Buying 4 Office Delis in 5 hours. I HAVE QUESTIONS!

Dont fix the third one. Place the 2 you have, if they empty out fast spend on newer equipment or full size reputable brands. The only good thing about them is they are light weight.

• 2 months later...

***UPDATE!!!***

My goodness! I don't even know where to begin with this one! Well, here goes nothing...

I purchased all three vending machines from the seller. I had someone named Richard Loehr from Quality Vending Solutions come out and take a look at my machines. According to his assessment, everything was just as the sellers told me. Two of the machines were in dang near perfect condition (couple of small things), and the other one had a broken compressor(He thought. He needed to get it checkout out first to be sure), but was otherwise a great working compressor. They were great machines. He suggested I put LED lights inside of them and that I get a new bill validator for one of them, seeing as how he felt it would go out here within the next year. I let him take my compressor, and paid him for coming out... The next day, he gave me a breakdown of what all it would cost me to do his suggested repairs:

Compressor Rebuild...$600

Plastic Front Replacement...$90

LED Light Kits in all 3 machines... $100x 3....  $300.

New lock... $10 

Bill Acceptor Rebuilds... $150x2=$300
Thermostats for the last two remaining machines...$50x2=$100...

Grand total of: $1400.

I let him know that I wouldn't have the money to get the compressor fixed just yet, so I wasn't sure about that just yet. He emailed me back and his exact words to me were, "Ok this is what I think we should do... I completely understand and we can break this down into two jobs......Let's hold off on doing anything to the third machine(bad compressor) until you have more money... So let's complete these other things to your good machines". I agreed to do that and we tried to set up a time for him to come back. He never came back for like a month because we could never get on the same page. I was out of town when he wanted to come. It was raining and my machines were outside so he didn't come. He was out of town when I had the time. Etc. Etc. Etc.

***The Dilema***
Finally, after about 3 weeks of this, he messaged me and told me that he needed to come out to fix my machines  before the week was up, as he would be out of town for a month. I told him that would not be possible, but that we would meet when he came back. He said that if we couldn't meet up before he left out of town, he would have to sell my compressor to recoup the money he spent to get it fixed... This confused me because, as per HIS SUGGESTION, we decided not to do any work on the compressor just yet. Well, he informed me that he gave it to his friend and had the compressor worked on the very next day and that I now owed him the money for it. To make a long story even longer, we went back and forth for days about how he better not sell my compressor because I didn't give him permission to work on it, and how I better stop harassing him with emails, and if I want my compressor back, I need to drive 2 hours to his friend, pay him, and get my compressor back. Ugh, it was all so very very annoying. I didn't get this guy's deal when we agreed that no work would be done on the compressor. 

***The End Result***
At the end of the day, he agreed to pay $200 for the compressor, and I agreed to pay the other $200 and we went our separate ways.  So, In total, I had 3 of these vending machines that I put in $500+$200 for the compressor, so $700, plus I had a 5' wizard spiral gumball machine that was given to me for free. I spent $40 on 2 boxes of gumballs for the machine. In total, I was in for $700 for the 3 Combo Machines and 1 Gumball machine. I ended up posting all 3 combo machines online for $900 each, OBO, and the gumball machine for $400 OBO. I sold 1 combo for $700, 2 combos for $800, and the vending machine with the 2 boxes of gumballs for $300, all together making $2600. I then gave my grandpa $100 for allowing me to keep my machines in his backyard for a month.

***Final Thoughts/ What's Next?***
I almost quadrupled my total investment, so I'm happy with it. But, dealing with Richard and not knowing WTF I was going to do just stressed me out. I might use that $2500 I have, plus the $1000 I have saved up and buy a car from an auction and flip it. Maybe buy a house to rent out. My credit is good enough. We will see. The vending machine business will most likely have to be put on hold indefinitely.

Thank you to everyone for your input. At the end of the day, it wasn't the machines that gave me issues. I had a great find. I probably could have used those machines for a good year or two. Whoever bought them probably wont have any issues. I guess headaches like that are a part of the business sometimes, but what can ya do?! I learned my lesson though. Next time, I wont get combos because I was limited to office buildings (duh. "Office Deli), and I didn't like that too much. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal on a soda machine. I wish you all the best of luck!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the repairman, however it sounds like you weren't seriously into vending since you had no time to get them repaired in a timely manner. No vending tech wants to drag out any repair though he still may have forced you to fix the compressor before you wanted to. It kind of sounds like he might have taken advantage of you in some way (maybe) but there's probably plenty of blame to go around.

Leaving the mmachines to sit in the rain isn't how to store machines you're going to use or sell and you're lucky they were still in good condition to sell. While following your post I was unprepared and surprised for you to say that after all that grief and money spent all you did was flip the machines. You're lucky to have made anything on the deal and until you are serious about the work it takes to run a vending business you should probably stick to other get-rich-quick scenarios like flipping cars.

Not flaming you but calling it as I see it. Good luck to you.

You got Shafted with the leds, most here pay around 20 dollars.

Also the bill val rebuilds were slightly high. But otherwise, good job.

Well, I never actually paid for the lighting. I definitely should have done more research on that though.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the repairman, however it sounds like you weren't seriously into vending since you had no time to get them repaired in a timely manner. No vending tech wants to drag out any repair though he still may have forced you to fix the compressor before you wanted to. It kind of sounds like he might have taken advantage of you in some way (maybe) but there's probably plenty of blame to go around.

