Wal-Mart Overkill

rdendy

We have four Wal-Marts fairly close to my house, while visiting the least used one, although it is in one of the the more upper class area, I saw the two pics below, the racks are right across from the room with more vending machines, would this be considered overkill ?

racks.jpg

game-room.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Them or sugarloaf. I have noticed that the local walmart where I live got one rack a while ago and now has a second one along with a gumball spiral next to the video games.

Sugar Loaf is no longer a company they were bought out by NEN. This is a south Alabama Walmart so the machines belong to Sega Corp. Sega bought out Sunshine about 7 years ago. Sunshine was big on building these Walmart arcades in the store. Most of them have been lost to store remodel and the space has went to thinks like wood forest bank or cell phone sales. The only overkill I see is the extra rack and my guess is they picked it up at another Walmart so the just stuck it in this one.

Sugar Loaf is no longer a company they were bought out by NEN. This is a south Alabama Walmart so the machines belong to Sega Corp. Sega bought out Sunshine about 7 years ago. Sunshine was big on building these Walmart arcades in the store. Most of them have been lost to store remodel and the space has went to thinks like wood forest bank or cell phone sales. The only overkill I see is the extra rack and my guess is they picked it up at another Walmart so the just stuck it in this one.

Makes sense

Although the busiest wal-mart, also the most blue collar one, only has one small rack and 4 stacker/crane/arcade setup which also doesnt make sense to me

All the walmarts around me have setups just like rdendy posted Only 1/2 the size but in blue and have Sega stickers on them too.

Who owns the Folz machines in my local Publix? The machines are full and clean but still have Folz stickers on them.

I agree with you Have the rack has to be from another walmart because they both look identical

Its crazy how walmart operates,not a single machine in the walmarts out in N.Y

In Nebraska were I live we have had the little video arcade for several years. The toy rack just started the start of the summer by the front doors. Now they also have one next to the arcade. Its an old Folz stuff by the front not sure if it is the same on the inside but probably

I thinks its probably racks they moved from other walmarts.. I went to Namco's warehouse here in TN where they sell all their used games(they will also sell you games right out of the walmart on their website) and they had enough equipment sitting idle in that warehouse to dwarf everybody on heres route!! it was a big room full of old video games,kiddie rides ,bulk racks etc.

Some of the guys that used to operate the walmarts with amusements(before they consolidated again) said walmart was a great earner but it sucked..it sucked because they actually knew when your equipment was paid off and as soon as it was they wanted a new game. They had to unload all the quarters and give them to walmart for counting and deposit and walmart would cut them a check for their percent..If a machine had one kid ask for a refund they would unplug machine and never contact owner so there could be a pair of 14K fast and furious drifts(I know as I've bought them) sitting their unplugged for a whole service cycle.

when namco,sega and coinstar became wal-marts exclusive dist. across the nation all the operators where given a "value sheet" for all the equipment in the stores and what they would be paid for them in location,,it was pennies on the dollar really but they could only be paid that much or remove it from the store immediately ..

of course this is just heresay as i wasn't a walmart operator ,i just heard guys talking about at one of the auctions.

one operator told me that to set a walmart (before this consolidation) that you had to choose a area like may 6-7 counties and bid on it,,then you had to place about 100-150K worth of brand new equip when you got the contract...Your contract had 30 termination clause in it so basicly it was a 30 day contract for 1-2 million upfront investment.. A walmart with 150K worth of games(that would have been a couple drivers at each entrance,maybe a couple merchandisers like a stacker and a barber cut, and about 3 cranes mostly 42" ice or smart, couple new "licensed" kiddie rides and changer and then the arcade) would gross about 5-6K a month, net about half ...so you can see it wasn't that great..

ron

All bulk machines were pulled from NC WalMarts. There were big racks, with stickers and tats, and they seemed to do well. The stores were 're-set" and they now only have kiddie rides,and big prize games, basically variations on cranes.

It looks like, Walmart thinks they make more money on the bigger machines.Weird, there is room for both easy.Seems like a stupid decision to me.

Some indy operators had single gum ball charity machines by the breakrooms, and by lay away, and these are gone too.

You know one reason the big operators put in really big racks ,even in independent stores? If they have all the space, no one can move in on them. Its a fact. They control the vesibule that way. There is a 200 seat restaurant near me. It has a 20 machine rack . No one else is in there. So, for very little money upfront, they have the whole space.They may sell out a machine or two, but there are many more options to choose from.Look around, many big operators do this. Sugarloaf, whatever they are now, have the corporate AMF bowling alleys around me , and they have 40 machines in each place. In one, they have 50!! Its like going to a bulk vending convention. I have nut machines in some of the AMF alleys, and it was a big deal to get the locations. Im still "in" on a trial basis......the managers are OK with me and my nuts, they dont really care as long as patrons and staff like them.

