Labels on bulk vending machines vs no labels

bctexas

I am spending too much time agonizing over this decision so I want to get some feedback from this forum. I am pretty new to bulk vending and own over 100 U-Turn four and eight head machines and plan to buy more. I have heard arguments for having labels on each head and for not having labels. I can appreciate both arguments. I am interested some feedback in this area and ideally feedback that has been quantified versus just opinion. For example, has anyone started with no labels and then added labels and seen an increase in sales per head. Conversely, has anyone had labels then removed them and seen a drop in sales. I am trying to determine if labels are necessary in maximizing sales.

To me, each of the candies I put in my machines is clearly recognizable and I am not convinced that labels are necessary for identificatino purposes. However, I also understand that lables can act as a mini-billboard and draw attention to the machines and potentially increase sales.

I love some of the ideas on some of the threads about creating your own labels. I have seen first hand how static labels create a nasty, unremovable residue in my canisters and, if I end up going with labels, I probably want to move away from static labels. The whole idea of having labels is a fair amount of extra work but it may be worth it.

Please share some of your experiences using labels versus not using labels on bulk heads. Thanks.

BCTexas

I make my own labels and label wverything. I dont have any data of with vs without but I look at like this. Double bubble, m&m, ect have spent millions on advertising and branding. I might as well get in on that.

I personally believe everyone should have labels, haha

I really do though, why not take advantage of the free advertising you get, its bright colors will grab the eye.

i do see them all around without labels, I dont have any of that data though.

I would never put out a machine without them weather you make them yourself or buy them from me, haha

I am a fan of labels but I also use them to protect me from being liable. We all know what most candies look like and can identify them but it would only take one child or adult with a peanut allergy to eat some unmarked PMM and then they sue you.

Lables can attract people to your machine with the added color. Lets them know what there getting. MM Skittles look a lot alike at a quick glance. RP have a different colors but still look close in size. I have a few unlabled ones but I am working to get them all labled. As I place new machines the first thing I do it to make sure they are all labled correctly. I want people to know what they are getting.

I am a fan of labels but I also use them to protect me from being liable. We all know what most candies look like and can identify them but it would only take one child or adult with a peanut allergy to eat some unmarked PMM and then they sue you.

Great point. I had not considered that.

BC Texas

OK...I'm sold. Labels it is. Post more comments if you want but I have my answer and I am going with labels. I am still not yet convinced it will definitely increase sales but its worth it for liability reasons alone.

Thanks everyone who replied.

BCTexas

I placed labels on EVERYTHING until I recently started using Double Bubble...I didnt have any custom labels for DB so I just ran with it...I figured the gum has the Dubble Bubble stamp on it so 'what the heck?' I have serviced 35 machines with the Dubble Bubble heads/cannisters and all do not have labels. I saw no decrease in sales. On the other hand I am still a firm believer that if you are using candy that is not totally transparent like Runts, Mike & Ikes, RP's, Peanut M&M's...it should have a label. Double Bubble is the only candy I do not have labels for. I initially did it as a trial run. Now I am going to leave it that way...

Oh yeah, look in the legal section, but I seem to remember a thread about a federal law requiring labels with nutrition values for all machines for operators with XX amount of machines. If I remember correctly there might be a legal argument for them as well.

Oh yeah, look in the legal section, but I seem to remember a thread about a federal law requiring labels with nutrition values for all machines for operators with XX amount of machines. If I remember correctly there might be a legal argument for them as well.

That law did go into effect, but specifically excluded bulk vendors.

• 1 year later...

I bought some used 8 U Turns and they are in great shape, but the static label leaves a residue(mark) on the canister.  What can I use to get that residue off the canister w/o causing more damage? I tried Goof Off and it smeared onto the inside of the canister. It left a lot of gunk stuck to the inside and unless I get it off, I can't use that canister at all.  Any suggestion on how to get it off and clean the label residue off cleanly.  Also, what alternatives are there to the static labels? Help!

Thanks Carole in Atlanta

Labels are free!  When I used to do M & M I had 2 different size laminated professionally made cards.  I contacted M & M and told them I was bulk vendor and they sent me probably about 40 big and 40 small for both peanut and regular.  No charge, not even shipping.   

I order my gum and pressed dextrose candy 85 cases at a time from Concord.  They do the smae thing for product cards.  They put 2 in each case but to get extras you just make a list of how many for each product you want and call them up and they'll send them to you.

Labels are free! When I used to do M & M I had 2 different size laminated professionally made cards. I contacted M & M and told them I was bulk vendor and they sent me probably about 40 big and 40 small for both peanut and regular. No charge, not even shipping.

I order my gum and pressed dextrose candy 85 cases at a time from Concord. They do the smae thing for product cards. They put 2 in each case but to get extras you just make a list of how many for each product you want and call them up and they'll send them to you.

I have tried to tell people for years on here about free supplier labels but most won't listen. M M, runts, jelly belly, skittles they all do it.

Labels are free!  When I used to do M & M I had 2 different size laminated professionally made cards.  I contacted M & M and told them I was bulk vendor and they sent me probably about 40 big and 40 small for both peanut and regular.  No charge, not even shipping.   

I order my gum and pressed dextrose candy 85 cases at a time from Concord.  They do the smae thing for product cards.  They put 2 in each case but to get extras you just make a list of how many for each product you want and call them up and they'll send them to you.

Why do you order from concord instead of Ford or carousel?

Why do you order from concord instead of Ford or carousel?

Just always have.  I've said a time or two I was gonna price a free shipping order from another gum supplier, but just haven't done it.  I don't even know if Ford or carousel or Okaleaf  has all the products concord has likecoated banarama, coated cotton candy, coated crazy banana's, coated cry baby tears, 138 count gum, bookoo flavors of 850 gum.  Masybe I'll price from other vendors one day.  Has anyone done free shipping with anyone except concord?  Is any supplier of gum and pressed dextrose cheaper than concord?  Don't tell me it's more expensive cause it's higher quality cause as far as I'm concerned gum is gum is gum.

Archived