Saeco SG 200 operators

Greatdane

I am looking to buy used machines in good working condition. I also need technical assistance in Birmingham, Alabama if anyone has any ideas please let me know. This is a great Forum..Extremely helpful to all of us. Guys please keep it up!! John

I have two that have never been put in use. One is still in the box. Make me a offer. 419-296-3667. Dave

I just begin to set up a new machine, 3 cups and never out of the box. Got everythng set and turned it on. The language is Italian and I can't program the machine. Does anyone know how to change the language..it's got to be somewhere in the programming menu, and I've tried cruising through the menu but no luck.

• Like 1

You could contact a certain North American Distributor (not mentioning any names) they love to help people who buy used machines!! ;D

On a serious note..

How many machines are you looking at & are you only looking at doing coffee or are you also looking at doing snack & drink vending?

Coffee Vending is in my opinion is probably the hardest type of vending to do (excluding frozen) especially if you have very little experience in this area.

There are a lot more things that can go wrong with a coffee machine than your traditional snack & drink machines & if you are not prepared to fix these yourself it could work out very costly to you to be using someone else.

I am not trying to discourage you from getting into coffee vending but I would advise you to definitely do your research before deciding to make the move into coffee which you have already done by coming to TVF.

Are you only looking at using Saeco or are you open to other options that maybe available to you with other manufactures of coffee machines. What ever manufacture you choose to go with you will need to make sure that parts are readily available as they will break down over time.

I am not based in the states so I can only speculate what the industry is like over their but I have been doing coffee vending since 2001 so I do have a little experience in this area.

If I was located in the states I would choose to use Necta machines if I was you as parts are readily available from Vendors Exchange & i am pretty sure they would sell parts to you even if you brought the machine used from somewhere else.

They will even sell necta coffee machine parts to me & I am based in Auckland NZ.

Hi Kiwi, and thanks for your guidence and counsel. I am pretty much retired so this is kind of a hobby I'm looking into. I have a lot of contacts here in the Birmingham area, and my business model will not be vending, but placing the machine in offices. The Saeco machine makes sense to me because I did see the machine in action, and it makes a great product. Technical assistance is a problem for me because I am not a technician and am just starting to learn about the machine. I am just today setting up a machine with only 3 cups on it, but the language on the machine is Italian!!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I have become a member in January and slowly started to build my knowledge in Saeco coffee machines.Thank you, very much for creating this so called “underground” Saeco forum! Forget about the disappointments, you really safe us thousands of dollars!

So I have my first used machine (model 2005) and as you my presume there is a problem with one of the beverages. By selecting “Black Coffee” the machine is asking for “Second Selection”. So I must choose and press another beverage and the closes been “Black Coffee with Milk” it works- but I can not produce so far the basic “Black Coffee” only. Any suggestions, please?!

• Like 1

First thing is to make sure you have the programming chip and make a backup of your current machine setup and programming. If you do not have this chip, skip this.

Here are a couple things to check. Here is how I would do it, I would press "Programming" key then scroll thru menu until you get to "System Management." Select "System Management" now scroll thru menu until you see "Instant Key" once there you can select "Preselection", "Beverage ##" or "Off" I would try selecting "Beverage ##. Mine is set for "Preselection" so I have 15 beverage options like double espresso. You are giving up a beverage selection with "Preselection" option and your black coffee may be assigned to this key say key or beverage #01 and when "Preselection" is selected, your coffee may not be available. You will also see other settings you may want to tweak like out of service message where you can put your phone number and the likes.

"Preselection" is like having a shift key to energize beverage keys "08-15 for choosing extra cream or double espresso at a different price point say an extra .25 cents. This may be your problem. Let me know if this works.

Greatdane

• Like 1

Hello Greatdane,

I did follow your instructions “step by step” and worked out PERFECTLY!

Instead of “Preselection “ now I have “Beverage 01” and the machine is purring black coffee instead of asking for ‘SECOND SELECTION”.

THANKS, FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE, DETAILED AND PROFESSIONAL

RESPONSE!

• Like 1

Glad I could help!!! with any issues you may have with the Cadillac of Italian made Gourmet Coffee Machines the Saeco SG 200 E ;D

I would have never dreamed that my "Underground Operator" forum topic would become so popular. I find that it is with the help of this community and support of persons such as yourself that we, "Orphan Saeco 200 Operators" are asking and responding to questions that we have that we are able to support each other and save literally $10 thousands of dollars making it much easier to recoup the costs of our initial investment. It is like not having to sell around 15,000 cups of coffee before getting a initial return on the business startup investment package. Any dollar I can save others is a dollar in your pocket and a great feeling by me being able to help others.

Feel free to post any tips, questions or advice in this forum as there seem to be a lot more participants than I would have thought. Google is awesome as I'm sure we are up in the search rankings based on readership by you and others.

