Chip Card Reader

Hi. I just discovered this forum. I just picked up some new locations and was planning to call USA Tech. I got a call from a friend who said given what is going on in retail now to avoid buying readers without a chip slot in them anymore. He told me he has been buying from Nayax exclusively for the past few months as he does not want to get stuck with hardware that may become obsolete like retail is going though now. I called Nayax today, and the guy told me the only reason Nayax even has chip card readers is because they are international and everywhere else in the world but here in the US, the credit card companies enforce chip readers on machine owners and now it is happening on retailers in the US. I am not taking any chances anymore that in 1-2-3 years my readers could becomer obsolete as they are now in retail and after I can't swipe my card anymore in any retail place. It's not worth the risk and also the guy told me Nayax has some other exclusive features like remote machines pricing from your computer without having to go to the machine. He said they manufacture their own equipment and everyone else puts their name on 3rd party manufacturers equipment and they offer features to their customers at no additional price.

I will let you know how it goes but I am not spending anymore money taking risks of readers without a chip slot.

Since working chip slots haven't even rolled out to most small business and fast food outlets yet, and since the US has been the slowest at adopting chip readers why are you so concerned about any swipe reader becoming obsolete?  Even the chip readers still take swipe-only cards so nothing is even close to obsolete yet.  Top that with vending being the last adopters of ANY technology you won't see an issue other than 2G cell service being abandoned in the next couple of years.  Rest comfortable with any swipe reader that runs on 3G or 4G service.

He told me the same thing that they are working on turning them on now for their existing US customers as they just received their US chip card certification. He said they have been chip card certified for many years in all the countries outside of the US they serve and are all operating there. 

I disagree with your logic. First when I shop retail, I am in many cases not allowed to swipe and must insert my chip. I assume those vendors do not want to get hit up for the chargebacks that that other merchants are risking. I am not putting chip readers in the same category of 3G or 4G cell coverage. They are totally different. Down the road (whenever that is) chip readers will prevent chargebacks that the credit card companies are eating for us today but are stopping to eating them in US retail now. I am not going to take a chance not buying a chip reader when it is sitting there and available. I have no reason not to and anyone who keep buying non chip readers are setting themselves up for some risk and each of us can assume whatever risk we want to tolerate. Hell, I wouldn't be as concerned, if I did not see the forced proliferation of these chip readers all over retail. It is coming and to think it is not, is not a risk worth taking for me (with no downside to buying them).

Charley coming in Hot...haha

Just kidding.  I only have a couple of them (9) so far through USA Tech.  Mine are all swipe.  I don't lose much sleep at night worrying about tomorrow and the potential road bumps that might arise.  I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.  Now if I had 1000 swipe readers then I may be singing a different tune.  But for now, I'll just buy the ones they send me.  

2g is going away and 3g is guaranteed until 2022. At 200 a pop ill take em all day long. Just got 80 of them this month and all work perfectly. Worry about making more sales before you worry about chip readers

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Kandy. No one guarantees anything in tech. I'll make the same money you do and stay safe at the same time. The prices are the same everywhere I've looked - a little higher here and a little lower there. I'll go to the vendor who offers me the best opportunity for sales + protects my investment. You sound like those retailers who years ago, did not believe they would be forced into investing in chip reader devices and today need do. Good sales alone, should never cloud complete business judgement. I wish you continued success.

4 hours ago, Charley H said:

Sorry Kandy. No one guarantees anything in tech. I'll make the same money you do and stay safe at the same time. The prices are the same everywhere I've looked - a little higher here and a little lower there. I'll go to the vendor who offers me the best opportunity for sales + protects my investment. You sound like those retailers who years ago, did not believe they would be forced into investing in chip reader devices and today need do. Good sales alone, should never cloud complete business judgement. I wish you continued success.

Would you rather make an addition $1,000 from a $300 reader and have to throw it away or wait and not make an extra $1,000 until the chip reader technology comes out.  If anyone is having clouded judgement here, it's you.

