Saeco SG 200 operators

Greatdane

Thanks Greatdane for all the info.

1.  Taped the dreg drawer micro-switch down with Gorilla brand duct tape.

2.  The new HV08622 cups have a heavier lip and a smoother seam.  So far, so good.

Wolfmother and all:

Original post on page 12 regarding 2012 programming chip in 2010 machine.  I was able to change from Italian language to English with no problem, but I was still having issues with other systems.  After two weeks of tinkering, I finally bit the bullet and used the 2012 transfer chip.  I encountered one problem, the flowmeter kept "kicking" off on black coffee.  I took a wild guess due to the two motor/pump system and reprogramed the beverage recipe.  Black coffee had to be changed to 000C(for 2010 machine) instead of 001C(for 2012 machine).  I ended up resetting all recipes on the 2010 machine to taste more like the 2012 recipes, since this is a multi-location account with many patrons going all locations.  While resetting the recipes, I also reset button locations to match the 2012 button layout and changed button 5 to espresso only.

Have a cold and merry one!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm glad I came across this forum. There's a wealth of information and support here and right now I feel completely in over my head.  I just recently purchased a second hand Saeco Rubino 200-- this is my first foray into the vending business and have no previous experience whatsoever.

I've tried over the past few days to set up the machine in my garage and I'm unsure about where all the tubings go. I had the impression that all this machine needed was a power outlet, but does it need to be connected to a water main as well? I just have the tubes right now connected to the white 20L watercan that came with it. When I turn on the machine, it says error 5 -- which I gather from the previous posts is a flow meter problem. I tried pushing  P2 then P1 and P2 together, but the error message still appears. I went through the manual again--and there are some tubes seemingly connected to a water softener (figure 20, pg 18 of the manual)... and this apparatus did not come with the machine I purchased. I hope I wasn't ripped off. I am just terribly confused right now and really anxious to get this machine working. I would appreciate any help! Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
hy.my name is dan. i am from romania.i have an saeco sg 200... and i have a problem with 5th selection (cappuccino with coffee - OK BUTTON FROM MENU)...doesn.t work...all others products works. from menu i give price for five selection, i set available and set the prepairing mode (0 c 2 3)... beverege check from menu work's but other way doesn,t ...the button work because i can select options from MENU ...i try all resets! no error found....before this problem, chocolate and milk mixer - burned!!!any advice???

PS sorry for my english

THANK YOU!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey.

My SG200 is working great in my home kitchen.  I have taped the cup switch (a trick I learned from this forum!) and keep it on free vend.

So far so good except the sugar dispenser spills about half of the sugar load. Half goes into the cup.  I do have the cups pushed back and left to get the sugar.  The spill is happening inside the unit.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I would check the routing of the clear sugar dispensing hose. It sometimes slips out and can spill without going through the manual dump gate. Also, 

When sugar is selected it dispenses the amount selected and as the cup arm goes over center to the sugar/stick dispenser location to the left. It makes contact with the sugar dispensing door. Make sure this door is spring loaded and is always in the closed position. Sometimes this door gets stuck and the sugar auger dumps the sugar on the waste grate and not in the beverage. You can tell if this is happening if the sugar is dispensed on the waste grate before the cup makes it to the sugar gate. See the manual for pictures of the sugar dispensing chute and door for proper location.

A little tip is to set your sticks to dispense only with beverages that require stirring. I have my cup switch taped and the stick weight under the sticks so I don't dispense sticks. You can program it to not waste your sticks by programming the Saeco SG200 to not dispense sticks at all. When showing off the machine, the auto stick dispenser is a cool feature that impresses.

Peace,

Greatdane

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I hope that 2014 started Ok for all. Today , I had a problem with two machines Saeco 200 and the curisity is that after making 10- 15 beverages on itch machine one of them gave me No water error.After I refilled the thank and keep receiving:

STANDBY -- EVEN AFTER TRYING TO RESET AND ERASE THE ERROR BY PRESSING ENTER- ENTER.

The second machine gave me "out of the blue" the same error 01 and STANDBY!

Can someone help me polese, to reset and erase the errore and STANDBY!

THANKS ! :huh:

Edited by nunu1
  • Like 1

Hi again,

I have not received any response, but  still  need your help. As described above I could not erase the error 01 after NO WATER, NO LINK and STANDBY. When the next morning I turned on the machines both of them started  in  normal operations??!  Made 3-4 beverages and transported one of the machines to the location. When turned ON I have received a massage:

1. NO  LINK  (just a blink)

2. USE  EXACT  CHANGE

3. STANDBY

After  5-10 attempts to erase the STANDBY –ERROR 01 I gave up and  left the location and today  I REALLY, REALLY NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE.

• Like 1

I would check the routing of the clear sugar dispensing hose. It sometimes slips out and can spill without going through the manual dump gate. Also, 

You nailed it here Mr Dane!  All hail the SG200 KING Greatdane!!

