Bill Validator Not Working At All

I just got a new bill validator earlier this year, and it seems to suddenly be not working at all. The LED light never goes on, which tells me that either the whole unit is dead, or that it is not receiving power. 

From my understanding, the coin mech gives power to the validator, because there is a pair of red and white cables connecting the two. Is there a way to check if the coin mech is actually supplying power, or if it's the validator? What is the voltage the validator takes? Perhaps I can simulate that voltage and see if the LED turns on.

I will attach pictures later if needed.                                   

RedyTedy welcome to the forum.

For a answer, we need a brand name and model of machine, also what make of DBA  and model your talking about.

Once you supply that somebody will give you help from here.

cajun

This sounds like a single price machine and the red and white wires are simply the credit line wires that transfer the credit from the validator to the coin mech.  The validator power is supplied from a large black cord leading to a plug that's located between the coin mech power plug and the machine socket.  The first thing to check is that you have a minimum of 10-12 coins in each of your coin tubes so the bill validator can be enabled by the coin mech.  Another test you can do is to power the machine off and then back on while listening to the validator.  If it runs a cycle of the bill stacker then it has power and if the machine then accepts coins and vends you will know the machine is working correctly.  This then can come down to a coin mech issue not enabling the validator or just a bad validator.

If you need a reliable supplier of rebuilt parts then you can PM me.

Here's a photo of the bill validator:

3468fu1.jpg

There is also a wire on the bill reader connecting to what looks like a data/power port on the machine. You say that this plug is used only for power. The coin mech has a similar cable. Photos:

5odr9w.jpg

21ovx5g.jpg

It all looks to be connected properly so if you have plenty of coins in the tubes you either have a bad coin mech or bad validator. Do you have another machine to test either part in? I'm not sure what the two extra white connectors are for but it appears they might have been on the switch I see to the upper left below the validator. I don't recognize what that switch is. Perhaps a lockout switch if that switch is a keyswitch?

It all looks to be connected properly so if you have plenty of coins in the tubes you either have a bad coin mech or bad validator. Do you have another machine to test either part in? I'm not sure what the two extra white connectors are for but it appears they might have been on the switch I see to the upper left below the validator. I don't recognize what that switch is. Perhaps a lockout switch if that switch is a keyswitch?

That switch does take a key, but we have long lost the key. 

Unfortunately I have no other machine to test the validator and coin mech on. As I said before, you can buy soda with coins.

If the coin mech wasn't "enabling" the validator, would I still hear sounds when the machine turns on? The reason I ask is that the bill validator is completely silent when the machine goes on.

What cables do the bill validator use for power? Maybe I could manually connect wires to the validator and externally send power?

Thanks for the help so far! 

If the validator does not power up when you plug the machine in (no sound at all from it) but your coin mech does work then you have either a bad validator harness or bad validator period. It's not usually the harness so I'd recommend you replace the validator with a rebuilt unit.  I can supply one if you need it.

If the validator does not power up when you plug the machine in (no sound at all from it) but your coin mech does work then you have either a bad validator harness or bad validator period. It's not usually the harness so I'd recommend you replace the validator with a rebuilt unit.  I can supply one if you need it.

What is a harness? How do I test if the harness is the issue?

I would be interested in another validator if it's not the harness, but I'm located in California. Do you only sell locally?

If the vendor is in working order you can unplug the coin mech from the harness going to validator.(8 pin jones plug) Leave the jones plug plugged in. The coinco BA 30 B is totally independent of the coin mech when coin mech is unplugged. It will accept bills and stack them without coin mech being plugged in. It just can't set a credit. By doing this you can test the bill validator without vending and setting a credit.

Archived