Mint Boxes

verdigirl

ccdonations makes a donation to komen but the label they provide is not a komen label. Its their Own. Be careful when explaining this to business owners because the pink box and the pink sticker they give are not officially Komen, however that is where they donate what is collected.

Verdigirl, the pink boxes have holes in them that allows you to put a zip tie in them. You can buy a big bag at home depot. I recommend it. I think you will like the acrylic ones better. I always feel better walking iN a location with one of those more than the cardboard. Plus the dollar bills are always nicer haha. They get folded up and smashed up pretty good in the cardboard boxes. No big deal though

Also to answer your question I think almost everyone just swaps out. It's so much easier that way. Swap and label it so when you get home you know which is which. Then I usually count my mints that are left. I put 100 in each box. So then I calculate how many mints were sold by subtracting the mints that are left from 100. Then I multiply the amt of mints sold by .07 to determine cost of goods sold. Then I count my money. Then subtract costs of goods sold from total collected to see my profit for the box. As long as I make $4 profit a month I keep the location But if its around the $4 I will only keep it if it's close to others I have. Many boxes profit between 10-20 a month

Well, I've decided to order a mix of acrylics and plain cardboard (just 10 or so to start), and then I will use Vend2help because Rodney recommends them, and from everything I see on here and hear, Rodney is very reputable.  He will be placing my boxes.  I will do the swap out.  

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've decided to order a mix of acrylics and plain cardboard (just 10 or so to start), and then I will use Vend2help because Rodney recommends them, and from everything I see on here and hear, Rodney is very reputable.  He will be placing my boxes.  I will do the swap out.  

You won't be disappointed. I certainly had my doubts and questions at first as well. I did my first round of servicing yesterday and was a good experience overall. I used Rodney to place my boxes. I started with the plain plastic/cardboard boxes and ordered the stickers through Vend2Help. There were some locations that had major shortages (no fault of Rodney's), while others had very little to no shortages. The ones that had the least amount of shortage are the ones that performed the best in terms of what was left when I serviced them. I started with 150 Pearson mints in each box, priced them at 3/$1 and 3 weeks later, 3 locations were sold out (with one of them saying they tried to call me a week ago stating they were out...hmm).

Here's an experience that I have mixed feelings about. While servicing a box from one of the locations that was sold out, it appeared to have been opened previously and it did feel extremely light compared to the others that had sold less. While walking back to the truck prior to opening it, I started to jump to conclusions of theft. I haven't used zip ties yet. Well, when I opened, I'm glad I didn't immediately go back in and say anything. It had 2 twenties and 7 ones in it, whew! When I brought the box back in full (but with 200 this time), the cashier/manager mentioned that she opened it to replace the 1s with higher bills. I told her that I didn't have a problem with and certainly didn't want to say anything if I did, as that location had REALLY performed.

After doing my first round, I can see why folks like to use the Acrylic boxes instead. Much easier to service and manage the money, and not subject to wear and tear from servicing. I do intend on replacing the higher performing ones with the Acrylic ones in the future as money permits. My goal is to have 200 locations within a year. This is in addition to the other routes I have for snack/drink machines. And I also want to get into bulk as well.

Anyways, sorry for the long ramble. Just wanted to share my experiences with the honor box side of vending since stating it about 3 weeks ago and hope it gives you some more info/ammo in moving forward.

Thank You Veteran78!

How many boxes did you begin with?  Many people suggest using the zip ties for the cardboard boxes - are you going to use them, or just leave them as is?  Thanks!

You're welcome! I bought 25, but have 10 placed through Rodney, and just submitted an order to get 5 more. I haven't used zip ties, but I may. I didn't think about using them till that incident happened.

I just ran my numbers for the 5 locations that I serviced yesterday.

Total collected: $139.48

Total amount of mints: ~720

Total investment: $31.14

Total NET: $108.34

Of course, that's including the $1.50 per sticker fee of the 5 boxes, but $100+ profit is pretty awesome.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I get my mints from Sams Club for $12.48 per box. Bought my acrylic boxes from Sheridan. If I remember correctly I bought 200 at one time and another 100 a second time. Placed 250 and had 50 leftover to use to swap out. Been doing it since Sept 2012. Presently have 35 boxes out and plan on getting the 125 back out that have been picked up over the last year and a half. Last yr grossed 17k on this route.

Thanks so much for sharing this info!  May I ask where you got your boxes?  And what types of locations do you have?   Do you get your mints at Sam's?  At my Sam's, they are $11.99 for a box of 175.

