dixie Narco 501

temp04

Hello Everyone,

I have a Dixie Narco 501.  It currently carries 12 oz can.  I am planning to move it to a new location.  But the new location would like to have some bottles as well.  Can I convert some of the columns to vend bottles?  If so, what do I need to do?  Thank you in advance. 

Is this a 501T or 501E? The E models were designed to run 2 bottles deep but the T models were not designed to run bottles, but rather cans 3 deep. If you have a T model it can accomodate soda bottles 1 deep as well as Gatorade 2 deep, but both with certain parts and setups.

If this is an E model then you can change any column from cans to bottles with specific shims and changes to the motor cams.

I have parts for either machine so if you'd like to PM me with your model and the specific bottles you want to vend I can help you out.

Thank you all for the reply.  this is what I have.  Which model is it?

Is this a 501T or 501E? The E models were designed to run 2 bottles deep but the T models were not designed to run bottles, but rather cans 3 deep. If you have a T model it can accomodate soda bottles 1 deep as well as Gatorade 2 deep, but both with certain parts and setups.

If this is an E model then you can change any column from cans to bottles with specific shims and changes to the motor cams.

I have parts for either machine so if you'd like to PM me with your model and the specific bottles you want to vend I can help you out.

You should have a label on the inside that will tell you what setting to use for the various products that you'll vend. You've got to get the shims, your spacing and the cams all set up correctly.

post-6352-0-91099400-1398309841_thumb.jpg

Coke is notorious for concealing the Id of machines by using the same coin insert bezel on all machines... So the front doesn't have many clues

However if you can get a pic of the inside then a seasoned tech should be able to figure it out from the motors or board

Easiest way to tell is by the serial plate on the left of the unit

It's definitely not a 501. In fact, it looks like a 7 select royal to me but I have no idea what that could be.

Well I shouldn't say definitely not a 501... maybe dn made a 501T with 7 selections just for coke.

Thank you all for the reply.  this is what I have.  Which model is it?

That is a DN T model if it's a 501.  The giveaway is the small delivery port with the can catcher upside down (curved cutout facing down).  Since it is a T model you will need to state which specific products you are going to change to so I can get you the proper setup.  You will be limited in capacity except for Gatorade bottles.

It is from 29 years of experience working on machines and paying attention to details.  I love mechanical things and I always pay attention to what I'm working on.  I operated most of these machines myself back in the day and continue to repair them all now.

Thank you all for the replied.  as you mentioned before, the T model is limited to soda bottles 1 deep and Gatorade 2 deep.  What size of the bottle or Gatorate can I have in there?  The new customer mentioned on the phone that they wanted soda, water and Gatorade.  I am planning to find out more when I go to the location tomorrow.  But I am planning to just provide one column of bottle water and one column of Gatorate and the rest still with 12 oz can.  Is this possible on this T model?  Thank you

That is a DN T model if it's a 501.  The giveaway is the small delivery port with the can catcher upside down (curved cutout facing down).  Since it is a T model you will need to state which specific products you are going to change to so I can get you the proper setup.  You will be limited in capacity except for Gatorade bottles.

As long as your machine is multiprice then you can add some bottled items.  It is kind of hard to tell from your photo if there is a credit display above your coin insert slot, though it appears to have one.

You have three choices of water:  20oz Aquafina, 20oz Dasani or a 16.0 oz bottle of a regional brand made by Nestle.  The issue with water bottles is that the bottles must be hard when warm on the shelf so that they will hold their shape when cold, otherwise they will jam the column.  The hard bottles of Aquafina or Dasani are injected with nitrogen to firm the bottle and the 16.0 oz size from the Nestle regional brands have horizontal ribs molded into the bottles from top to bottom that stiffen the bottle.  Depending on where you are located you will find one of these regional names: Arrowhead, Ozarka, Deer Park, Zephyrhills, or Ice Mountain.

Since you have a Coke door on your machine you are limited to columns one and two having the same product in them, so I would recommend leaving your best selling soda in those columns.  It will be easiest to set up your narrow columns for water or Gatorade so you might want to also use your third wide column for your second best selling soda.  If you have need for additional capacity of whichever water or Gatorade you use, the third wide column could later be set up for one of those products. 