Our K Mart stores used to have really nice arcades. Now, Coinstar has the K Marts, and ,the dedicated arcade spaces are vacant, machines are in the food areas, and the machines are poorly selected for the loactions. But, most of our K marts are not doing real well.They still have bulk racks at the doors, big ones.

Anybody remember when all K Marts had Victor 77's and 88's in the big greenish grey selectorama frames?

I loved those set ups. On wheels and everything. Bullet proof. I had some in un-attended laundrymats that survived tire iron attacks...

Sears used to have all sorts of stuff, now, nothing anywhere, EXCEPT the employee break room has Loins Club Ford machines, which probably comes from the Sears managers being Rotarians and such.

I had a bio-rythim machine at the entrance to a mall Sears for 4 years.( 1978-1982) It was a flashy thing, and it filled in pre-printed cards using a ball point pen stylus. I sold coupons to the mall theater on the back of the cards, for $300 a year,which paid for my cards. Plus, the offer was for 2 for one admission, so it added value. I posted that on the machine. I bought the machine used for $600, and it grossed $6,000 over the four years. I split with Sears 50/50. I moved it to the theater after Sears gave me the boot, and it did maybe 5.00 a month.....

All the walmarts around me have setups just like rdendy posted Only 1/2 the size but in blue and have Sega stickers on them too.

Who owns the Folz machines in my local Publix? The machines are full and clean but still have Folz stickers on them.

They are owned by Mitchell Vending. They are a big player in the bulk business. They are also located here in Alabama near Albertville. I bet you didnt know that Alabama is a hub for large operators that service the south east U.S http://mitchell-brothers.com/ There are 7 companies that are based here in Alabama thar operate 2500 plus heads each. Many of these heads spill over into other states. Not to mention Caconi near Atlanta, HR located in TN and Service located in MO all three are major players in Alabama.

They are owned by Mitchell Vending. They are a big player in the bulk business. They are also located here in Alabama near Albertville. I bet you didnt know that Alabama is a hub for large operators that service the south east U.S http://mitchell-brothers.com/ There are 7 companies that are based here in Alabama thar operate 2500 plus heads each. Many of these heads spill over into other states. Not to mention Caconi near Atlanta, HR located in TN and Service located in MO all three are major players in Alabama.

WOW I did not know that! Interesting fact

The Walmart down the street also has a separate game room with 2 large toy racks with mostly identical products in them. They have 50 cents on the top and a quarter on the bottom shelf. Not sure how it makes any money after commissions. They too are Sega.

I saw a pickup with A&A-logo boxes at my storage facility one day, so I had to talk with the guy. Turns out he is the route driver for Sega. He said he takes care of the Central Florida Walmart's. He said he has over 100 Walmart stores to service.

Just curious but does anyone know if you can locate to the third party stores within a Walmart, or are they barred from having their own vending set-ups?

I've seen Mitchell cards on a lot of the equipment in quite a few mom & pop grocery stores in the area.

The Walmart down the street also has a separate game room with 2 large toy racks with mostly identical products in them. They have 50 cents on the top and a quarter on the bottom shelf. Not sure how it makes any money after commissions. They too are Sega.

I saw a pickup with A&A-logo boxes at my storage facility one day, so I had to talk with the guy. Turns out he is the route driver for Sega. He said he takes care of the Central Florida Walmart's. He said he has over 100 Walmart stores to service.

I have talked to a few drivers in the past also and in talking to them you can tell how litttle the drivers really know about the business. I was talking to one about flat line and he asked who that was as he was filling flat line product. All they know is the fill product and collect I'm sure saga has them in the dark on purpose. About the time they bought out sunshine I almost went to work for them as a regional manager. They run bulk and amusement separate with differnt service guys and management.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I know. This store is in California. I have been in the same chain in Arizona and they have 2 Barbercut's like 3 cranes, and some bulk...all operated by Impulse Industries. I am not sure who operates the bulk at this Fry's though.

LOL that is some flustercuck of gumball machines suprised they don't have a crane or something there

And I thought our mall rack with 24 x 1" machines and 8 x 2"/sticker machines was a pain to service. This guy has to keep 24 different tats/stickers, 31 types of inventory for his 1", and 18 different 2" products...not to mention the big gumball and bounce a roo...

Grand total of 75 different items in that monstrous set up. Dump 2/3rd's of the bulk and go candy, plush and jewelery cranes with one barbercut or similar...would probably triple total sales with less than half the inventory to maintain and service.

Archived