Leaving the mmachines to sit in the rain isn't how to store machines you're going to use or sell and you're lucky they were still in good condition to sell. While following your post I was unprepared and surprised for you to say that after all that grief and money spent all you did was flip the machines. You're lucky to have made anything on the deal and until you are serious about the work it takes to run a vending business you should probably stick to other get-rich-quick scenarios like flipping cars.

Not flaming you but calling it as I see it. Good luck to you.

Oh I was definitely into it. I had locations ready. But the guy was driving 2 hours away to come help me. I was going out of town and so was he. It just didn't work out with me having a full time job and us needing to have lighting for him to do his thing. We both definitely should have and could have handled the communication better. My machines were out in my backyard on tarp and also covered completely in tarp. Richard suggested I do so, and it was a super smart idea. It kept the machines in excellent shape and out of the elements. I'm definitely not looking for any get rich quick options here. My long term goal is to have rental properties. I was planning on using the money from this business to buy cars to flip so that I could save money for properties.The only reason I was interested in vending was because I was given the free gumball machine. I still think it's a cool idea. Alas, i'm out of it for the time being! Thanks for your input:)

• 5 months later...

Well, I never actually paid for the lighting. I definitely should have done more research on that though.

***UPDATE!!!***

My goodness! I don't even know where to begin with this one! Well, here goes nothing...

I purchased all three vending machines from the seller. I had someone named Richard Loehr from Quality Vending Solutions come out and take a look at my machines. According to his assessment, everything was just as the sellers told me. Two of the machines were in dang near perfect condition (couple of small things), and the other one had a broken compressor(He thought. He needed to get it checkout out first to be sure), but was otherwise a great working compressor. They were great machines. He suggested I put LED lights inside of them and that I get a new bill validator for one of them, seeing as how he felt it would go out here within the next year. I let him take my compressor, and paid him for coming out... The next day, he gave me a breakdown of what all it would cost me to do his suggested repairs:

Compressor Rebuild...$600

Plastic Front Replacement...$90

LED Light Kits in all 3 machines... $100x 3....  $300.

New lock... $10 

Bill Acceptor Rebuilds... $150x2=$300

Thermostats for the last two remaining machines...$50x2=$100...

Grand total of: $1400.

I let him know that I wouldn't have the money to get the compressor fixed just yet, so I wasn't sure about that just yet. He emailed me back and his exact words to me were, "Ok this is what I think we should do... I completely understand and we can break this down into two jobs......Let's hold off on doing anything to the third machine(bad compressor) until you have more money... So let's complete these other things to your good machines". I agreed to do that and we tried to set up a time for him to come back. He never came back for like a month because we could never get on the same page. I was out of town when he wanted to come. It was raining and my machines were outside so he didn't come. He was out of town when I had the time. Etc. Etc. Etc.

***The Dilema***
Finally, after about 3 weeks of this, he messaged me and told me that he needed to come out to fix my machines  before the week was up, as he would be out of town for a month. I told him that would not be possible, but that we would meet when he came back. He said that if we couldn't meet up before he left out of town, he would have to sell my compressor to recoup the money he spent to get it fixed... This confused me because, as per HIS SUGGESTION, we decided not to do any work on the compressor just yet. Well, he informed me that he gave it to his friend and had the compressor worked on the very next day and that I now owed him the money for it. To make a long story even longer, we went back and forth for days about how he better not sell my compressor because I didn't give him permission to work on it, and how I better stop harassing him with emails, and if I want my compressor back, I need to drive 2 hours to his friend, pay him, and get my compressor back. Ugh, it was all so very very annoying. I didn't get this guy's deal when we agreed that no work would be done on the compressor. 

***The End Result***
At the end of the day, he agreed to pay $200 for the compressor, and I agreed to pay the other $200 and we went our separate ways.  So, In total, I had 3 of these vending machines that I put in $500+$200 for the compressor, so $700, plus I had a 5' wizard spiral gumball machine that was given to me for free. I spent $40 on 2 boxes of gumballs for the machine. In total, I was in for $700 for the 3 Combo Machines and 1 Gumball machine. I ended up posting all 3 combo machines online for $900 each, OBO, and the gumball machine for $400 OBO. I sold 1 combo for $700, 2 combos for $800, and the vending machine with the 2 boxes of gumballs for $300, all together making $2600. I then gave my grandpa $100 for allowing me to keep my machines in his backyard for a month.

***Final Thoughts/ What's Next?***
I almost quadrupled my total investment, so I'm happy with it. But, dealing with Richard and not knowing WTF I was going to do just stressed me out. I might use that $2500 I have, plus the $1000 I have saved up and buy a car from an auction and flip it. Maybe buy a house to rent out. My credit is good enough. We will see. The vending machine business will most likely have to be put on hold indefinitely.

Thank you to everyone for your input. At the end of the day, it wasn't the machines that gave me issues. I had a great find. I probably could have used those machines for a good year or two. Whoever bought them probably wont have any issues. I guess headaches like that are a part of the business sometimes, but what can ya do?! I learned my lesson though. Next time, I wont get combos because I was limited to office buildings (duh. "Office Deli), and I didn't like that too much. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal on a soda machine. I wish you all the best of luck!

Hello, Is there any way you can put me in touch with Richard Loehr ? Email and or phone number? Thanks

Archived