Chiclet gum

loach33

For locations with mainly adults, I would guess that chiclet gum goes over much better than gumballs?  If so, what brand is the most popular and most economical.  I have ordered only from A&A so far in my first months in the bulk vending.

Also, do you use a candy wheel with the brush housing on these?  I have po89's.  Thanks

I have a few of the more adult locations, and I'm considering putting in chicle gum instead of gumballs.  My thought is that I'd use the Refresh gum since it is a mint flavor that adults would tend to like more.

Yes Loach.

Regular candy wheel with brush housing on those PO89's.

I use the refresh triple mint from A&A.

I tried the tabs from Sam's and didn't like them as much.

Now, regarding adults and tab vs gumball...

I am scaling back my use of tab gum in favor of gumballs.

My personal experience has been that adults and children seem to prefer gumballs.

I have too many places wherein I sell GB's better than tab gum to believe otherwise.

Even places where kids are not usually around (offices and such).

So, for me, tab gum is just a specialty item for a select few locations.

I'm using GB's everywhere else.

My personal experience has been that adults and children seem to prefer gumballs.

I have too many places wherein I sell GB's better than tab gum to believe otherwise.

So, for me, tab gum is just a specialty item for a select few locations.

I'm using GB's everywhere else.

What brand of gb are you using?  I use Nerds so I guess that's where I'm thinking they're more kid oriented.  Is there an "adult gumball". 

Funny thing, I have one adult location (carpet wholesale showroom) and they asked for a better gum like chicles.  Based on what you said, I'm thinking that a gourmet gum will be better, like Nerds or Fruit Stand.

sherlock is spot on with this one. I tried chicklets/tabs in many different settings and the chicklets always performed miserably, my father told me upfront not to try them but that made me want to more :-[

he said in his 60 plus years of vending he has never had much luck with them. So I finally swallowed my pride and told him I should have listened, so dont take it from me with limited experience take it from a seasoned veteran like my dad.

As far as what type gumball I would stick with the nerds, they are a good quality and there is still a high profit margin even though they cost more than DB from sam's.

Oops!  Another hijacked thread!

Do you ever mix your nerds gumballs with cheaper gum like double bubble?  I had heard a suggestion that adding nerds to a regular cheaper mix is like adding leader product to a cheaper product.  If they see one in the head that they want, they'll keep putting money in until they get it.  That's what I heard at least.

I guess if you look at it this way, it can increase the number of sales because customers will keep trying to get the one that they want.  if you have just strait nerds, then they will always get a nerd; It'll be a one-and-done purchase.

Also, it helps to reduce the costs per vend.

I'm also considering using the Thunderballs, and the Jelly Belly ones.

There's a 9 way rack in my local Kroger grocery store.  It has 5 1inch heads, one of which has toys.  One head also has double bubble chicle tabs.  My only thought is that maybe they add that to the rack because they don't know what else to use.  It's basically head-filler.

If chickles do not sell well why do they keep making them?

It's not that they don't sell well.

The tab/chiclets do ok.

They just don't sell as well as GB...for me.

Loach,

I sell DB from Sams.

Never have tried the Nerds or any other gourmet GB.

I may do it one day just to offer more than 1 type of GB.

But, so far, all is going just fine using only the Sam's DB.

Does anyone else here look at those Kroger/Meijer/Grocery Store racks and think "what a waste".  I mean there's usually one at both entrances and there's just so much product there.  It has to go stale.  I look at those all the time and the levels never seem to move.

Dperry,

I started out with JBelly and they have a great flavor, but they get hard quickly if sales arent good, also had complaints of the orange flavored getting stuck in customers teeth (more than 1 location). Also tried DB brand. I have long since switched to ford carousel and their regular assorted GB's (stay soft much longer in machine and while being chewed also). 2 locations have told me that that's the best gum they ever tasted. 

Cant speak of ford's gourmet gum as I have not tried any.

Fords chiclet gum is okay and sales fair.

Dperry,

I started out with JBelly and they have a great flavor, but they get hard quickly if sales arent good, also had complaints of the orange flavored getting stuck in customers teeth (more than 1 location). Also tried DB brand. I have long since switched to ford carousel and their regular assorted GB's (stay soft much longer in machine and while being chewed also). 2 locations have told me that that's the best gum they ever tasted. 

Cant speak of ford's gourmet gum as I have not tried any.

Fords chiclet gum is okay and sales fair.

Where do you get your Ford GB's?

I never had much luck with chicle tabs and discontinued them years ago.  I started out with same "misconception" that adults only like chicle tabs and only kids like the gumballs - not true.  I have a number of blue collar industrial locations where the gumballs do just fine.  The tabs never increased revenue for me, just quarters being shifted to another coin box.

I have 3 Polarmint Gum singles in 3 resturants. I have them set up to vend 5-7 pieces a vend. November, 30 day  pulls as follows:

National chain Rest.- $23.00

Italian Rest.- $10.75

Sushi Rest.- $ 16.25

They usually do around this as an average for the past year. I am pretty happy with this. I also have GB locations that do well also, and I am moving more to GB's in my new machines I locate, I use Sam's Double Bubble 850 count with no problem at $17.50 a box.

A&A has it for $39 a box.

Geez.....that seems like alot money for gumballs.  We use assorted everywhere.  If there is a location that serves lots of kids etc., then I guess you add another flavor.

As far as chiclets go, they seem to well in beauty parlors ( not barber shops for some reason ), and restaurants.

I just picked up a box of chiclet gum 5400 pieces for $18.00, in Sams club is this a good price?

$168.75 in return for an $18 purchase (8 pieces per vend) is a good investment in my book if you have the locations to move it.  We have never had a lot of success with chicle tab.  Gumballs (even Double Bubble) seem to vend better in our market/ locations.

• 1 year later...

Glad I found this post my thinking was the same that I should put chiclet mint gum in adult oriented places, nicer restaraunts. Might need to pick up more gumball wheels. What's everyone's experience on specialty flavours like root beer, or cherry, vs just general assorted gumballs?

Glad I found this post my thinking was the same that I should put chiclet mint gum in adult oriented places, nicer restaraunts. Might need to pick up more gumball wheels. What's everyone's experience on specialty flavours like root beer, or cherry, vs just general assorted gumballs?

I would pick 2 kinds of gum. For example, I use Double Bubble or Nerds Gumballs. I have also mixed them together and that didn't seem to affect sales. I only use Nerds Gumballs when compatition is running Dubble Bubble. If you have 1 flavor like root beer, IMO you will be limiting yourself to who likes that flavor vs assorted where you have a much larger audience.

I can see no reason what so ever to sell chicle gum. Nerds work well in some places. Concord is like the Chicago Cubs of gum, everytime you open a new box you are full of hope, only to have those hopes dashed qucikly and thoroughly.

Archived