I was just letting everyone else know about this if they did not know about it already. That is what this forum is all about. I was not interested in debating, but simply sharing and I am done doing that. I could not be happier and if others are happy buying readers without chip slots, after going retail shopping and seeing swipe's all but disappearing, good for them too.

35 - I took their BUY25GET10FREE summer special. Have a great responsive hands on sales /support guy there.  I had USA Tech before. Works like a charm. Even speaks directions to the customer. On some machines, I can change my pricing right from my computer back to the machine. Now I can change my prices on the fly. I also had a location I couldn't get a cell signal from and a hi gain antenna didn't work. They have a wifi/Ethernet port on their telemeters, and I was able to get full service through the locations wifi. I don't knock where I have been but at the same time when I saw they also had the chip slot too, it was a no brainer for me. I don't knock others who are comfortable where they are and are making money  I'm only saying these readers are great, I'm making my money, and I'm getting lots more bang for my buck today and peace of mind for later should credit card companies start enforcing on us like they are now on retail. Off to work, starting early today. Have a great day all.

Hi. 

NA, Vendors, AMS, Jofemar, etc

yes, I can set with cents or %

No incompatibilities that I've seen. This is not a mom and pop company. I researched first. Their readers are in use in over 50 countries and they manufacture all their own equipment. When I speak to USA Tech, I feel like I am speaking to Sales people, when I speak to Nayax, I feel like I'm speaking to people who know their equipment inside out. I also am getting more features besides the chip card slot. I get LAN/Wfi, readers that speak, immediate power down alerts texted to my phone, I can can move my antenna around and see best strength locations and with a sequence of button presses lock in my best strength location, a rewards and loyalty app called Monyx (I was able to brand it with my company name, logo and colors so my customers see it as my app), sales analysis reports that shows me my slack periods, and others. I could go on and on. I'm just one happy guy right now  

I  am a relatively small company and I try to do as much myself as I can. Most of these machines had a 2nd knock out space which made the install very quick. Nayax pre-programmed my 2 tier price and I was ready to go. I drilled the holes in the other machines.

I agree 100% with Charlie here-- Nayax as a company and getting readers with a chip reader.  

To start, he is right they are the same price as competitors, give or take, and if you can get units with the chip reader it's a free option.  They have told me they will turn that feature on very soon.   Devices are simple to install -- takes about 15 mins max once you learn it.  I have installed about 50 of them.  I also took advantage of their buy 20 get 10 free deal after buying my first set.   Their customer service is great.  if you have a problem you pick up the phone and 95% of the time get someone immediately.   They are the guys who write the code, not the sales people who have no idea what it going on.  They answer everything,  I have had zero issues hooking them up to all my AP 111, 932, any USI, RV500, DN3800, DN5800,   I plug all my readers into DEX and the unit sends all my info to my VMS for pre-kitting and analysis.  They also just bought vendsys, which I also use.    USA tech, on the other hand, is terrible.  It takes days and weeks to get anything done!

On 8/7/2017 at 5:50 PM, Charley H said:

Hi. I just discovered this forum. I just picked up some new locations and was planning to call USA Tech. I got a call from a friend who said given what is going on in retail now to avoid buying readers without a chip slot in them anymore. ... I called Nayax today...

I will let you know how it goes...

On 8/30/2017 at 11:43 AM, AngryChris said:

So how long have your nayax readers been working for you now?

On 8/30/2017 at 1:13 PM, Charley H said:

I am into my 5th month now...

On 8/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, AngryChris said:

How many of these readers have you installed?

On 8/22/2017 at 5:01 AM, Charley H said:

35 - I took their BUY25GET10FREE summer special...

On 8/30/2017 at 1:13 PM, Charley H said:

... I started with their BUY25GET10FREE (but tacked on and bought 50) Summer Special. I have added some more since. At this point it does everything they said it would for me.

A lot of what you post doesn't add up, and all 10 out of 10 posts are promoting nayax.  Are you actually a vendor?  Can you provide anything to the forum other than your stellar experience with nayax?  Do you know how to clear a jam on a coin mech?

Archived