer funds as needed.

They just added a new small business checking account at my bank.

$100 Minimum opening deposit

250 Free items: .25 per item in excess of 250 - including all paper debits, paper credits, and each item in a deposit.

Free Visa Checkcard - no transaction fee for use at Bank ATMs*

Free Online Banking & Bill Pay

My bookkeeper told me that the main thing is to keep everything seperate. Don't really matter if it is a bus account or not.  With a LLC it should roll on to your personal 1040 schedule C I think.  When you operate everything out of one account it will trigger an audit is what she said. Course she's just a hillbilly too.

Be sure to use your Emplotee ID# on your business acct and not your SS#...........I dont know how strict they are in Florida,but, I wouldn't even bother  with the permits for bulk vending, do what you want , that is just me.

yeah probably gonna pass on the permits

I would say between 350-400 locations.  After Dec. 100% of the profit from the business will be reinvested back into the business along with another $300 a month.

From everything I have read and experienced over the years, it takes at least 5 years to build a profitable route.  Just make sure your goals are realistic.  325 more locations in 18 months is a massive number to reach.  Adding new locations is usually not a linear function and it will get harder and harder to get new ones and increase that precious location count as your business grows.  One way of looking at that is the physics of air resistance on an air plane.  The plane can accelerate for a while then as it gets faster, the air resistance pushes so hard back that the energy required to keep accelerating becomes overwhelming.  Maybe a strange analogy, but at some point almost every vendor hits a brick wall in terms of locations and has to make serious adjustments to the business model in order to continue on.  Have a realistic plan ready to hit that number,  not just a prayer!  Just trying to be realistic, not negative.  Good luck as always.

Maybe a strange analogy, but at some point almost every vendor hits a brick wall in terms of locations and has to make serious adjustments to the business model in order to continue on.  Have a realistic plan ready to hit that number,  not just a prayer!  Just trying to be realistic, not negative.  Good luck as always.

I would agree with that comment as a full line vendor. As your business grows you need to adapt to the changes that increased revenue and route size will force you to do. If you keep an open mind and don't get stuck doing things a certain way then rapid growth is possible, if you can't change as the needs of the business change then like Jax said at some point you will hit the wall.

I wish you the best as you prepare for your takeoff and look forward to reading how things develop.