20 oz bottle prices.

putrevus

I get my 20oz from Pepsi. My wife does the books but I think we pay 83c a bottle. Not sure if that's before or after deposit. Coke I get at Sams for about 96c. Sell both for 1.50. Just went to 1.50 at a few accounts and they were not pleased until I asked them where they could go and buy a 20oz for under 1.79 + deposit. They agreeded. They are still getting it 34c cheaper then any store around. Some convience stores run 2/$3 specials but they still have to pay deposit on top of that so I am still cheaper.

Some higher end accounts such as call centers and a few manufacturing require bottles they claim there isn't as many spills I think it's bullshit but they are the boss and if they sell why not

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Then 16.9 it up, .50c sell for 1.25

My bottle machines i have i sell

coke

coke zero

sprite

dr pepper

all for 1.25 cost .50c

monsters 2.50 cost 1 to 1.25

az teas 16.9 cost .43 sell for 1.25

dasani 16.9 cost .15c sell for $1-$1.25

Powerades .49 sell for 1.25

There are some threads here that discuss sourcing 20 oz., but many of us end up in the same place: either a third party agreement with a bottler, or Vistar). Can/bottle decision (or customer request) is important, though.

A few tidbits

Can:

-Sell more total units in a machine, even though...

-...people have to walk back to the machine for another drink. (Sounds dumb, but some people do grumble about having to get off their butt more often, and supervisors get frustrated because they goof off every time they get up.) The real impact, though, is that your machine motors, buttons, and mechanisms work about twice as much as with bottles (which, theoretically, halves the life).

-Way more units capacity, which leads to...

-...Longer service interval (days between last visit and next visit), which also means...

-...fewer 'Sold Outs' between visits. It is a good service visit if all items are almost sold out, but it looks bad if the machine is lit up like a Winter Holiday tree when you go to service it.

-No matter where you source your can inventory, the packages or cases will stack in your vehicle, warehouse, or hand truck

Bottle:

-Higher profit per unit, especially 16.9 oz

-Unless you are buying bottles in racks from the bottler or similar, those bottles are not going to stack very well in your vehicle, warehouse, or hand truck. I treat bottles like hand grenades: powerful, but out of my hands (and storage) as quickly as possible.

-Bottles have a shorter expiration (or 'best by') date. Diet drinks always have a short date, but many cans go nine months or more. (Our local bottler has a few retail places where the bottle stuff is past the date before it even gets put on the shelf.)

-It is my experience that, if there is a jam in the machine, it is a bottle rather than a can. (Exception: Uncarbonated can drinks may cause a jam that would not have happened with carbonated cans, but it is rare, in my experience.)

There are other differences, and some people here have different best practices for their business, based on the same facts. As RShlig said, some customers have a preference. When they do, you work to make it happen in a profitable way. You usually have better success in the location if your location contact person feels like they were part of the planning effort, or at least listened to.

Not to hijack the thread with the above comments, but it is related, insofar as deciding whether to go through the effort to source 20 oz. I have had success in marketing 16.9 oz. because many of my locations have teenagers, tweens, and younger kids, and the 20 oz. is often more than one kid drinks at a time. It not only sounds good to the location contact, it is true that the kids are getting the treat of a soda pop (it is called coke down here ^-^ ), but they are not overdoing it. (Have you ever seen a six-year-old with a 20 oz. to their face? Kinda funny-looking.)

Of course, it is also good to keep to as few SKUs as possible. Holding inventory and vehicle space for 12 oz., 16.9 oz., and 29 oz. of the same flavor is not efficient, unless there is an overriding business reason to do so.

If you do go to the bottler for 20 oz., know that they have different pricing for different customers. If the plant is nearby, find out which of your friends and acquaintances works there and ask what the 'magic word' is for good pricing (usually employee pricing). If you happen to know a regional VP of 'widget shenanigans', you may get a cost per case low enough to make a difference. It is hard to negotiate down after you start a relationship with a bottler.

TKK gave a decent number for the cost of a can at $.30. However, I am usually able to keep it around $.26 (and I do not spend time shopping around for sales). Four cents per unit adds up (over $20 more profit for a sell-through in an average machine). Bottles still make more profit per unit, but with more than double the number of units in a machine, cans make more total profit. I usually pay $.42 for 16.9 oz. bottles. Vending 20 oz. kills the profit scenario that I like to have at a location.

Short story long:

Access to 20 oz. is limited, which is why the price is higher per ounce.

It is often best to steer a location into 16.9 oz. bottles.

It may be even better to steer a location into 12 oz. cans.

There are exceptions for all of this, especially if it means 'Customer Buy' instead of 'Customer Bye'.