To vend the 16.0 oz bottles of water you can leave your narrow column set up as it was for cans and simply set your motor cam for two products deep (two notches) and adjust your rear spacer accordingly. 

To do either 20 oz water or the Gatorade in a narrow column you will need a wide rotor to begin with.  To determine if your rotors are wide, look down into an empty column and see if there is a 1/4" gap between the left side of the rotor and the left side wall of the column.  If so you have a narrow rotor.  If the gap is less than 1/4" then you have a wide rotor, especially if you have rod and spring assemblies inserted into each rotor for your can setups. 

To vend the Gatorade, you will remove the can shim from the right side of the column, set your rear spacer to the last holes on the top and beyond the last holes on the bottom, then adjust your motor cam for two deep vending (two notches).

To vend the 20 oz waters you will remove the can shim from the right side of the column, adjust the rear spacer forward to give you only one finger of space between the depressed sold out paddle and the bottom of the bottle when it's pushed against the rear spacer, then set your motor cam to one deep vending (one notch).

One additional step you should take is to remove the discharge member (can catcher) and turn it so the half-moon cutout is facing up, then adjust the closure strip along the top of the delivery port to have its cutout facing down.  These two changes will give the customer more room to remove the bottles.  They are currently set for can vending to limit the ability of small arms to reach up into the machine and steal cans.  When you do bottles you have to ensure there's enough room for the bottles to come out and you will loose that bit of security.

Wow..   I probably need to be in front of the machine to get a better understanding of the last part.  But thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with such detailed explanation !!

As long as your machine is multiprice then you can add some bottled items.  It is kind of hard to tell from your photo if there is a credit display above your coin insert slot, though it appears to have one.

You have three choices of water:  20oz Aquafina, 20oz Dasani or a 16.0 oz bottle of a regional brand made by Nestle.  The issue with water bottles is that the bottles must be hard when warm on the shelf so that they will hold their shape when cold, otherwise they will jam the column.  The hard bottles of Aquafina or Dasani are injected with nitrogen to firm the bottle and the 16.0 oz size from the Nestle regional brands have horizontal ribs molded into the bottles from top to bottom that stiffen the bottle.  Depending on where you are located you will find one of these regional names: Arrowhead, Ozarka, Deer Park, Zephyrhills, or Ice Mountain.

Since you have a Coke door on your machine you are limited to columns one and two having the same product in them, so I would recommend leaving your best selling soda in those columns.  It will be easiest to set up your narrow columns for water or Gatorade so you might want to also use your third wide column for your second best selling soda.  If you have need for additional capacity of whichever water or Gatorade you use, the third wide column could later be set up for one of those products. 

To vend the 16.0 oz bottles of water you can leave your narrow column set up as it was for cans and simply set your motor cam for two products deep (two notches) and adjust your rear spacer accordingly. 

To do either 20 oz water or the Gatorade in a narrow column you will need a wide rotor to begin with.  To determine if your rotors are wide, look down into an empty column and see if there is a 1/4" gap between the left side of the rotor and the left side wall of the column.  If so you have a narrow rotor.  If the gap is less than 1/4" then you have a wide rotor, especially if you have rod and spring assemblies inserted into each rotor for your can setups. 

To vend the Gatorade, you will remove the can shim from the right side of the column, set your rear spacer to the last holes on the top and beyond the last holes on the bottom, then adjust your motor cam for two deep vending (two notches).

To vend the 20 oz waters you will remove the can shim from the right side of the column, adjust the rear spacer forward to give you only one finger of space between the depressed sold out paddle and the bottom of the bottle when it's pushed against the rear spacer, then set your motor cam to one deep vending (one notch).

One additional step you should take is to remove the discharge member (can catcher) and turn it so the half-moon cutout is facing up, then adjust the closure strip along the top of the delivery port to have its cutout facing down.  These two changes will give the customer more room to remove the bottles.  They are currently set for can vending to limit the ability of small arms to reach up into the machine and steal cans.  When you do bottles you have to ensure there's enough room for the bottles to come out and you will loose that bit of security.

Archived