Does anyone know how to install these usat readers?

***Proper pics contained in this post!***

Hi all, so I've drilled the four holes for the screws on the reader, but unless your machine already has a cutout, HOW do you snake the cord that connects the reader to the eport through? Surely USAT doesn't expect you to 1) remove the end, drill a hole big enough for the cord, and reattach the end OR 2) Simply drill a ~1/2" hole big enough for the end to go through??? 

Confused, USAT likes to advertise just four holes but I think that's only valid with machines that only have the cutout!

8 hours ago, Sgolembiewski0903 said:

***Proper pics contained in this post!***

Hi all, so I've drilled the four holes for the screws on the reader, but unless your machine already has a cutout, HOW do you snake the cord that connects the reader to the eport through? Surely USAT doesn't expect you to 1) remove the end, drill a hole big enough for the cord, and reattach the end OR 2) Simply drill a ~1/2" hole big enough for the end to go through??? 

Confused, USAT likes to advertise just four holes but I think that's only valid with machines that only have the cutout!

If you have a cutout then you don't have to drill any holes.  With no cutout then you have to drill 5 holes like the template shows.  Use a torpedo level to get the template level (assuming your machine and door are level).  Otherwise you need to measure from a fixed point on the door to get the template straight.  Then you need to get a Varibit like Allen said to drill the larger hole.  The one thing you may not know, and is VERY IMPORTANT with USAT readers, is to NEVER power the card reader up without the antenna connected or you can blow the card reader board.

Step bit is the way to go on the larger holes, also works good to drill for the antenna coax if you need to run it outside the cabinet.  For the antenna, I carry rubber grommets to cover the edge of the hole and protect the cable.  You can get a large box of various size grommets at harbor freight for a few bucks, and they are easy to cut to get a good fit around the edge.  I use black gorilla tape to hold the antenna cable in place and give it some protection along the top of the machine.  An extra roll of adhesive backed velcro is also handy to have on installations.

Archived