Someone talk me off the ledge....

Many of you know, I'm a small - 2 location newbie.  However, my 2 locations are on track to gross somewhere in the neighborhood of $36,000 - $40,000 for the year.  My commissions are very low.  I have 1 location with a soda and a snack machine, and 1 location with a soda, a snack, and a freeze machine.

I'm doing this out of the back of my pickup truck...and it's getting old.  I want to grow, but I can't realize my own inefficiencies quite yet being so new - but I'm sure there are MANY (including too damn many trips to Sam's Club!).

I live in an HOA neighborhood and can't have extra trucks and trailers parked all over the place.  And I'm getting tired of in and out of the pickup truck.  Thus.....my trailer conundrum.

A 5x8 will do me.  I tend to buy things new to "do it right" and look professional.  I'm even alright with the $1800 price tag.

I need help being talked into it.  I've weighed the pros and cons.  I'm not ready for a full size cargo van or box truck - due to insurance costs, and the like.  I've decided a trailer is alright for now.

As it is, I'm going to have to pay between $25 and $40 per month to store the trailer.

Someone tell me NOT to do this.  Or.....tell me TO do it.  I'm very much on the fence here.  Does it make sense for a small route like this or should I continue to rough it?

Do you have room in the garage for the trailer or another vehicle?  Can you park anything behind a gate?  When I was doing 60k, I used a dedicated 3/4 ton cargo van that I've discussed on here before.  The insurance isn't any higher and HOA's will allow a van that doesn't have advertising on them, generally.  A dedicated van leaves the family car unmolested and gives you a place to store non-perishable products - a rolling warehouse.  It honestly is the best way to go, in my opinion, based on my experience.  I've done the pickup method, then moved to a converted flower delivery vehicle on a Chev S10 chassis, then graduated to the cargo van before I got into 14' Isuzu box trucks.  If you can do $36-40 out of a pickup, you can grow considerably in the van and have tons of room to do it with.

Many of you know, I'm a small - 2 location newbie.  However, my 2 locations are on track to gross somewhere in the neighborhood of $36,000 - $40,000 for the year.  My commissions are very low.  I have 1 location with a soda and a snack machine, and 1 location with a soda, a snack, and a freeze machine.

I'm doing this out of the back of my pickup truck...and it's getting old.  I want to grow, but I can't realize my own inefficiencies quite yet being so new - but I'm sure there are MANY (including too damn many trips to Sam's Club!).

I live in an HOA neighborhood and can't have extra trucks and trailers parked all over the place.  And I'm getting tired of in and out of the pickup truck.  Thus.....my trailer conundrum.

A 5x8 will do me.  I tend to buy things new to "do it right" and look professional.  I'm even alright with the $1800 price tag.

I need help being talked into it.  I've weighed the pros and cons.  I'm not ready for a full size cargo van or box truck - due to insurance costs, and the like.  I've decided a trailer is alright for now.

As it is, I'm going to have to pay between $25 and $40 per month to store the trailer.

Someone tell me NOT to do this.  Or.....tell me TO do it.  I'm very much on the fence here.  Does it make sense for a small route like this or should I continue to rough it?

I outgrew my SUV after 3 months and got a small cargo van - it's great now and should get me to that 100K mark.   As AZ said,  it also serves much of my storage needs.

I'm not against the trailer idea but it just seems a little awkward dragging that thing through traffic and finding spots to park it along the way.  It would nice to haul machines around in but wouldn't work for much of my route.

I outgrew my SUV after 3 months and got a small cargo van - it's great now and should get me to that 100K mark. As AZ said, it also serves much of my storage needs.

I'm not against the trailer idea but it just seems a little awkward dragging that thing through traffic and finding spots to park it along the way. It would nice to haul machines around in but wouldn't work for much of my route.[/quote

Agreed! Trailers on a daily basis are a pain, just buy the van

Its really what you prefer. If it was me my choice would be the van.

Agreed - if we're talking 150+ machines like you are.  To each his own, I suppose.  And let's be honest......$1800 for a trailer is cheap and I might find a use for it down the road.  I think I'll just do the smaller trailer.  Thanks for the help!!

Even starting out I have always used a truck or van. The guys I know that use or have used have all had one gripe in common. That was maneuverablty in parking lots and having to park further away and drag product in to fill macines.

I think there are plenty of good used box trucks for sale. We bought a few of them at around 100K miles. That seems to be where most companies dump them. We bought used Budget trucks. Plenty of room and you can also store plenty of product without a warehouse. We use 10ft boxes.

i agree with everyone on the van, the trailer is a big pain unless you have a ton of experience

driving with them. a cargo van will do you until you get up to the point where u need a storage

or a warehouse most likely. and honestly cargo vans can be had very cheap for a nice good 

quality.

Get a van man. I had 3 trailers I wouldn't use them for this. Keep in mind that trailer still requires YOUR vehicle to move. So u still have expenses and all. I just got an astro van last month best thing I've boughten for the business. Wish I'd do it before. I'm at the 70-80k mark and I can handle another 20-30k easy with the van. Plus you get to do mileage deductions. And leave your personnal vehicles for that. Especially if your going to pay a storage fee lol. My van full cover was $55 a month and the van was only 2800 with 104 k miles. I can re sell it 4 years from now for that same price and still claim the milage. Your asking for opinions and aren't listening at all. Your trailer is not the way. That 1800 will be worth half after a year, paying storage that's another $600 a year. Plus I myself can use my van to travel. I have one trailer now 14x4 which I use for my machines.

Archived