What type of vending that does not require restocking goods?

sideburn

I'm a newbie...thus the title is a rookie question...So far I could think of are:

Jukebox (playing music)

Arcade / Gaming / Gambling

Internet access / Computer

Are there more?

Edited by sideburn

I think I'd put massage chairs in the same category as payphones.

Both seem to be going the way of the Dodo bird but for different reasons.

Even in the places that still have massage chairs (which are fewer and fewer with time), I've yet to see ANYONE ever using one for anything more than just a regular place to sit.

Never have I seen someone using it as a customer who put money in there.

• Like 1

Yes. Folks are making money off scales.

The trusted vendors all seem to recommend using Impulse scales.

They are costly (approx $1k give or take) but are built like tanks for worry-free usage.

I wouldn't mind having some scales on location.  I agree payphones are a dying breed - at one airport (can't remember which one it was that I was at) they pulled all of them out.

I have seen some massage chairs out - but like you say - I have yet to see anyone paying to use them.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind having some scales on location.  I agree payphones are a dying breed - at one airport (can't remember which one it was that I was at) they pulled all of them out.

I have seen some massage chairs out - but like you say - I have yet to see anyone paying to use them.

Yup.

I've seen the phone banks completely empty at quite a few different public areas - - malls, airports, and post offices.

I too would like to try scales at some point.

The idea has always intrigued me, but every time I'm investing in equipment I stick to bulk machines.

What's up prohibiting cranes? Is it because of toy prize consider gambling?

It's not the prize that makes it gambling.

It's the fact that customers put in cash and may get nothing in return -- if they are unsuccessful at grabbing a prize.

dogcow, where can I look up to see if California permits 8liners?

8liners are illegal everywhere except michigan and I think texas in FL they are legal only in truck stops. People who run them will sometimes get popped for gambling charges but some places they are tolerated. U see them a lot in private bars like vfw in backrooms and in ghetto c-stores

It's not the prize that makes it gambling.

It's the fact that customers put in cash and may get nothing in return -- if they are unsuccessful at grabbing a prize.

Ahh...got it!

It looks like scales are only "worthy" so far...I've seen a couple of posts that arcades isn't doing well. What about internet kiosk?

It looks like scales are only "worthy" so far...I've seen a couple of posts that arcades isn't doing well. What about internet kiosk?

I have no experience and have done no research into internet kiosks.

I have to wonder though, do enough people really need such a service with so many of us having internet access via smart phones and tablets?

I have no experience and have done no research into internet kiosks.

I have to wonder though, do enough people really need such a service with so many of us having internet access via smart phones and tablets?

True...sometimes I wish I used desktop while surfing on the internet...or another idea that I saw somewhere a wifi vending machine! Some people have laptop, tablets or even phones without internet access and they need wifi access.

True...sometimes I wish I used desktop while surfing on the internet...or another idea that I saw somewhere a wifi vending machine! Some people have laptop, tablets or even phones without internet access and they need wifi access.

You are correct.

And some that do have access may have limits on data and/or slow processing speeds.

The kiosk may be just what they need in a pinch.

Maybe airports, hospitals, bus stations, train stations, and post offices could be good locations for this.

But, like I said, I don't have any experience with kiosks like this, so who knows.

I'm just thinking out loud with my keyboard.

You are correct.

And some that do have access may have limits on data and/or slow processing speeds.

The kiosk may be just what they need in a pinch.

Maybe airports, hospitals, bus stations, train stations, and post offices could be good locations for this.

But, like I said, I don't have any experience with kiosks like this, so who knows.

I'm just thinking out loud with my keyboard.

But you have to remember most carriers now offer USB wi-fi on the go - just pay a monthly fee and you have wi-fi  anywhere

• 4 weeks later...

Lol, this is a great thread to remind us how good we have it.

Mainly, it comes down to trying 'vend' something that can't be provided over the internet.  That's why massage machines (plausibly) and scales could still make money.

I think you'll need to come up with something that can't be provided by a smart phone or move to a different country.  And even then, you better move fast.  Most economies are growing.

Cheers

Edited by engineer1984

• 2 weeks later...

About 5-7 years ago I seen a cellphone charing station at a mall. I think it Cost $1 for ten minutes It had a big bundle of charging cords for different brands of phones. It might be a more viable venture now that chargers are pretty well standardized or are wireless.smartphones can be power hungry.

About 5-7 years ago I seen a cellphone charing station at a mall. I think it Cost $1 for ten minutes It had a big bundle of charging cords for different brands of phones. It might be a more viable venture now that chargers are pretty well standardized or are wireless.smartphones can be power hungry.

I wonder if there are enough people out there without car chargers to justify enough of a customer base.