I got my boxes from Sheridan. 9 of the locations are restaurants and the other is a car repair business. Yes, the only mints I have access to are the Pearson's at Sam's. They come in a jug of 240 count for $10.38. I'd like to get Yorks, but these Pearson's are selling just fine, so I may not pursue other avenues of getting the Yorks.

May I ask why your 135 need to be relocated?  Were the locations not working out?   Thanks!

Veteran78,

How long did you wait until your first service of your boxes - 2 weeks?

My plan was to service them every 30 days. But I got a call from one of the locations stating that the box was nearly empty. This is going on the third week. So I figured I would service as many as I could the following day and found that I would need to adjust my schedule to service them more frequently, maybe every two weeks. But I also placed more mints in the boxes this time around. I started with 150, but brought it up to 200 this time around. But I don't think the boxes will be able to handle that much money, which is why I'd like to eventually switch them out to the Acrylic boxes.

I usually place mine and go back for the first service after 2 weeks. I can tell then if they need every week, every 2 week or once a month service. They usually start off selling most of the mints and slow down after a couple of months, after the new wears off with the employees.

You will lose a lot of locations as you go. You are always placing and picking up new locations. I buy 10 locations at a time from my locator and I can figure on having to pick up 2 or 3 out of 10 a few days later after placing them. Corporate, the Owner or another manager will come in and not want it there. I mostly go after the big chain restaurants so I have to pick up a few more. But if they stay they will do very good. I have a few I have to fill 2 times a week. I place 100 mints in every box. Do the math, I have locations doing $80 to $100 a month on mints. Love it...

Lake Cities Vending,

Again, I am new to this, so I need to ask why, if you have a locator, do that many location need relocating, if in fact the locator has done his/her job and gotten approval through the management/owner?  Is this miscommunication between the locator and the management, or just the locator not doing his/her job?  So glad to ear this is successful for you - I hope to be placing 10 at a time as I can afford it.Thanks!

The reason I have 135 boxes to relocate is that some locations over time have asked for the box to be removed or some locations have had a high shrinkage and need to be pulled. One must remember when doing this type of vending there is going to be a turnover of locations. I've noticed some on here are doing corporate places. I don't do corporate because of the turnover of managers and gm's a don't want the hassle. I stick with the mom and pops of the world. So much easier to deal with and they are usually there when I go to service. Also when doing vending one must NEVER get complacent with the locations they have. There is always room for improvement.

Lake Cities Vending,

Again, I am new to this, so I need to ask why, if you have a locator, do that many location need relocating, if in fact the locator has done his/her job and gotten approval through the management/owner?  Is this miscommunication between the locator and the management, or just the locator not doing his/her job?  So glad to ear this is successful for you - I hope to be placing 10 at a time as I can afford it.Thanks!

He always gets me replacements. When he calls he talks to who ever is in charge at the time of the call. Sometimes there is somebody else who owns the place but doesn't work there or corporate policy against it. Like treadmill said, some times they just get tired of them and ask you to remove them after time. Treadmill has a lot more experience at this than me, reading his post is what got me to add mint boxes to my route. Usually if they last a week they are good to go for awhile.

Just place your boxes, take your money and buy more. Before you know it you will have lots of boxes out.

Treadmill,

How long does your average placement last?  Do you use a locator?  Thanks!

I have locations since sept 2012. There is no ryhme.or reason. Do not overthink this. This is not rocket science. My locator has a min. order of 100 locations before he comes out. I don't use him anymore as I can save $20 per location and I place them myself.

Keep seeing $20 mentioned but haven't found anyone locating this cheap. Anyone getting locations this cheap with any type of guarantee or right to refusal? Looking to have 150 boxes located in June and July and would rather hire it out to a locator if a good one could be had for $20 a location with at least 2 out 3 being restaurant locations.

Keep seeing $20 mentioned but haven't found anyone locating this cheap. Anyone getting locations this cheap with any type of guarantee or right to refusal? Looking to have 150 boxes located in June and July and would rather hire it out to a locator if a good one could be had for $20 a location with at least 2 out 3 being restaurant locations.

James,

My locator charged me $22 per location but that with a minimum of I believe 125 to place and it took him a week to do it.

Hey Everyone!

Rodney69  just located my first 10 mint boxes and I just have to say what a great locator he is.  All done in two days and so willing to give advice and answer questions.  Very patient with a newbie like me.  Awesome customer service!  I recommend him to anyone looking for a trustworthy, quality locator.  Thank You, Rodney!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived