Help with a DN 522E

Friends,

I hope you can help me. I have a new (to me) DN 522E. There is 6 slots and I am trying to vend 12oz cans. I have 4 can shims on each side of the column (8 shims). The machine is vending 0 cans then 2 cans, etc. I set the cam to "2" on the cam, same behavior. I have red and gray cams.

What am I doing wrong?

Ty!

Nick

20210502_161947.jpg

It's been a while for me setting up a DN but I believe you'll need to set your can to 4 since this is a wide, oscillating column.  2 drop from the left and 2 from the right side of the oscillator.  Maybe someone else on here can confirm that for you.

Hi Mike!

I have 4 of these things (pic) attached on each side. It says online they are the can shims. I've set the cam to both "3" and "4" and even the one that doesn't have a number but it's doing the same thing. I've also put the cans at 3 deep and 2 deep and it will drop 3 (in 3 deep) and 2 (in 2 deep)

s-l225.jpg

Based on the setup AZ shared and your description, you should have been good to go with your original settings.  On the first pic you sent, the switch is out of the notch on the cam.  Does the motor coast past this notch or is that where the motor is timing out?  You may simply have gunk in the motor brake preventing it from stopping immediately when it's disengaged or a faulty "vend complete" switch. 

One test would be to move your setup to another column to find out if it works.  If the setup works in another column, you know a repair is needed on the column in question.

Hello Mike and AZ! First, thanks for helping me. 

I moved the cans over to column 3. I put 4 of what I think are "can shims" on each side for a total of 8. The cans are stacking like the picture on the door. I've set the red cam to all 3 of the settings (2,3,4) it's still dropping 3 and then none and then 3 again. Or 2 and then none and then 2. 

I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong. Do I have the wrong cam?

Here are some pics of my setup. The column I took a picture of doesn't have the shims in. I took them out for the picture

20210505_154537.jpg

20210505_160050.jpg

If you manually press down and release the brass looking metal piece on your motor, the brake should disengage and then re-engage immediately. It is under spring tension.  Often, syrup gets into the pivot points preventing smooth, easy movement of that brake. That allows the motor to "coast" once power is removed. 

Can you reinstall the shims you're using in the column and take a pic of that without product?  I'm curious if you're installing the shims backwards.  There is usually a guide on the inner door showing proper installation.

Doh! That's backwards! Tall part goes in the back. You know there is a diagram on the inner door that shows how to install these.

Edited by AZVendor

Did you or someone else replace the motor?  Because it's on wrong.  That's why it keeps going back and forth.  I can't guide you on how to do it right but your best bet is to set that selection so that the cam is in an identical position to another column and then disconnect the motor and take it off and rotate the oscillator (and the arm of it that goes into the motor) so that it matches the "good" column for reference.  Everything has to be lined up right or it will just go back and forth like yours is doing instead of rotating continuously.

Also, you may need a different cam because you need 6 notches to vend cans 3-deep on a wide column (that's 6 vends per full rotation).  Right now, you have 4 notches and the only possible way to make it work with your current cams is to set the backspacer so that your cans are only 2-deep.

Also, in the first video, you aren't pressing on the switch.  You are pressing on the brake.  The switch is the white piece that is connected to the metal "arm" that goes into the notches.  By pulling the metal piece back a bit, you engage the little button on the switch.

35 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

Did you or someone else replace the motor?  Because it's on wrong.  That's why it keeps going back and forth.  I can't guide you on how to do it right but your best bet is to set that selection so that the cam is in an identical position to another column and then disconnect the motor and take it off and rotate the oscillator (and the arm of it that goes into the motor) so that it matches the "good" column for reference.  Everything has to be lined up right or it will just go back and forth like yours is doing instead of rotating continuously.

Also, you may need a different cam because you need 6 notches to vend cans 3-deep on a wide column (that's 6 vends per full rotation).  Right now, you have 4 notches and the only possible way to make it work with your current cams is to set the backspacer so that your cans are only 2-deep.

Chris, it’s supposed to go back and forth. (Why it’s called an oscillator and not a rotor)

Also, red and gray cams are correct. Just need to set it to 6 notches showing.

Edited by orsd

So for everyone searching this (I hate when people go "got it fixed" and then don't say how) 

AZvendor is correct. The shims were in backwards. If you have a 522E and it's jackpoting on cans and 16.9 oz bottles, the shims might be in backwards.

As orsd said the cams are right, red and gray with the "3" setting for 3 deep cans. 

Can't thank you all enough. 

I need 24 can shims. Does anyone have a good site to get them?

There isn't a diagram on the door of how to use the shims. There is a loading guide on one side, that tells you how to stack the cans, but nothing about shims. Maybe they expect you to already know it (haha) the other side of the inner door has all the programming instructions

47 minutes ago, Nrsnick said:

There isn't a diagram on the door of how to use the shims. There is a loading guide on one side, that tells you how to stack the cans, but nothing about shims. Maybe they expect you to already know it (haha) the other side of the inner door has all the programming instructions

Usually there is, but some machines either never had one or it fell off.

For the shims go to nbsinc.net and call them to order, about a third of the price of vendors exchange.

While your at it pick up some fresh buttons if you current ones are faded, and a new coin insert overlay. (The decal around the coin insert area) Maybe about 10 bucks extra but will make your machine look a lot nicer.