Feel free to check out the old: Early 1st Generation Barista Equipment Owner and Operator Blog: Barista Supreme Program Comments.

located at http://baristasupremo.blogspot.com/ It was deleted by :huh:? (the powers that be) but has since been taken over by me when name was "I'm sure by accident" available after deletion. I have provided links back to this forum for postings of questions pertaining to the operation, business advice and comments but also have listed all my search results pertaining to Saeco SG 200 E machines available and highly recommended whole coffee beans and supplies to help operators increase their competitive edge and profit margin. Sam's Club coffee gets old after a while but by buying small bags (12 oz) of whole coffee beans in bulk, you are able to switch it up a bit by increasing "Fresh" coffee sales. Everyone seems to want to try "this weeks" fresh coffee. I cut out the front of the coffee vacuum packed package and place inside the top coffee bean container advertising the brand and type of coffee. The coffee adverts really are bright and increase sales all by themselves.

I have saved many a dollar doing my own research and now that this page is available you might be able to do the same. But, remember that http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/11862-saeco-sg-200-operators/ is where to go for forum postings. Feel free to post or PM me if you have questions :rolleyes:

Peace,

Greatdane (Eddie)

Hi Greatdane,

Sorry for the late reply.. I did see your post regarding google's "cheap flight deals" to NZ but was busy at the time & forgot to get back to you.

It is scary how the web works! Your going to have to start charging tourism NZ for all the advertising they have been getting!!

It is beautiful down here.. you should come down for a holiday?

I could even give you some coffee machines to fix while you are here so you don't get bored ;D

• Like 1

What a great forum! I have only been on here a few days and have learned many things!

I just set up my second machine and after proceeding through the set up and attempting to brew the first cup of coffee, the screen reads "out of service **5". I read in earlier posts how to reset this errror by pressing button 2 on the board and the bottom right beverage button. However, the error returns each time the brew process starts. Please help!

• Like 1

First you may have to reset the flowmeter #5 error by plugging in machine, let it go through start up until error appears. Now press P2 ( maintenance button ) then press front lowest beverage selection button on the right. You should hear a slightly long beep. This should reset error. Before selecting a beverage and directly after reset I would try purging air out of the the water lines to make sure all lines are full of water by pressing P1 (programming button) and P2 (maintenance) button micro switches at the same time. P1+P2 this should turn your water pump on and water should continue to flow. You won't be able to do the P1 + P2 until error is reset. Once system is full of water and internal reservoir is full, select a beverage and the water should be sensed by the flow meter and awesome gourmet beverages should flow to happy customers and $$$ to you. :)

Let me know if the above steps help you out. It may take a few times to get the hang of things. It is with these issues that you really get to know your Italian made professional Saeco SG200 Gourmet Coffee machine and your inner most Barista expertise will shine through.

Peace,

Greatdane

• Like 1

First you may have to reset the flowmeter #5 error by plugging in machine, let it go through start up until error appears. Now press P2 ( maintenance button ) then press front lowest beverage selection button on the right. You should hear a slightly long beep. This should reset error. Before selecting a beverage and directly after reset I would try purging air out of the the water lines to make sure all lines are full of water by pressing P1 (programming button) and P2 (maintenance) button micro switches at the same time. P1+P2 this should turn your water pump on and water should continue to flow. You won't be able to do the P1 + P2 until error is reset. Once system is full of water and internal reservoir is full, select a beverage and the water should be sensed by the flow meter and awesome gourmet beverages should flow to happy customers and $$$ to you. :)

Let me know if the above steps help you out. It may take a few times to get the hang of things. It is with these issues that you really get to know your Italian made professional Saeco SG200 Gourmet Coffee machine and your inner most Barista expertise will shine through.

Peace,

Greatdane

• Like 1

Hello Greatdane!

I have similar problem with 2 used machines .The intriguing part is that "out of service # 05 " appears only after "beverage 01" Black coffee.

I did all the above like 10 times for each machine but no luck. As you said is searching for the flow meter especially one of the machines takes 2-3 minutes to produce

the black coffee. So that is how it goes:

1. P2

2.beverage 5 Reset

3. P1 + P2

4.Saeco

5.NO LINK like a flash

6. P1 + P2 for 10- 20 sec

7. Ok 00/00

8.Saeco

Do you have any suggestions for the flow meter?

P.S. I know you do!!

• Like 1

Hey Greatdane,

Thanks again for the info. I have found a supplier for perfect stix. However, there are many different lengths. Could I trouble you for the length of the ones you are using since they definitely work?

• Like 1

The stix I use measure 4 7/16 long x 3/8 in wide or for those other operators around the world that is about 11.3 cm x 9 mm.

There is plenty of space in the stick holder for +/- tolerance. My case weighs 33 lbs and has reorder # AS0910B.

That is 10,000 stix cs. You may be able to get a smaller quantity.

I double wrapped my cardboard case with plastic packaging tape to prevent humidity from warping stix.

Or you may be able to find a airtight storage container to hold the stix.

I live in northern Minnesota, USA. My winter humidity is 11% and summers are 80%. Perfect warping humidity.

If kept in a controlled environment, you should have no problem.

