Mint Boxes

verdigirl

The way I weigh mine is I switch my scale to grams. It is a finer graduation of numbers. 100 mints weights about 1,445 grams. The chocolate dipped candy varies quite a bit so I don't care if its a little off because the mints are so cheap. It goes real fast this way, counting takes forever.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I weigh mine is I switch my scale to grams. It is a finer graduation of numbers. 100 mints weights about 1,445 grams. The chocolate dipped candy varies quite a bit so I don't care if its a little off because the mints are so cheap. It goes real fast this way, counting takes forever.

Good idea and thank you! I'm definitely trying this method!

I don't have very many honor boxes, but I use a similar process.

My boxes are all numbered underneath.

I walk into my location with a fresh box fully stocked to put in place of the one already on site.

Once I'm back in my vehicle I note the location and box # on my service sheet so that when I get home I can count money and inventory product.

This may or may not work with snack boxes.

Mine are all mint and gum.

Sherlock,

How does gum do in you honor boxes?  And, what kind of gum is it?

Sherlock,

How does gum do in you honor boxes?  And, what kind of gum is it?

I use the little packets of Canel's gum from Sams.

It does fine. Like any other product, it's good in some locations and not so good in others.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I heard the other day through another member (name will not be disclosed) that Sheridan supposedly took a survey of honor box operators and how many locations could be done per hr. The consensus was 26 locations per hr is what the survey showed. Is this realistic or not? I can only do about 7 or 8 maybe 10 an hr if I push it. This includes walking in greeting owner or manager and dropping off box and walking back out to my vehicle and go to next location. My locations are pretty much close together. I don't think 26 locations an hr is on the up and up? What say you.

26 isnt completly false in all instances. I mean It takes me 1.5 hours to do 30 locations but there all fairly close to each other. my method of doing them is I take  my wife with me and ill have a box to swap out the current one and when I bring it out to the truck she will count whats left and note it in a pad, count money and put in bag and refill the box for the next location to swap. Just repeat through out the route.

26 isnt completly false in all instances. I mean It takes me 1.5 hours to do 30 locations but there all fairly close to each other. my method of doing them is I take my wife with me and ill have a box to swap out the current one and when I bring it out to the truck she will count whats left and note it in a pad, count money and put in bag and refill the box for the next location to swap. Just repeat through out the route.

That makes sense, but you are using two people to service about 20 boxes per hour. The survey implies that one person can service 26 stops in an hour on average.

Well, just experienced a very sad day today. When my wife went to a location that has been bringing in $300 consistently to service it and was told to take it out. When she asked why, she was told to just take it out in a bit of a rude manner. So I called and when I asked about it, I was told that the owner felt it had been there long enough.

This really blows, as every week I had gone through 200 mints a week and had $60+ in it.

Well, just experienced a very sad day today. When my wife went to a location that has been bringing in $300 consistently to service it and was told to take it out. When she asked why, she was told to just take it out in a bit of a rude manner. So I called and when I asked about it, I was told that the owner felt it had been there long enough.

This really blows, as every week I had gone through 200 mints a week and had $60+ in it.

That's awful. I'm really sorry to hear that.

You're probably right! They do open the box to exchange the low bills with 20s and 10s. I wasn't too comfortable with that, but as the time progressed, I just went with it. I didn't want to make an issue about it.

Had a similar but different reason for pulling. Had a laundry/dry cleaning place. They did a consistent $100/wk. After 2 months was told to pick up box because they got tired of policing box (seems some people were trying to fish the money out of the box). Was bummed for awhile. Went back in and tried to work out a solution but they just thanks anyways.

Unfortunately that's how the mint boxes go. You can't rely on locations to last long term. They very well might last Long but cant rely on it. Constantly need to find new locations. Luckily they are easy to replace with new locations but it definitely hurts when you lose one of your best ones

Unfortunately that's how the mint boxes go. You can't rely on locations to last long term. They very well might last Long but cant rely on it. Constantly need to find new locations. Luckily they are easy to replace with new locations but it definitely hurts when you lose one of your best ones

So then, what is the average time some of you experience as far as mint box placement?  Is it months, years?  Since I use a locator (Rodney is great!), I have an initial invest to get back, and then want to actually see profits. 

BTW, I may try placing some boxes  myself.  No offense to Rodney, it's just that the $ adds up, and I do plan on continuing to use him because he really is the best, but I may try to do a couple on my own.  Anyone have a good script?  Anything other than restaurants and salons that are working for people? 

So then, what is the average time some of you experience as far as mint box placement?  Is it months, years? 

It's good you are doing some locating on your own.

Honor box vending will require you to constantly locate because of the higher turnover.

I have very few honor boxes that go "years". In fact, probably none have gone over 2 yrs.

With honor boxes, there is a lot more location-turnover than there is with bulk and far more turnover than with full-line or amusement.

In my experience, you will lose honor box locations on a regular basis.

But that's just part of honor box vending. 

If you regularly locate while servicing you will hardly feel the impact of the lost locations most of the time.

Thank You, Sherlock, this makes sense.  Is there any particular script you use when locating? 

Also, from what I gather, bulk machines don't make as much monthly as honor boxes?  I could be reading that wrong, and again, I suppose it depends on location.

I may try eventually getting some bulk machines because I can see how they would go longer term.  Thank You for you help.

What kind of scale you using?  

So then, what is the average time some of you experience as far as mint box placement? Is it months, years? Since I use a locator (Rodney is great!), I have an initial invest to get back, and then want to actually see profits.

BTW, I may try placing some boxes myself. No offense to Rodney, it's just that the $ adds up, and I do plan on continuing to use him because he really is the best, but I may try to do a couple on my own. Anyone have a good script? Anything other than restaurants and salons that are working for people?

I never take offense to anyone learning to locate for themselves! I think it's great! I always say that's the best way! Always be locating!

Archived