Dixie Narco 368R

I have been looking to buy a 368R. Could someone tell me if this is a good machine to have? Positive and Negative? The owner tells me it is 5 yrs old? How can one tell the age? In the serial # somehow? I know it only is a single price which I am ok with. Does is vend bottles? He tells me it does. I know very little about these, so sorry about the questions. Any help would be great!  Thanks!

I'm 99% sure that machine is not 5 years old but more like 25 years old.  Being a 368, it is meant to vend cans 2-deep and, although it may vend bottles, it requires shims that might be hard to get and will only stock bottles 1-deep.  Even then, being single price means you can only set one price for all items.  The advantage (if you really push for one) is that the machine is simple to use.

Chris is correct and the seller is dumb or lying.  Just like a seller here who keeps trying to sell a Rowe 5900 as "like new" when it's from 1992.  The DN368 has not been produced for MANY years though parts are readily available just due to the sheer number of machines produced over a 20 year span or so.  The R designation means it has a door designed for either Veryfine Juce or Gatorade graphics.  Due to that you may find that selection labels for the buttons may have to be trimmed to fit the odd-sized buttons.  Otherwise it's a good machine for cans and nothing else, though you can do 16 oz water bottles in it just fine.

Dixie has made only glassfronts for at least 5 years now.

Also, FYI, the last 2 letters of the serial number is the age.

First letter: Quarter. A=1st quarter, B=2nd, etc

Second Letter: year.

S = 1994

T = 1995

U = 1996

V = 1997

W = 1998

X = 1999

Y = 2000

Z = 2001

2002 is A, 2003 is B, so on and so forth. It also goes the other way, R is 1993, Q is 1992, etc.

Ok thank you for all the info. It is a 1997 according to the serial #.  It has sat not running in the guys garage, I don't know how long. He plugged it in and it was getting cold. Is that a problem sitting for a while not running???

Both bulbs weren't working so I found 1 that worked and put it in and that side worked. Then took it out and put it in the other side and it wouldn't work. I know you have to have both bulbs in right? He told me you can get bulbs at Lowes and Home Depot. Not those bulbs you can't that I can find.

It seems in pretty good condition and he wants $500 for it. 

500 is too much.

Sitting is not really a problem if you made sure it still cools. Sometimes the refrigerant leaks but if it cools it’s fine. It’s one of those things that’s either fine or isn’t.

The other issue is if the machine was full when put into storage, cans leak and corrode the metal.

Those bulbs may not be available at the Home Depot. Been a while since I bought any though, I retrofit pretty much all my machines with LED strips.

I have a 1990 vintage DN 368 and it works just fine. As others have said it does cans real well and will do bottles in the middle four slots if you shim it right, but being single price you're pretty much limited to water if you want to make anything off it.

The bulbs in there are 5ft single pin and HomeDepot doesn't carry them, nor does Lowe's. You're better off just buying some LED strip lights (either self-contained or with a power supply) and bypassing the ballast then removing the ballast entirely. That's what I did to mine and it saves a bit of energy and headache.

If you end up buying it and need the service/parts manuals I can send them to you.

$500 is WAY too much for that machine.  I'd offer him no more than $100, take it or leave it.  First he tells you it's 5 years old, then you can pick up the bulbs at Home Depot.  He's either completely ignorant or giving you the "used car sales pitch".  I'd test it to make sure it vends each selection ok.  

While $500 is nowhere near the ripoff prices i have seen from individuals before, it isn't worth $500.  In fact, i wouldn't buy it because I am modernizing all of my equipment and having that machine would make me go backwards.  It's a good model, but there are SO many better models out there for cheap.  If it's for a hobby, don't pay more than $200.  If it's for an expanding vending business, try to find a newer model first.  You can find used 501e's everywhere.

Thank you for the input guys it is very much appreciated!

I own a laundromat and want to put it in there. I had one in there when I bought the laundromat and it was not taken care of, in bad shape and breaking down constantly. It was a Dixie Narco but didn't have a serial # on it so don't know what model.  I had new floors put in and tried to sell it and it didn't sell so I gave it to the flooring guy.

I just got a quote for a 501E that is a refurbed 21 yr old with an Aquafina front, delivered and setup for $1500. I think that is alot of money but it seems to be the going rate around here.

I want one the does cans mostly and bottled water. 

Archived