Vendo 721 w/card reader problem

AngryChris

I was talking to a distributor yesterday and I brought up the idea of possibly purchasing a Vendo 721 (I have a few already).  I asked him if he was aware of any problems because most of mine work fine.  Coincidentally, he told me that the ONLY real issue is that several other vendors have reported to him that, when a USA Tech reader is installed, a coin jam can cause the entire machine to go out of service. Well, low and behold, I have had this same issue occur to one of my Vendo 721's not once but at least twice.  In fact, the machine has a USA Tech reader (G9, I believe), an MEI 2702 and an MEI CF 7512.

Here's the catch (if there is one).  If I recall, the card reader wouldn't work with my eprom so I upgraded it to the latest version at the time (this was less than 2 years ago I believe).  The question is (and he mentioned the same question), is it a firmware issue or something else and is Vendo working on it?

My question is... has anyone else ran into this problem?  I had no idea this was a thing until he brought it up, but then I realized that it had happened to me.  Every device (validator, mech, and card reader) are ALL disabled until you pretty much reset the machine.  I did it quickly by just pulling the electronics plug at the bottom of the machine and just waiting a few seconds to power it all back on.  

Honestly... how often do 7512s jam?  Most of mine rarely jam, but this facility is dirty and it's just frustrating to think that a simple coin jam can cause such an issue, especially when you think you have the latest devices and latest eprom version in a pretty late-model machine that is still in production.

Chris,  I have 721 that's 6 months old with a g10 and 7512. I was their on a Friday morning left all was ok the card didn't report in for the weekend when got their I had a tube sensor error on the vendo and the entire machine was off including the card reader. I put a three tube charger in it was fine and I came back later in the week checking the 7512 that was in their it had one tube jammed cleared it put it back in their fine ever since. Think I saw the problem in one of my older vendo v21 as well.

• Like 1

I think mine was also a tube sense error last time.  Thing is, it's a pain to think that something so simple can disable the entire machine.  I just wonder if it's a specific combination of devices.  If you used nayax, maybe no problem?  Or a conlux mech?

• Like 1

It cost my a lot of money for something so stupid. I think it's the 7512 and vendo granted one machine has a 12.1 board  and the new one a 12.4. The vendo should let the 7512 do its job.

• Like 1

This is definitely a Vendo software issue.  Their version of MDB isn't playing nice.  If the problem is only with ver 12.4 then you will be screwed that you can't put a card reader on it if you want to avoid the issue by using ver 12.1.  If the problem is with ver 12.1 then you are okay if you put the new eprom in.  If you guys are having the problem with both versions then did the three tube mech fix it?  You could try the Coinco Guardian coin mech instead if you need more coin tubes.  Maybe it will play better with the Vendo software.

4 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If the problem is only with ver 12.4 then you will be screwed that you can't put a card reader on it if you want to avoid the issue by using ver 12.1.

Sounds like anyone with a vendo that wants a card reader + CF 7512 is screwed then.

3 hours ago, tc vending said:

I have seen this issue in both control boards and the 12.4  is new. I think a 3 tube avoids the issue completely. 

I am guessing it has something to do with the mech being smarter than your typical 3-tube mech.

It's pretty dumb that I can install 3 pretty reliable components ( USA Tech reader, MEI 2702, and MEI CF 7512) and have an issue with a late-model machine.  Yeah, it doesn't happen every day but I would say almost 50% of all of my customers don't bother calling when there's a problem so having a machine down like that can cost me money (and it has a few times before).

• Like 1