Dixie Narco 501E won't take a dollar coin

My 501e works fine so I'm going to go out on a whim here and say maybe your coin slot opening has some kind of adapter or different style that doesn't allow for dollar coins.  I have never heard of that though.  It's hard to see from the picture.  You can probably buy a replacement part.

As for not dispensing dollar coins,again only speculating but it might need a newer eprom.  I had problems with a vn 2700 until I upgraded the e-prom.  I never even suspected it before that.

Thanks AngryChris, I bought this machine less than a year ago from a very reputable source;  I never would have even thought about checking to see if it would allow a dollar coin.  None of my other 501es have that issue.  Perhaps in the refurb process an older plate was used by mistake.  I believe it does have an older eprom too, by the way, because USAT only reports credit sales on that machine, not cash sales. 

• Like 1

The eprom is pretty cheap.  I believe we are 381.41 now.  Maybe $35 depending on where you get it.  As for the coin insert, I have never had to mess with it but I would imagine you have to take the coin chute off and maybe dismount the display and some other parts.  However, you might be able to rig it up and grind out a slightly larger opening with a dremel or something.  Don't hold me to that advice though!  It just seems like a lot less work IF you already have the tool to do it.

5 hours ago, AZVendor said:

The red piece that the coins are inserted into come in two sizes.  The part is called the "coin insert geometry" and you need part 801.807.720.01 for the large one.

Thank you for that.  Is it very difficult to replace?  Also, what about the machine not dispensing dollar coins, any idea there?

21 minutes ago, Apple Leisure said:

Thank you for that.  Is it very difficult to replace?  Also, what about the machine not dispensing dollar coins, any idea there?

Not really, just look at it and figure it out. I do it routinely to replace scratched up lenses (coin insert and display lens are both part of the coin insert geometry.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:36 PM, AngryChris said:

The eprom is pretty cheap.  I believe we are 381.41 now.  Maybe $35 depending on where you get it.  As for the coin insert, I have never had to mess with it but I would imagine you have to take the coin chute off and maybe dismount the display and some other parts.  However, you might be able to rig it up and grind out a slightly larger opening with a dremel or something.  Don't hold me to that advice though!  It just seems like a lot less work IF you already have the tool to do it.

You're exactly right about the eprom, and I was able to obtain the whole assembly for the coin insert geometry.  It doesn't seem like it is a difficult job, just need to remove the coin chute first, also like you said.  I sure appreciate everyone's help here on this forum.

assembly.jpg

• Like 1