Hope this helps ya,

Greatdane

I emailed them http://www.perfectstix.com/Home.html and they replied right away. I did not tell them what I use them for, I just gave them the reorder number and dimensions and asked for wrapped which I guess by the email that means banded and here is what I received:

Thank you for the email. Yes you do purchase the sticks from us. The right product code is item #ASO910BA. You are currently supplying the Bristo machines and the sticks are banded in 50ct. This product does not come wrapped.

Laura Wood

Marketing Manager &

Customer Sales Representative

Perfect Stix LLC

4416 US Highway 1

Vero Beach, FL 32967

Cell: 772-633-2803

Toll: 800-341-0079

Fax: 772-770-3757

Email: Laura@Perfectstix.com

It appears they are banded in 50 ct. My case has no bands and is a case of 10,000 loose stix. If you have the option of banded, take it. It is way easier to fill the dispenser than having to stack them individually like I have to do. Not sure about minimum quantity but I also see by their page to ebay for smaller quantity unless you are buying a pallet ;)

Peace,

Greatdane

For slow coffee, I would check the screens in your brew group to make sure they are not plugged with very fine coffee debri. This will cause a very low flow rate as it tries to push 125+ psi pushing water through the very fine coffee screens and grounds. The fine screens can plug up after time and can be easily cleaned. If you check under the brew group you will also find a often forgotten overflow fine coffee bin. You have to remove drain pan to see it as it is right of the waste bin dump. You can see by checking this container how fine the coffee grinds to a powder. You can use this coffee in a regular coffee maker with coffee filters. It is very strong and the girls were wound up pretty good at work after a couple cups.

Also, if you see that it takes a long time to heat water and water flows slowly when making a cup, I would check that the boiler is not calcified or iron build up. This is very rare when under 1000 cups unless you are using municipal water.

Peace,

Greatdane

Hello Greatdane,

Sorry for the late response but I was very busy and today had the opportunity to work on my two machines following your advice. It appeared that you are correct!

Fine coffee (grinding rack on #4 or below) was plugging up the screens and after I cleaned error #5 disappeared. So far so good I have 3 machines operational and ready to GO!

Thanks again for your support!!!! ;D

• Like 1

I wanted to thank everybody for there info on the sg200. I have went out and purchased some machines from private party's. I started to read the manual that came with the machines and now I'm starting to go through the programming so I know the machines inside and out before I launch my marketing plan. I will take all the advise that you guys are willing to share. 12oz cups? English toffee mix ? is anybody selling tea ? Best place for supply's? You old pro's know the drill. Who outside of the franchise has success , I would love to here your storey.

Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you have done your research and have taken the next step. The machines only hold 8 oz cups. Depending on location and demands, you will decide on choices. Usually coffee, sugar, powdered cream, chocolate and french vanilla powder will be your basic machine set up. You have purchased "Whipper machines" and make sure the products you purchase are labeled "whipper mix" for problem free operation. For supplies, I would go to your vendor-wholesaler and they will be able to help. Just tell them you need "whipper mix"

Good luck on first location

Greatdane

Thanks Greatdane

I have a found a office appreciation day that I can supply the coffee for in a couple of days from now so I'm going to bring a machine or two for the day . The word in the office is that the coffee is very bad and there is 135 people in the office and I want to give these poor people a wonderful cup of coffee in fact so good that I will be asked to leave my machines. I will let you know how it turns out. I admirer how well you understand the Batista machines .

• Like 1

Barista Filter,

One great option with the Saeco SG200 is the ability to set machine up to select individual beverage prices. Say you give the office free or reduced .25 cent coffee to cover costs, you can then still charge $1.00 for all other powdered beverages. If your machine shows the time, you have the clock chip and can set up machine to dispense free or any price beverages at a time you set.

Another idea is to set the machine to dispense a set number of free beverages say "You have won a 100 cup coffee office break" You then leave machine in place for set number of days dispensing free coffee and/or reduced price "other" beverages. When credit is used up, the Saeco SG200 then vends at standard prices you have set up. I would at least charge .25 - .35 cents a cup to cover the cost of cup, stir stick, coffee and extra's such as extra cream/sugar.

A great idea is to set one of your Saeco SG200's up in your kitchen and experiment with it. This allows you to get the kinks out and learn how to operate and clean machine. You can check out the internal programming and other options available. I would use regular money to get a feel for the coin changer and DBA if equipped. Just remember to save your programming on the memory chip you may have received before you experiment so you can revert to original setup if you experiment with beverage concoctions.

If you open top front of machine, insert key in lid to operate while open, then close front of machine leaving top up, you can then look down at the whipper bowls and see how powders and water are mixing. You want to avoid leftover powder after a dispense. I have my machine auto rinse just to keep the whipper bowls clean. Sometimes the cocoa powder floats on top of water and may not dispense properly. You may find this issue when using non whipper mix or inferior powders. You have the manual so read it thoroughly and have fun with the Saeco SG200 ;D

Peace,

Greatdane

• Like 1