LB

I can get 20oz from pep for .77 which is pretty good but I sell 16,9 mainly and get them from wolly world for anywhere .45-.55 sell them for 1.00

Pastries I get

Donuts .15-.25

Honey buns .20-.30

Another pastries are about the same as well and sell them for 1.00

I would agree that your profit margin on you 16.9 is better.  We do alot of inventory in bottles......Well we think it is alot .........Like 25 - 30 cases a week.  If we had to go and buy those from the store as apposed to having Coke or SunDrop deliver.......That would be another 1/2 day of work each week that we just dont have time for.......There is something to say about just ordering and having it delivered to the warehouse and we never have to touch it until we load the truck.......Any idea or getting those 16.9's in bulk ??

Any idea where do we get 16.9 oz bottles of coke or pepsi in NJ, I called Vistar they only carry 20 OZ, Sams and Costco also carry only 20 OZ.

I am not able to find a place which sells 16.9 oz bottles.

Thanks again for your help

I searched Sam's online in NJ, and it seems that they do sell 20 oz. (and not 16.9 oz.). Cans seem to be about the same price as in other areas of the country, but the 20 oz. is not even close to a good price. That is odd, since the increased supply (Sam's and Costco, in addition to Coke and Vistar) should keep pricing lower.

I see 16.9 oz. Coke at Wal-Mart in NJ. It is understandable that large vendors do not want to bother with walking into a retail store and purchasing inventory. In my area, I would rather walk into any Wal-Mart - instead of Sam's - with my tax exempt card and buy 16.9 oz. As for pricing, three words: Savings Catcher, man. (Was it AngryChris who mentioned it on another thread?) I have used Savings Catcher for a few years, back when it was just a pilot program. I never look at prices; I just buy what I need. It will be too long and confusing to explain it here, but Wal-Mart's site explains it well. Of course, I use Sam's, too. It is just that buying 16.9 oz. at Wal-Mart fits my schedule and lifestyle. I have kids who are always hungry, and I drive past a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market every time I leave the house. I am already in that place once a day, anyway. (How my kids can drink six gallons of milk a week is something I stopped trying to understand a few years back.)

Short story long:

Sam's sells 20 oz. (but not 16.9 oz.) in NJ. Who knew?

Wal-Mart seems to sell 16.9 oz. everywhere.

Wal-Mart as a source for inventory makes sense for some small and medium vending companies, depending on logistics.

Savings Catcher.

Buy from my machines to keep my kids fed.

LB

I searched Sam's online in NJ, and it seems that they do sell 20 oz. (and not 16.9 oz.). Cans seem to be about the same price as in other areas of the country, but the 20 oz. is not even close to a good price. That is odd, since the increased supply (Sam's and Costco, in addition to Coke and Vistar) should keep pricing lower.

I see 16.9 oz. Coke at Wal-Mart in NJ. It is understandable that large vendors do not want to bother with walking into a retail store and purchasing inventory. In my area, I would rather walk into any Wal-Mart - instead of Sam's - with my tax exempt card and buy 16.9 oz. As for pricing, three words: Savings Catcher, man. (Was it AngryChris who mentioned it on another thread?) I have used Savings Catcher for a few years, back when it was just a pilot program. I never look at prices; I just buy what I need. It will be too long and confusing to explain it here, but Wal-Mart's site explains it well. Of course, I use Sam's, too. It is just that buying 16.9 oz. at Wal-Mart fits my schedule and lifestyle. I have kids who are always hungry, and I drive past a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market every time I leave the house. I am already in that place once a day, anyway. (How my kids can drink six gallons of milk a week is something I stopped trying to understand a few years back.)

Short story long:

Wal-Mart as a source for inventory makes sense for some small and medium vending companies, depending on logistics.

Savings Catcher.

LB

the problem with walmart is they dont have stock always, that makes it very hard to operate solely depending on them.

Short story long:

Savings Catcher.

LB

the problem with walmart is they dont have stock always, that makes it very hard to operate solely depending on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea where do we get 16.9 oz bottles of coke or pepsi in NJ, I called Vistar they only carry 20 OZ, Sams and Costco also carry only 20 OZ.

I am not able to find a place which sells 16.9 oz bottles.

Thanks again for your help

have you tried restaraunt depot?

New Jersey:

You cannot pump your own gas (like the rest of the country), and you cannot buy 16.9 oz. soda by the case (like the rest of the country). What is the deal up there? :lol:

Seriously, though, unless someone else has better ideas, it may be that Wal-Mart or crossing a state line once a month are the extent of your options.

LB

Got me thinking...Can a licensed, well-trained, professional, certified fuel-dispensing attendant pump their own gas in their own car on their day off?

I'm trying to switch most of my accounts to cans. Bottles aren't worth it without bumping up to $1.50+

I agree but I have a hospital that they aren't allowed to carry anything that doesn't have a screwed lid out on the floor. I would love all cans. So I am forced to vend at $1.50 but the snack machine out do the drink machines, that's the only reason I can figure out is because of the prices.

Archived