National 147 Validator

RFVending

When you get a kit from national to change from pulse to serial you get new software, interface board and the harness.

So it is possible you do no not have a matched set of parts. If one or more of the parts is the other flavor it will not take bills.

Walta

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I just received the 147 Mars serial cable for this machine.  Hooked it up, set machine to SERIAL and I have the 7 switch off and 8 on...  Insert bill and the ready screen will slightly blink and the it spits the bill back at me.  You can change the 7 and 8 switches around to whatever you want, it will do the exact same thing.  Insert bill, screen might slightly blink but never go off READY, then returns the bill.  I think at this point it is broken.  Every thing matches the build sheet that came with the machine and the wiring diagram, but I guess something has kicked the bucket.

I do know the validator works fine as I had to use it in another machine the other day which had its validator go bad and it accepts bills and gives credit in it without issue.

You may need to update the main EPROM or replace the validator interface board.

Maybe, maybe not.  The way every thing has gone thus far I doubt that will fix it.  It's starting to get old and not worth the cost to keep throwing parts at it in hopes that it will work.  Getting to the point where a new board kit is going to be the most cost effective way to get it back to normal.

A new logic board kit would be a great investment and will give you MDB components, a new credit display and the option for guaranteed vend sensors.  It would do away with the obsolete National boards.

I get the feeling that there's what I refer to as... a "stupid" issue that is board-related (but may not necessarily be the board itself).  If you really like this machine, a board upgrade should really turn this thing into an awesome machine.  The only thing to worry about after the board upgrade would be keeping the trays connected.  The easiest short-term solution for this is to bend the contacts forward a little.

With all of that said, a door switch could be broken.... but I really don't get the feeling that it is the problem here.  It would save a lot of time and money to confirm it though.

Following this post and had a question on the serial harness and $5 acceptance.  If my NV 147 has just the 9-pin and Maka connections, then I need to buy a new validator interface board, harness and upgrade the eprom???  I get these directly from National?  Thanks for any info.

Running through only the 9 pin connector is the pulse connection which won't enable 5's. You need the serial machine harness for 5's to be enabled. You can try the harness first and see if your machines handles it better than RFVending's machine has in this thread. If your's doesn't then you may also need a new EPROM or serial board.

Archived