Mars 2000/AP International model 112

Greetings,

Yesterday I was called in to service my machine they said the machine was not taking bills.  I showed up and there is no power to the unit.  No flashing lights and won't take the bills.  I had problems with the machine taking bills 2 months ago.  Bill goes in but doesn't register a price on the display.  I pulled it out and wiped everything off and it has worked great since then.  Now this problem.  Is the bill acceptor dead.  The bottom piece with the led's on the back doesn't flash or anything, no red light.  Do I just need to replace the entire thing.  This is a Mars 2000 series.  If I have to replace it, is it possible to change it out with one that accepts $5 bills too.  That's one thing this place complains about, this machine won't accept bigger bills and it won't take a credit card.  So if I do have to replace something then getting one with a $5 dollar option might be better.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Before you go too far, I would verify that your issue is with the bill acceptor.  You could just have tugged on the power harness during the last call or any number of other possibilities.   Maybe you can try that DBV on another one of your machines to test it before spending time and money chasing down a replacement.  

That said, replacement DBV's are available that are updated for 2008 $5 bills.  You'll want to consider that accepting a $5 means that you may be paying change to someone who purchased a $0.50 item so you'll be going be paying out $4.50 in quarters.  It won't take long before your visiting the machine simply to add quarters to keep your dbv in service.

2 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

Before you go too far, I would verify that your issue is with the bill acceptor.  You could just have tugged on the power harness during the last call or any number of other possibilities.   Maybe you can try that DBV on another one of your machines to test it before spending time and money chasing down a replacement.  

That said, replacement DBV's are available that are updated for 2008 $5 bills.  You'll want to consider that accepting a $5 means that you may be paying change to someone who purchased a $0.50 item so you'll be going be paying out $4.50 in quarters.  It won't take long before your visiting the machine simply to add quarters to keep your dbv in service.

True enough, Mike. but as long as the machine is MDB he can also upgrade the coin mech to a larger capacity unit that also holds dollar coins.  Just 10 dollar coins equals a roll of quarters, so they really amp up the capacity (and a lot of people will spend them back into the machine).   

By the way, who is still selling ANYTHING for fiddy cents?

• Haha 1

Let's start with it being an AP112. It probably still has the original AP board in it, so upgrading to take 5s requires an upgrade logic board like from InOne Technologies. 

3 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

Vendo Mike,

I think I need you as my neighbor, you answer all my questions!  So after I submitted this post I went to the location the machine is at and talked to the guys there.  They said it stopped taking bills yesterday and they powered it on and off and it would work then it wouldn't until finally here we are.  So I took it out and made sure all of the connections were good and they are and plugged everything back in and reseated it and still now led power light in the back.  One thing I did notice yesterday when I got into the machine is when I opened the door I hear this clicking noise.  When I removed the bill validator yesterday I noticed the ground wire was loose on the post with nothing securing it down.  That was the clicking was the ground wire hitting the post.  Could that have anything to do with it?  I secured it down with one of the nuts to the post but still nothing, and maybe it doesn't need to be secured.  I've never noticed it just hanging loose on the post.  I got a little more information when I was out there too, the model is an MEI VN 2501 U2 and the coin mech is an MEI TRC-6000.  Coin mech seems to be working just fine though.

3 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Time for a rebuilt validator and, yes, the ground should be attached to avoid feedback into the validator.

That's what I was assuming.  Do you know of a a place that fixes these up.  I was thinking it could be the wiring harness too.

So im new to all this i have an old ap 103. The bill validator only excepts 2 $1 bills before it decides nothing else can go in. I changed it to accept larger bills [ read up to 20] but still wont accept. Same question tho.. should i try an get an upgraded one or try a different one w a card reader. Help. [Ba32sa]

So much gibbbberish to me. 

If you truly have an AP103, and not a 113, 123,or 133 you have a pretty rare model.

Basically a prototype 113. There were maybe 5-600 built in the early 90s.

I don't know if these were capable of higher denomination bills. I'm guessing no, since it predates the 113 and the 113 does not take 5's.

I would call Vendors exchange to see if they know if their retrofit board for the 113 fits the 103, if you are dead set on this project.

Another thread: