Well, I'm engaged now...

Profits

So it was a toss-up between putting the money into my vending business, or putting it into that round and shiny symbol of life-long commitment. She's been expressing the fact that "it's time", for quite some time. I figure two and a half years is a good test-run. At least all likely psychological issues should be obvious by this point, right? No red flags. Everything has been smooth-sailing, so now it's all-systems-go.

I'm realizing more than ever how weddings are for women. There's nothing in this for men. Oh wait, eternal commitment... I need to wrap my mind around that. Eternal commitment. Maybe if I keep saying it, it will be easier to swallow. :)

Anyway, the woman I'm marrying is wonderful, super smart, and super sexy. I'm excited about making it official.

Now I get to listen to all the needless wedding "decisions" that women love to fret about. I need some noise canceling headphones...

Ha ha

It's been rather amusing listening to all the phone calls coming in wanting to know "how it happened" or "what did he say?" or "Where did he do it?". Realizing perhaps that I should have taken my brother's advice and done something spectacular instead of giving myself a mild panic attack in a hotel room in San Jose. The banter about bridesmaids borders on lunacy, however... I don't understand that at all. Why do women place such a high level of importance on whether or not they were chosen as a bridesmaid? Can I be the first to say "who cares?"

;D

well congratulations profits!

here's my newlywed advice...

during the 1st year of your marriage every time you get freaky put a marble in a jar

after the 2nd year every time you get freaky take a marble out of the jar...

you will spend the rest of your life trying to freak that jar out of marbles!

Might I suggest swapping the ring for cubic? She will never see the difference, and will enjoy the extra money :) I really wish my wife and I had done that--if I could go back we would not buy diamonds because we don't want to support the diamond industry.

The words I find most useful are "Woman, stop." :)

Best of luck. The advice I give my friends when they are getting married is, "Marriage is a calculated risk. Understand the consequences of your decision, and embrace them. If you've calculated well, your odds are much higher than that of those most couples." Take the marriage seriously, but the wedding not so much. My wife ended up planning most of her wedding herself to get past people getting in the way. We got married on less than a thousand bucks. The single largest expense was the lunch at the reception.

Also. Professional photography is an enormous waste. We gave EVERY guest a disposable camera and told them to take pictures of whatever they felt was interesting or important. We ended up with the entire day documented better than we could have hoped for, tons of beautiful photos both staged and candid, and it cost us like 50-80 bucks. If you're doing the math, we did not have very many guests. We invited ONE non-blood relative. Since then we've gone to weddings with our digital cameras (Which were not so common back then) and taken pictures. We did my sister in law's wedding. The hubby's best friend was their official paid photographer. After 8 months they still don't have a single photo from him. We sent them CDs with over 100 high res photos including almost every staged shot, plus more we got at the reception, and videos of the big moments. Needless to say, they were glad that we ignored their professional friend's advice of "put your cameras away and let me do it, I'm the man!". Last friend I had get married the photographer grilled the groom at the reception trying to upsell him on the photos. I nearly exploded and punched the man in the face. It was the most unprofessional BS job I'd ever seen. Needless to say, we also provided them with high res photos. Here is the lesson, have a professional only if you must. Either have someone who is absolutely incredible beyond any shadow of a doubt, or if you can get away with it have an amateur and just have people bring digital photos and have them share them.

Best of luck to you. The number one most important thing, is picking the right woman. I've met plenty that I wouldn't wish on anyone. ;D

Careful with your words about photographers there lurts. Remember Profits is a professional photogragher! LOL

Congrats Profits!

Sent using the Tapatalk Forum Viewer for Android.

I'm realizing more than ever how weddings are for women.

There's nothing in this for men. Oh wait, eternal commitment... I need to wrap my mind around that. Eternal commitment. Maybe if I keep saying it, it will be easier to swallow. :)

I'm on my 3rd Eternal Commitments now.

Realizing perhaps that I should have taken my brother's advice and done something spectacular instead of giving myself a mild panic attack in a hotel room in San Jose.

What on earth brought you to a hotel room in San Jose? If you are gonna stay in a hotel, you might as well travel a goodly distance to do it. Maybe Reno or Tahoe.

Congratulations. Looks like I"m finishing up on my 2nd set of eternal commitments. I'm done. I might move in with Andy.shocked.gif

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

HaHaHa Dont take that the wrong way guys. Just contemplating a career and location change, not a lifestyle change.

whew!

Earl and Bubba are quietly sitting in a boat fishing,

chewing tobacco and drinking beer when suddenly

Bubba says, "Think I'm gonna divorce the wife - she

ain't spoke to me in over 2 months."

Earl spits overboard, takes a long, slow sip of beer and says,

"Better think it over.............women like that are hard to find."

Also. Professional photography is an enormous waste.

The pointers are accurate. I think I've been through enough failed relationships that I can see a failure coming around the bend... thus far there has been virtually zero conflict. The only time I ever made her obviously mad was before we first met and she was Googling the sh1t out of my past 15 years spent online posting maniacally on message forums. Unfortunately there were some very opinionated posts I made on the topic of women that she wasn't particularly fond of. I had a LOT of explaining to do on the telephone and by text messaging. I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it past the 1st date because she already had this preconceived notion that I was some kind of monster.

Anyway, regarding photography... There's a lot of people out there purporting to have some notion of what quality photography is, and the truth is it's simply a crap shoot. Their definition rarely will align with my own and vice versa. I guess that's why they call it art.

And if I choose to bring one of my buddies along to shoot the wedding, I'm taking his CF cards the moment it's over. No deliver delays for me, baby. :)

What on earth brought you to a hotel room in San Jose? If you are gonna stay in a hotel, you might as well travel a goodly distance to do it. Maybe Reno or Tahoe.

Well, the plan was to use some of her Marriott points either in San Jose or at the hotel in Half Moon Bay. We figured since the Half Moon Bay location was so much more expensive, why waste all the points when we could just go frugal in SJ? The original plan was to propose to her on the beach in Santa Cruz, but I got antsy and I really wanted to pop the bottle of Roederer Estate Brut I picked up earlier that afternoon. Also, the ring was burning a hole in my pocket.

Conversation went like this...

Me: I'm dying to open this. Do you want to open it up?

Her: Isn't that for celebrating something?

Me: Well, we have something we can celebrate.

Her: Oh yeah?

Me: Check out this ring.

Her: Do you have a question?

Me: I suppose. If you really need to be formal about it. Will you marry me?

Her: Yes...

Her: Do you have a speech?

Me: No, but maybe later.

It's been 23 yrs for me and looking back I would not do it any other way. My wife is the best and I am glad to have spent the time with her. Lots of problems, fights, and misunderstandings, but with the right person you can get through all of it. Congratulations!! and remember if you ever contemplate divorce, gather up all of your belongings (vending machines included) and take a picture. Then take the picture and rip it in half. Thats what you would have left. :-\

It's been 23 yrs for me and looking back I would not do it any other way. My wife is the best and I am glad to have spent the time with her. Lots of problems, fights, and misunderstandings, but with the right person you can get through all of it. Congratulations!! and remember if you ever contemplate divorce, gather up all of your belongings (vending machines included) and take a picture. Then take the picture and rip it in half. Thats what you would have left. :-\

Actually you need to rip it half, put one half aside for the divorce attorney then tear the remaining piece in half and that's what you will have left. ;D

I've been missing too much around here. Congrats (or condolences) on the wedding. My 25th anniversary is coming up at the end of this month. (Holy Crap, 25 years.)

The only thing I regret is not having sex with lots and lots of women.

But at least being married I know I can get some any time I beg for it.

Archived