Mint Boxes

verdigirl

Anybody have a script for calling locations for mint boxes?

Dont cold call for boxes. Go in person and locate.

You will end up turning off some locations if you call them. Go in person and your success will be much greater.

I think that cold calling for honor boxes should be done only in extreme circumstances. Good luck!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk in, box in hand and say hi, my name is Beth, we're trying to help Breast cancer awareness, I'm part of candy for a cause and would like to find out if we can put this here in your restaurant? Even if it's for a limited time it would help greatly!

Make sir you talk to the manager, give them a brochure, and ask for the manager first.

When in the phone I don't use the 30day part, but in person I do.

Also a suggestion to anyone doing the pink ribbon boxes.  You might want to consider getting a t-shirt, sweatshirt, cap, etc from the Susan G. Komen foundation to wear when locating or on your collection rounds.  They have clothing for both women and men.  Website is http://www.shopkomen.com

Karwood,

Do you have boxes with pink ribbon, and if so, do you place them yourself?

Your best bet is to go door to door. These are easy to place when done this way because you deal with the decision maker upfront and in person. Also you can place about 20-30 locations per day when you get going.

Your best bet is to go door to door. These are easy to place when done this way because you deal with the decision maker upfront and in person. Also you can place about 20-30 locations per day when you get going.

Anything in particular you say?  And, do you wear some sort of "pink ribbon gear" when going?  Do you have a brochure or the box with you?  Thanks!

Anything in particular you say? And, do you wear some sort of "pink ribbon gear" when going? Do you have a brochure or the box with you? Thanks!

All of that will help tremendously! The more you dress the part the more likely you'll get it.

What are  you mint box vendors seeing on average per month?  Some of mine are pulling in the $20-$30. range, some $15 or less.  At what point would you consider a location not worthwhile?  I had one hat did $3.00 and pulled it.

What are  you mint box vendors seeing on average per month?  Some of mine are pulling in the $20-$30. range, some $15 or less.  At what point would you consider a location not worthwhile?  I had one hat did $3.00 and pulled it.

Last I heard was avg of $18/mo per box. Some will be more, some will be less. That $3 location, did it have any shrinkage? Just becsuse it did $3 the first pull doesn't mean it's a bad location. I give my locations at least 3 pulls before making a decision unless there is no candy left and no money then I would pull it.

Usually I go in with box and sheet from NCCS and talk with owner or manager and explain why I'm there. Usually there is no problem getting them to answer yes or no. After decision made move onto next location.

I have had mint boxes for 2 years

And have found the most important is how much profit you have every time you service the location. My average gross is $12.50 and $9.00 net. every per every service. I service 25 LOCATIONS on a route about 4-5 hours.

About $225.00 per route. This is what I focus on, how much profit per service. If I can't net $9-10 I will either extend

The service.cycle or consider pulling the box. If theft is 50% or more I will pull the box, I will not let anyone steal that much from me.

Up till recently, I had a location that did $300 a month, next best one is about $100 per month. All the others range from $30-$3 per month.

$300/mo is pretty unbelievable.

Tell me about it. I was devastated when I was told to remove the box.

Tell me about it. I was devastated when I was told to remove the box.

I tried everything I could to keep box in there. Took me about 3 months to get over it. Still think about it from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone paying someone to do their routes for them? Any suggestions to minimize cheating and pay? Or any methods that's worked for them?

No, but I saw some ads on Craigslist with honor box vendors looking for people to run their routes - paying $10. an hour.  I actually emailed the person to see if they got any repsonse but they never emailed back.

• 8 months later...

I use both as well. The cardboard ones look nice and are great for expanding but they do wear ouT. The coin slot takes a beating. I recommend reinforcing it with tape underneath. I like the acrylic ones best. They look very nice and don't wear out as quickly. One thing I found with those though is the edges can be a little sharp. I cut my hands several times

As far as locations go, if you can get it on the counter by the register in a restaurant then you are good to go. Other locations that do well for me are hotels, vape stores ( lot of people hang out in those) also busy nail places can do ok. Car dealerships in the service area

Hi eagelsfan,

I am thinking of getting into the mint box business and I was thinking of placing them in hotels. Can you tell me how much  you charge for one candy and where do you place it. Thank you for your answer!

Hi, to me it seems like the reason for the high turn over for the mint boxes is that the owner sees all that money and wants to do it himself. Did anybody try to put say.. tin foil into the money compartment to hide the money so it wouldn't be so tempting and raise jealousy?

Thanks for your answer.

Hi eagelsfan,

I am thinking of getting into the mint box business and I was thinking of placing them in hotels. Can you tell me how much  you charge for one candy and where do you place it. Thank you for your answer! 

I'm also going to try some hotels.  Anybody else with hotels?  Are they chain hotels or smaller local places? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, to me it seems like the reason for the high turn over for the mint boxes is that the owner sees all that money and wants to do it himself. Did anybody try to put say.. tin foil into the money compartment to hide the money so it wouldn't be so tempting and raise jealousy?

Thanks for your answer.

I'm curious to this as well. From my understanding it seems acrylics do perform better but it's the concept of the money being "out in the open". While I was thinking of like a tint or something else on the coin box, I'm curious to hear others opinions of this as well.

Archived