Vendo 721 Credit card problems - Nayax

Chard

Just installed a Nayax CC Reader on a nearly new Vendo 721. Once connected everything powers up including the modem, bill validator and coin mech.

The display on the CC reader says "Cash Only" and it takes bills and coins just fine.

I've swapped out the modem, coin mech and validator with known working parts. Every component works fine. The credit card modem just doesn't seem to connect and take payments in this machine. It does power up fine, just doesn't seem to communicate with the rest of the machine.

Nayax cannot help. Since their modem worked in another machine when swapped it's not the modem. I have no idea how to proceed.

The only suspect things I can pinpoint is perhaps the MDB extension from the modem, the MDB extension that plugs into the board or some sort of interference from the firmware that might need to be updated.

Any ideas or has anyone experienced a problem similar to this?

Sometimes, I believe the reader has to be hooked up in a certain order. Try hooking up the reader as the MDB connection closest to the board. Try various orders.

Make sure your signal strength is good.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I would assume that your board is not supported for some odd reason. My money is on the connection order though.

Changing the order in which they connect to the MDB harness is easy. I really doubt it's your machine though. I think it's the reader if not the MDB connection.

Has this reader already been set up? As in, you've called or did whatever you needed it to do to know where to credit funds?

I'll go tomorrow and reorder the connections.

I've went through the full diagnostic with Nayax without avail.  Neither they nor I can figure it out.  

I think you're right about the order although I believe I have the card reader first in daisy chain of components.

I have an Vendo 821 with the same setup about a mile away.  I might swap the components between the two until it works.

I don't know why it needs to be that way sometimes but I think it has to do with the coin mech taking priority which will enable the validator and possibly disable the reader.

I look at all components as "input credit devices" except the coin mech can "control" other devices so it can decide if change is available. Perhaps the coin mech thinks that the reader will not allow it to give change back so it disables it. Of course, we know that isn't the case.

I have heard of something like this before though. I'm no expert on the matter.

I have only one 721 w/NAYAX CC reader. The correct order is this: the MDB connection connects to the machine MDB harness, the validator plugs into the female end of NAYAX harness and coin mech plugs into splitter of validator harness. I do not know how old your machine is, but the software of the control board must support CC readers. I had same issue with a USI machine. My display said cash only but mech & validator were both disabled when reader was plugged in. Had to upgrade the software on machine. Worked fine then.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.  I've changed out the eprom to  v34 per recommendation of Vendo and everything is up and working as normal.

As a followup question, where do you all acquire CC Bezel masks for your Coinco and Mars validators for use on the Nayax system.

Every time I purchase one for use on the Nayax system I have to send it in to Coinco (for those brand units) and have them reprogrammed to a generic setting.

I've checked with Nayax and they don't sell the masks for use on their system.  This is an added expense and a pain to coordinate.  Does anyone have a good source for these?

We have not changed masks but have just added the Nayax Reader separately. If your door has a second port... use it. If it does not have the extra port just drill the 5 holes and mount it to the door. Never even touches the existing validators.

I've done this on many on our machines, but some of them I don't want to drill into.  The voice from the Nayax swipe unit is always talking every time someone swipes their card.  In some offices it gets pretty annoying even with the volume turned all the way down.   On other units we just don't have enough space on the face to mount the reader.  I find this especially with the USI equipment.

On the Nayax devices, you can use the MEI 4in1 or 3-in1 bezels that you can order direct from MEI or Crane, you just have to get an MEI adapter from Nayax and have them set it to MEI in their system. I have actually found the MEI bezels to have fewer issues than those from Nayax, especially their VPOS readers, which I have had several problems with. When getting the MEI adapter from Nayax, just make sure you specify what type of modem you have, the AMIT(IRIS) or the old red or yellow ones.

• 10 months later...

Ok.  I've changed out the eprom to  v34 per recommendation of Vendo and everything is up and working as normal.

As a followup question, where do you all acquire CC Bezel masks for your Coinco and Mars validators for use on the Nayax system.

Every time I purchase one for use on the Nayax system I have to send it in to Coinco (for those brand units) and have them reprogrammed to a generic setting.

I've checked with Nayax and they don't sell the masks for use on their system.  This is an added expense and a pain to coordinate.  Does anyone have a good source for these?

I am having problems with a Nayax card reader on a V21 too. My EPROM say Vec 12.1 Rev 23. Will this need to be updated to a later revision or is the problem in my settings? My behaviour seems a bit different in that it will accept the card and charge it, but the machine doesn't vend the drink, but instead hangs with "99.99" on the display until it times out or I open the door. I have two machines that are doing this.

Yes, you'll need to update the eprom to a newer revision.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it is 12.1 Revision 34 or higher.  Make sure you get the 12.1 chip. 

Best bet is to go through Vendo.  You'll be able to pull the old chip with a paper clip and pop the new chip in.   

I think there is another thread that I started a few months ago to document chip revisions on various machines.

Archived