Seriously.  Thanks.  Efman

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

It may not look good on me but I would like to share the mistake I have discovered leading to the malfunction on the machine and ERROR 01 I could not ERASE.

After I have received a response from our “Guru” –Greatdane that he never encountered such a problem I start thinking that  not the machine but myself is the reason for the malfunction.

Therefore, if the machine makes coffee in the morning and somewhere during the day goes to

STANDBY and I can not erase the error though it may not be an error at all.

Turns out to be the TIME ON /OFF settings that I have not change after not using the machine for a long time.

Big thanks again Grantdane for your help and good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

Great job on the troubleshooting. Your contribution I'm sure will help others. ;D

I was hoping the clock chip would control the ability to turn the machine on and off on a timed schedule but I find it just limits the vending.

It would be nice to de energize or shut down the hi energy use boiler and other components to save energy like at night. I put my machine in my kitchen in use for troubleshooting and awesome french vanilla beverages on a plug in timer.

My plug in timer (with ground) energizes the machine at 5:30 am and shuts off at 6:30 am to correspond with my schedule. I live in northern minnesota and the winter humidity is low due to -35 f temps I can safely shut machine off and on. In some areas where humidity is a issue, the turning off of the Saeco SG200 is not advised as the circulation fan the keeps things dry will also be off. This may cause the beverage powders to harden and become cement like depending on frequency of use. In summer we go the opposite and humidity IS a issue and that is when I experience the beverage powders becoming cement in the discharge chutes. French vanilla is a real moisture attractant. When placing a Saeco SG200 machine it is easy to not mention the energy use as the boiler is always on like a Bunn coffee maker.

Peace,

Greatdane 

• Like 1

Hi Greatdane,

I have found this post and according to them and your observations  Saeco 200 if plugged in for  24/7 really my cost $5 per month for electricity?!

main_p4400.jpg   Report this image

Kill-A-Watt Link

Since then I have been playing around with it, experimenting on what it costs to operate different appliances in my home. The "Kill-A-Watt" keeps track of total KWH's used by whatever is plugged into it, for as long as the appliance is plugged into it. It also monitors voltage, frequency, real time load in amps or watts, as well as volt/amps and power factor. I don't even know what a VA or PF mean. (someone please explain!)

Anyway... most recently I had the device hooked up to my Bunn coffee maker. As fellow Bunn owners know, the coffee maker is never turned off. It runs 24/7 keeping water hot for your next cup of coffee. It makes a full pot in about 3 minutes.

Here are my findings for energy usage for the Bunn for a month. I make at least 1 pot of coffee a day. We also use it from time to time to make hot water for cappuccino mixes, soups, etc. I tried to use it use it just as I would have in a "normal" month. Plug in your own cost's per KWH, and you should get a rough idea what you are using.

Total time of test= 731 hours (30.45 days)
Total KWH usage= 28.46 KWH
28.46 X .085/KWH= $2.42 for the month.

I expected a lot worse!

The Bunn has a small heater running all of the time. It uses 30 Watts 24/7 regardless if it is in use or not. When the water gets too cold, the big heater will cycle. That heater is about a 700 watt heater (seems to vary) and will come on when adding water or a few times a day to "catch up". Then there is the warming plate, 130 watts, that is seldom used in our house. Most of the time I make coffee, it is in the thermos bottle and out the door!

Currently I have the Kill-A-Watt hooked up to my Mac Mini computer and all of the peripherals (printer, speakers, monitor, etc.) The computer never gets shut off, though does go to "sleep" when not in use. I will let you know in another 25 days or so what I find!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a second hand machine Saeco 200 / 2006 with low vendings near 200.Form the very  beginning  you can hear heavy noise from the pump in the base and after I made like 30 beverages one morning the machine was like dead.NO POWER at all.

Fusses are OK and because I cannot find any breakers inside – wonder if someone can help?

Check your model, you may have a ground fault protector on the cord that you plug into the 110 volt power outlet . It may have tripped. Reset and it should provide power to the fuses.

I have found a loud water pump may be caused by the pump coming out of it's mounts and vibrating on the framing.

One other cause of a loud water pump is when no water is available. The Seaco SG200 is designed to shut down if it detects loss of water and give a error.

These pumps are designed for rebuilding. They are easily opened and repaired. A piece in the pump may have come out of it's place and cause a loud racket. It is easy to investigate. The water pump comes out surprisingly easy and is a simple design that is pretty reliable and easy to fix. saves buying a new pump. 

Also, if you ever have a problem when you get the flow meter error and you have full water primed through out the Seaco SG 200, you can easily disconnect the 2 wire molex, remove and open the flow meter. If one little chunk of debris enters the flow meter, it will impede the turning of the single impeller in the flow meter. 

Congrats unauthorized operator, you are a great  investigator, You found the fuses behind the coffee supply bin. Many people have torn their machine apart trying to find the fuses.

Overseas supply voltage is 220 volts and they fuse both lines that are protecting L1 (110 Volt) and L2 (110 Volt) which is normal because power supplies are 220 volt in other countries.

