Coffee Service

metrovending

Who does coffee service?

What are your thoughts?

I have the coffee at my bank that I deposit at and coffee at two other locations. This is a great way to get new business. I lowball the coffee to get the vending and I have 3 accounts where I give them free coffee service in place of commission.

Who does coffee service?

What are your thoughts?

I have the coffee at my bank that I deposit at and coffee at two other locations. This is a great way to get new business. I lowball the coffee to get the vending and I have 3 accounts where I give them free coffee service in place of commission.

Sounds like a good angle - are you using the basic Bunn set up?

I don't have much experience with this but some white collar businesses hardly buy coffee from a vending machine.  They seem to prefer it from the brewer OR they buy it elsewhere.  125 people may yield some good profits but just make sure you do very good research on your demographic.  Are they high income?  Low income?  Do they HAVE to stay at the work place all day (except lunch)?  How long is their lunch?  How many places are there where they can quickly and easily buy coffee?

These are real questions that I ask potential customers before I agree to service them, but I gear my questions toward snacks and soda, not coffee.  The same rules still apply though.  If they get a 30 minute lunch break and they absolutely KILL the vending machines because they are bored, miserable, hungry, and have nowhere else to go, a coffee vending machine may be the way to go.

It seems to be the case that a 2-burner coffee unit typically takes care of about 20 people or so.  With that said, you would possibly need 5-6 coffee brewers to maintain such an office depending on how heavily they consume coffee but it might be a lot cheaper/easier.  If a brewer breaks down, they won't freak out.

So when you supply coffee brewers, you bill the company for the supplies? Do you rent them the Brewers? I'm not familiar with any coffee options other than a "pay per cup" vending system.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

So when you supply coffee brewers, you bill the company for the supplies? Do you rent them the Brewers? I'm not familiar with any coffee options other than a "pay per cup" vending system.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Typically yes.

Traditional OCS means providing the brewer at no charge and maintaining it, you make your money selling the coffee and supplies at a markup. Supplies can be many things, it might just be cream sugar and cups or you can go upscale and go with a Kcup machine and provide 20-25 different coffees and teas. From there you can add hot choc, soup cups and bulk cases of bottle water. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want to.

I will also add that in some markets some OCS providers are beginning to charge a rental or lease fee for the unit. Around herr its 5 per month, I don't charge this fee to my customers.

If you can install pourover or automatic brewers in a couple of spots in the office you will probably do well. If they can't have beverages at their desks then those same machines in the breakroom will work. If you are doing single cup machines that is a good oppotunity to rent or lease them to the account, especially if you're unsure of the volume or will have a large investment. Of course there's no rule against charging a fee for a pourover if you can get it. If you can't get a rental fee then you'll have to charge more for your products.

You will charge the client for all products (except filters if you include them with each case of coffee you sell them) anytime you don't have a coin operated machine or anytime you provide products that aren't sold from your machines.

If you do a vending machine then rental is a moot point, but you never know when an account will pay rent. It depends on how bad they want your coffee.

You can also provide point of use water dispensers on a rental basis too, especially if that could be the source of water for your pourovers.

OCS has been a big part of our business since we started. We have never charged a rental on brewers and I have always thought the OCS industry was stupid for not doing this even if its $5/month. But because of cutthroats, providing brewers is SOP in OCS. Water coolers (esp POU) is pretty good business too. I hope the competition never starts providing them at no cost!

OCS has been a big part of our business since we started. We have never charged a rental on brewers and I have always thought the OCS industry was stupid for not doing this even if its $5/month. But because of cutthroats, providing brewers is SOP in OCS. Water coolers (esp POU) is pretty good business too. I hope the competition never starts providing them at no cost!

We've thought about adding them to our offerings, a few questions if you don't mind.

What brand of cooler do you use, where do you get them and what do you charge for rental on them.

We've thought about adding them to our offerings, a few questions if you don't mind.

What brand of cooler do you use, where do you get them and what do you charge for rental on them.

I use Oasis and one other brand that I can't think of at the moment and we charge $10/ month and $7.50/ 5 gal bottle of water.  

We use the the Pure 1 coolers which have the filter inside and hook up to the account's water supply. (instead of removing and replacing 5 gallon water bottles ) These we charge about $50/year for and, depending on the volume, usually have to only replace the filters once a year.

• 2 months later...

I have an account where they asked for coffee service, I supplied the burners (Bunn double burner) no charge, and I deliver bulk coffee packets(42 packets), Tubes of creamer and sugar the 24 tube boxes each. I just bring them in and set by the receptionist desk.   (I also have 4 full size vending machines 2 soda, a snack and a frozen food at this location)  What would you charge the facility for delivery of this?

OCS accounts don't traditionally get charged for delivery of the products. You build your delivery costs into the cost of the products you sell them. That's why you want to sell them as many ancillary products as you can to increase the profits of the account. If you are able to get the account to pay for delivery then more power to you, but if your competitors aren't charging for that then you leave yourself open to losing that business when those competitors make a sales call to your location.

Archived