How do you move your machines?

wbuffett

Hi guys. Im a small outfit of 12 machines. I started in the vending business about 15 months ago. All my machines were placed. Now has come the time to move a few machines around, any advice? ive had a vending mover recommended to me, he charges $100 a machine...does that seem reasonable?

My situation is that i need to transfer 4 machines to a new location and move 2 more from the 1st floor of a current location to the 2nd floor. That seems like its getting expensive.

thanks,

chris

$100 is too cheap to go up a flight of stairs.

Does he carry liability insurance?

How about workman comp?

One of the big guys I work with who moved equipment every day came back to the shop with a broken arm once.

In any case he may cut you a deal if there are 6 machine moving and little drive time needed.

Walta

I pay $75-100 generally but that is not up stairs that causes price to go up. Early on I moved some of my machines my self but generally I fork over the money these days now that I have cash flow. It's well worth the money they are a pain to move.

Check with a equipment rental store and see if the have a battery operated "Stair climbing dolly" . I personally feel that locations up a long flight of steps need to produce a more than average return of money. Its a lot of work dragging product up and down the steps.

Hi guys. Im a small outfit of 12 machines. I started in the vending business about 15 months ago. All my machines were placed. Now has come the time to move a few machines around, any advice? ive had a vending mover recommended to me, he charges $100 a machine...does that seem reasonable?

My situation is that i need to transfer 4 machines to a new location and move 2 more from the 1st floor of a current location to the 2nd floor. That seems like its getting expensive.

thanks,

chris

No elevator? I have hauled up a flight of stairs before, its no fun at all. As a matter of fact its so much no fun that I would lose the account before I did it again.

Try finding a "stairclimber" a battery operated moving dolly to rent for the stairs.

$100 is a little high in this area but is not unreasonable or unheard of.

100 seems high I put an add on cl for $25 a machine to get poked up in my home and delivered and placed in a location got about 20 calls people saying they'll do it they have follies trucks etc. I still just bought a pallet jack and have my friend help me its heavy as heck but ill spot him some beers or lunch

HI All,

Generally to move small machines (like 12 / 22 selection Toms size machines), I use a HD appliance dolly w/ the drop down support wheels)...I can do this size machine myself (I weigh about 155 lbs).

Machines larger than this....I usually use a pallet jack and a helper (for me the most dangerous part of moving machines is getting them up and down the ramp on my trailer....We did have a couple machines fall over the years...one was a soda machine and believe me I thought we'd never get that thing back upright (There was only 2 of us out at a lonely storage area....Luckily the machine was on a stair climber so the motor helped ALOT in being able to get it back upright)).

For me and my helper, moving a soda machine is made easier by buying the 2 piece clamp on type crate movers...I happened to get the ones that have a hydraulic lift and big tires....It works wonders inside and outside BUT it won't climb stairs.

The 2 piece clamp on type crate movers really help moving heavy machines (machines where there are no "legs" to slide a pallet jack under easily)....I have moved heavy soda machines that way by myself.

For stairs, I bought a used battery operated stair climber...Man that thing is heavy...even empty!

I saw videos on You Tube on how easy it looks to climb stairs with one but I could not get the hang of it so it sits in the storage shed gathering dust.

(If anybody here is interested it you can PM me and I'd sell it for what I have in it , I wouldn't mind getting the space and $$ back).

Personally, I would be probably be willing to hire moving a soda machine up / down stairs.

As a side note : yesterday we set up a snack machine at a school...There were 5 steps to go up.....there were 4 of us present (me, my helper, a janitor about 165 lbs, and my girlfriend)...the machine we felt was way to heavy to use the dolly on to go up the steps safely, so we placed (2) 2x8x8 boards I had on the truck as ramps, laid the machine (attached to the appliance dolly with the little drop down wheels) down and PUSHED the machine up the ramps (it was a little scary because traction for footings was hard to get on the slick floors and the boards wanted to "kick" out going up the steps BUT we managed to get the machine up the steps.

At the top, I used one 2x8x8 to help "leverage" the dolly and snack machine upright (actually, my girlfriend leveraged while me and my helper lifted

the dolly from the underside...The janitor kept the machine from rolling back as we lifted and pried.

Steps are definitely NOT fun....I don't think we could have done that w/ a soda machine.

Andrew

I talked to the guy who does all the moving for me about those stair climbing dollies. I call him the magician because he can get a machine in anywhere with only a furniture dolly or a vending dolly , it is unbelievable. anyway he said he used to work for pepsi and they had one. he claims it is really just as dangerous as doing it with a regular dolly, in one instance he was moving a 501 up a stairwell and the battery died, he had to balance it for 45mins while his partner went out to get a new battery. people were pushing past him on the stairwell as he had the soda machine balanced. he claims they are not worth the money at all. some people on another forum have said the same thing.

I tried to find a company to move some drink machines for me, struck out! nobody! So me (215) lbs and my little brother (290) lbs get together with my appliance dollie and my utility trailer get the job done. I have no building with stairs just yet. The only place that had a elevator I turned down because the commission he wanted 30% was to much!!!!

Dang, I need a vending dollie!

There is a dolly out there that is heavy duty and has a strap that you throw across the top and you can cinch it daown that way as well as as strap that goes around the middle of the machine that straps it that way. It has large fold up wheels that drop down and you can s stand on the axle and get leverage to break the machine over yourself. Do it all the time. I also use a pallet jack, Usually depends on the location.

We use a Brute http://www.mappcaster.com/DetailPage/Dutro-Brawny-Brute.aspx ... For anything bigger than a DN276.. I have to have help since I don't have the ballast (fat) to move anything bigger. Like for 600's, I usually have to remove the front door of the machine. I've worked for a local Pepsi bottler for 14 yrs, and move these bastards all the time for $12.50/hr.

I talked to the guy who does all the moving for me about those stair climbing dollies. I call him the magician because he can get a machine in anywhere with only a furniture dolly or a vending dolly , it is unbelievable. anyway he said he used to work for pepsi and they had one. he claims it is really just as dangerous as doing it with a regular dolly, in one instance he was moving a 501 up a stairwell and the battery died, he had to balance it for 45mins while his partner went out to get a new battery. people were pushing past him on the stairwell as he had the soda machine balanced. he claims they are not worth the money at all. some people on another forum have said the same thing.

.. we moved a DN600E up an outside set of stairs once in front of an armory bldg..Hooked the BrawnyBrute up to a long tow rope on the back of the service truck (the stairs went up one side then down the other-straight ahead.. like this: / \ ). Even with this, we needed 4 guys. We simply don't move machines up stairs anymore..there is too much liability involved.

i spent Wendsday moving machines. I rented a Ryder truck with a liftgate. After the truck rental, mileage, fuel, and the guy who helped me I spen about $225.

I am 6ft 4 1/2in tall and I weigh about 350lbs. Everyone who has helped me move machines over the years says that I can toss them around. I have never had a helper that could move the mahines. They mostly help me tilt the machine, open doors, and help with balance.

It was not fun looking at a cold food machine laying flat on the ground after falling off the ramp to the trailer I had rented. Unless you feel comfortible moving the mahines and have the handtruck with the kick out for balance, I would pay the guy and save your back!!

I move snack machines in the $15 per day motercycle trailer from Uhual. I never move dink mahines without a liftgate

Archived