Royal 650 problems

AngryChris

I have some problems with some Royals.  All three were recently purchased on-location.  All three machines have similar problems in that the bottles get hung up but don't dispense.  I can't figure out whether it's a drop sensor problem, a motor problem, or something else like some sort of dirt or grime (I haven't been able to get any dirt off).

I can't seem to reproduce this as it doesn't happen often enough, but I will arrive at the location and find that a few selections might say "sold-out" when they really aren't.  Upon inspection, there is almost always a bottle that is half-way vended out of the selection, causing a jam which then tells the machine that the column is sold-out.  I'm thinking it's a slow/weak motor but I don't think I have ever messed with Royal motors before (never had to replace them).  Aside from a physical obstruction, I don't know what else would cause the bottles to not vend out completely.  On one selection on one machine, the column would not vend even with a test vend.  That column was not jammed.  I think changing motors would fix my problem but I don't want to spend a lot of money on motors if that's not the problem.  Also, two of these machines seem to constantly give me FriG - AClo errors almost every time I go.  I'm not sure if there's a potential electrical problem that's making this happen or not, but I am not 100% certain that I understand the error.

If it's as simple as changing out motors, then I'll do what I have to do.  It may be worth mentioning that the problematic columns usually have different motors.  I believe the black/square'ish shaped motors are the newer motors whereas the older motors are white and almost look triangular on top.

Changing the motors will solve that issue. It isn't hard to change them, but it is a pain in the neck, literally. I've got a 650 that needs three motors changed. I may actually pay a repairman to do it.

Thanks everyone.  I just checked and I never realized how cheap the motors are for royals compared to dixies.  Hopefully no drilling will be necessary but I think these are old 650's.

On a side note, does it sound like I have similar problems on some USI machines?  They do similar things with getting hung up.  Specifically, 7up products trip the drop sensor and the motors stop before fully dispensing the bottles.  I want to believe it's the design of the bottles that causes the problem as they don't want to fall straight down, but I guess they could have failing motors too.

If the bottles aren't getting stuck and if the vends stop when the first end of the bottle hits the chute then you can try locating the bottles to the center columns or adjust your drop sensor to be a bit less sensitive so the motor won't turn off so soon.  If you adjust the sensor for an individual product then make sure you test vend all of the other columns to confirm that you haven't caused a problem with them.

I always seem to have problems with the motor on column 7 (rear rightmost column) for some reason, have changed that motor on every royal I have..... not an expensive part but the first time you change one, lining up the rear column parts may expand your golpher vocabulary....

Archived