In the United States, we have 110 volts as our normal household power supply. L1 (hot) which is 110 volt and N (Neutral) which we in US do not fuse. Sometimes if the Neutral fuse or connection is lost, the circuits may still operate if ground is inadvertently available and ground becomes the path to Neutral. This may cause voltage issues and machine malfunctions when it appears that you have a normal power supply. A little food for thought or I should say Gourmet Coffee for thought. :)

Hope this helps,

Peace,

Greatdane

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I´m trying to find a new powered milk supplier intended to be used on my SG200 machines, could somebody recomend me one reliable and not most expensive product who works ok in our machines.

Thanks in advance for your response!!

• Like 1

You can go to your local wholesale supplier that sells vending supplies like Vistar or use the search term "cappuccino topping mix

I use Nestles Cafe Ristretto Cappuccino mix which is very flavorful and unfortunately a little more expensive than other comparable brands.

I pay the little extra for this mix as it lasts a very long time and is not used in quantities like your French Vanilla and Cocoa mix. A 16 lb case of 8 2 lb bags will last and stores well. 

Just a note to NOT use grocery store powdered milk as it tends to "age" and not have the flavorful taste and consistency for vending.

Peace,

Greatdane 

• Like 1

Hello GD, your contribution to this forum and the help you give is AMAZING!!! The next time I am even close to Minnisota, I have got to buy an espresso from you. My question to you is I am just getting started in the vending biz. and really want to pursue gourmet coffe. Not only because I love it but the other forms of vending are so competetive  and I really want to find a specialty niche. Are you still as happy with your Saeco 200's?

Starting out do you have any words of wisdom that would make my start-up easier?

Thank you so much for your postes over the years I have tried to read them all, Tim

• Like 1

I am still sold on Saeco quality. I can not say that for people that paid inflated biz op equipment purchases. Most people that have contacted me in and out of this forum are not as pleased as they would hope to be. They offer me prices for their machines at a 75 percent loss just to get something. I always advise to list on Ebay Lots of people are looking for a opportunity at a deal. 

The biggest advice I can give that is Very important is that you check your market and see if the demand is there for a Saeco SG200 Gourmet Coffee business. Look into 2 machines at bargain prices. Put one in your kitchen to learn as you go and put one at a very good location to see if it works for you. If all good, get another Saeco SG200 or even the new Diamante cold and hot. Just don't get sticker shock on retail!

I have had good luck on my return on investment. I paid a minimal amount and have easily come out even. You must be willing to do a bit more cleaning, maintenance and product refills with the ability to troubleshoot issues without customer service. Usually when making such a costly investment in gourmet coffee machines, the distributor would bend over backwards supporting their machines but as previous posters have explained, sometimes that is not the case. So be prepared for a little challenge. Saeco USA is by far the opposite and has been willing to help whenever called upon. Keep up the great work guys if you are following this forum ;)

I service my machines once every one to two weeks on average. This is about perfect for my schedule. I put in 5 gallon container of water, do 10 minutes of mixing bowl cleaning and container refills. I then empty the money :) Most of the Saeco SG200 Gourmet Beverage machines have slowed down on sales once the newness has wore off. I still get about 10-20 cups a day on average. It is worth the maintenance as cost per cup is .29 cents and selling for a buck a cup. I always pass out free beverages when servicing the machines as I like to do quality control making sure the Saeco SG200 is performing to it's potential. A nice frothy french vanilla or hot chocolate with the creamy cream swirls on top. I can see all the insurance agents gaining wait at a dollar a cup.

Peace,

Greatdane

Thank you GD, my goal is to build a business that will net about $50k per year. It sounds like at $10-$20 per day, it would take 30+ machines. Am I off on that? Can one guy service that many? Would moving them every couple months keep the newness factor going and maybe cycling to 6 different offices every 2 months? Do you think there are location types that might do closer to 40-50 cups a day? I would have thought that you could charge more for the fancy drinks besides straight up espresso. I can get 2 slightly used 200 for $1600 each right now....Thanks in advance, Tim

• Like 1

I live in the wilds of Northern Minnesota and population critical mass is far from optimum when it comes to mega metropolitan building workplace locations. You will definitely achieve more sales than what I am averaging in areas with lots of workplace worker bees. My locations have about 50 possible customers a day. A person can easily maintain a big number of Saeco Sg200's. They are easy to maintain and stock. (If you have a set schedule to maintain). I do this part time and have no set schedule. I do maintenance once a week at about 1/2 the locations. Some go two weeks with 5 gallons water. I change the beans and I bring them home and use them myself always giving the customer fresh gourmet coffee. DO NOT SKIMP. Give the customers FRESH roasted coffee beans. A couple stale cups and the whole office will know and sales drop fast. I switch it up and use mid grade quality coffee and change often to keep each and every cup a value better than Starbucks. 

I would keep machines that do 20 cups a day unless the location subsidises the location as your time and return on investment is worth more.  Keep looking for those high traffic locations. 

Good Luck,

Greatdane

• Like 1