100 blue collar worker location only generating....

JCS Vending

I landed this great account a few months ago, 85 blue collar workers and 15 office staff. Plant runs 24 hours 7 days a week (nights/weekends light shift of 25 people or so). I had big dreams wehn I read on here the average for an account like that would be somewhere around $1.00 per blue collar worker per day.

I have a pop machine, cold/sandwich machine, snack machine an (honor box in a different plant location) and am only averaging $100/week :(

I have a "suggestions" box out. I got a few suggestions this week:

Chicken wings/beer

Hard candy/life savers

Extra row for pepsi (Why they put this I don't know, we don't run out)

My prices are good - .85 for chips, $1.00 for danishes/muffins, $.75 for cans of soda, $1.00 for juice, $2.00 for hot pockets and $2.75 for large French Bread Pizzas

Each week I'm putting at least 2-3 new items to keep it interesting and fresh.

They are a great account, the office staff sent out emails to all department managers notifying them they now have vending machiens and wehre they are located. They also have a nice sign hanging in the main elevator directing them to the main breakroom where the machines are with what is sold and prices.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to improve sales here, I should be making more and can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks!

post-4635-0-58992900-1351545237_thumb.jpg

You might try some 5 hour energy. You just need to get the 6 selection candy coils so they'll fit. I sell them in my blue collar accounts with swing and/or graveyard shifts and make about a buck a pop so it adds up.

Aside from that, I've found items that are advertised on tv sell much faster than the others.

You'd think that account would a grand a month at least

I would work the account contacts, first what are there other dining options. second what are the employees doing for food now, brown bagging? fast food? do you have a roach coach competitor. did the employees have a bad experience with the vending in the past making them hesistant to use the machines?

I have an account just like this. I feel you have done a good job of covering your bases. The only thing I think you might be missing is bottles. Alot of plants that I deal with, The employees have to have a resealable container, ( no cans in the plant). So I would check that first. Throw some bottles in the food machine and see if that makes a difference. The problem for me was you could see a Mcdonalds and Wendys out the dock door. Things were real slow until the company started making the employees swipe their badges in and out for breaks and lunch. They quickly figured out they could not get to the fast food places and back and eat in time to swipe back in. Then all of a sudden sells went nuts. So that and like Dogcow said a Roach Coach is one thing I would check into.

Alot of roach coaches around here sell 24 oz bottles for a $1.25.

Hang tough

Aha! Found my reading glasses and was able to see some of your selections. While it may be true that there are some regional differences in tastes, I've never been able to sell most of the snack items I could identify in your picture. Dump all the baked chips and Cool Ranch. Nacho Doritos, Cheestos and Lay's Potato Chips are the main stays of my machines. Try some Big Texas rolls (#1 product for vending machines several years)

Dogcow is right in that you should get some feedback from the people at the account (lists don't work). I service my accounts during their lunch break at least 4 times a year to get direct feedback from the people who eat there (your potential customers).

I would agree with moondog, if your primary customer base is blue collar then you need to ditch the baked stuff. People will tell you all day long they want healthy stuff but when it comes time to put dollars in the machine then its the junk food that sells. If you can find a way to add bottle drinks, even things like Gatorade in the food machine then you should capture additional $$.

Aha! Found my reading glasses and was able to see some of your selections. While it may be true that there are some regional differences in tastes, I've never been able to sell most of the snack items I could identify in your picture. Dump all the baked chips and Cool Ranch. Nacho Doritos, Cheestos and Lay's Potato Chips are the main stays of my machines. Try some Big Texas rolls (#1 product for vending machines several years)

Dogcow is right in that you should get some feedback from the people at the account (lists don't work). I service my accounts during their lunch break at least 4 times a year to get direct feedback from the people who eat there (your potential customers).

theres already big texas in there u might need some new glasses LOL

but yeah i agree with everyone else ditch the baked chips if u cant find enough selections

in the 1.5oz put in some 1oz bags of other cheaper product like TGIF chips, always a huge seller for me.

also let me ask,who are ur clients, predominantly white, hispanic, african american? men? women?

it does matter. for predominantly minority accts (like laundromats) using the spicy chips like hot fries or jalpeno chips, or even platanos (if its mostly hispanic) will do good. where as in mostly white accounts the regular brands of chips do better, also if its more women chocolate will do better. just generalizing. jerky also does well in mostly white blue collar locations.

I have a similar account that has had me puzzled - all the demographics are right but just notthe volume i expected. I added a bulk machine with 850 gumballs & dry roast peanuts along side of the full size machines and it does great and helps bring up the avg sales. i didnt think factory workers would like gumballs till i found out they cant smoke on company property.

Are the majority clients hispanic/asian? If so your sales will not reflect White blue collar workers on the average. The hispanic /asian clients tend to bring their own Lunch/supper. You have to sell items that appeal to them to get some of their business.

They are mostly caucasian male blue collar workers. A bulk candy machine is a great idea and I have one that I'm pulling from a location. Last week I pulled out the frozen sandwhiches not selling and replaced with bananas, apples, yogurt and a few other new items. We'll see how it goes, service day is tomorrow.

I have a location with "60~" blue-collar workers and about 15 office workers that generates about $55/week between snacks and soda. This is due to the fact that many of the workers are out on-site during the day and not in the warehouse is. Another factor is that there is a convenience store literally across the street. I simply cannot compete with that... but the sales do improve when the whether gets really nasty.

On the other hand, I have a location with about 8 blue-collar workers and 3 office people... it was generating $55~/week but it has dropped to about $40/week recently. This location is also a snack/soda account.

The point to this is that sometimes it's just hard to tell what's going on but you may need to investigate. Trust me on one thing though... when people start saying "If you would put what we want we would buy more!" that's a big signal that splits off into two possibilities: putting what they want WILL increase sales; putting what they want won't change anything because they don't even go to the vending machine(s) in the first place and it is time to pull some machines!

Sounds to me like you have done just about everything right. I have found Asian office staff to be the worst in vending sales but if they are out on the plant floor they seem to be the same. I agree that blue collar workers like bottles.

What about drinks? How are the drink selections selling?

I know each geographical area is different, But when I was vending, If I had those items in my drink machine, They wouldn't move hardly at all.

I also agree with others on the bottles..

I have worked in / dealt with over 15 different factories. And they were all the same, You had to have a sealed container while on the production floor. Plus you have to consider there is all kinds of things flying around in the air, I still yet have to be inside a blue collar place where safety glasses were NOT required...

Archived