Favorite Vending Business Course

atracy

Any favorite vending business courses?  I'm sure I can spend the time researching everything on my own which I've already started to do but I feel like a course would be a better use of my time and I don't mind paying for one.

Fortunately for me I have a 50-60hr/week W2 that pays very well as well as out of state rental properties so my time is very limited and I can't commit to learning from an operator on the job.  The plan is to build and run the business from home while my wife who is a stay at home mom with two little ones goes in the middle of the day to fill the machines.  This is why I'm looking for an online course I can learn from when work is slow or late in the evenings.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:51 PM, atracy said:

Fortunately for me I have a 50-60hr/week W2 that pays very well as well as out of state rental properties so my time is very limited 

Then why would you want to get into this???  I understand your "plan" but I'll tell you right now, it doesn't sound like a good plan.  Why exactly are your goals? 

For the last four years my wife has been a stay at home mom.  We get by on my salary and investments but we're not really moving forward financially.  Our youngest will be starting daycare soon so it's time for my wife to go back to work.  She can probably make around $50k/year at a 40hr/week job but we'd be scrambling in the mornings/evenings to get them to and from school plus activities.  I'm looking to purchase a business that she can work 20-25/hrs a week (4-5hrs a day) and make around $40k-$50k/year.  We've looked into different kinds of food routes, mini mailbox store, and a few other small businesses we can purchase and she can be present at in the middle of the day and do the paperwork in the evenings after the kids are down.  I can also help run the business part of it from home and she can do all of the day to day tasks.  Vending seems to be the best for freedom of schedule.  This will be a serious business for us that we plan on investing a good amount of money into.  We're not the "let's buy a $500 machine off of facebook, put it in one location, and make a lot of money like they do on youtube dreamers".  We're also not dreaming about making six figures out of this business, just a nice part time job that can help bring in a little extra income.  This is why I'm looking for a course that can help consolidate information, show us what kinds of licenses/business structures work well, and maybe learn a few extra things I might have missed in my research.  I do understand many times you can throw that all out the window once you actually get into it and learning by doing is the best way to do it.  I spent two years studying real estate investing before I purchased my first rental property so I'm used to lots of studying first, then learn by doing after.

51 minutes ago, atracy said:

.....I'm looking to purchase a business that she can work 20-25/hrs a week (4-5hrs a day) and make around $40k-$50k/year.

Work part time, 4-5 Hours a day and make 40-50k a year.....(especially in the vending biz)....  Good luck.  Heck,  my wife and I spend 4-5 hours a day combined doing just vending related every day right now with 25ish machines.  lucky LUCKY if we net 20k a year.

Dreaming my friend.  DREAMING!  Carry on what your doing, or send the kids to daycare and your wife to work full time.  Especially if she can jump back into working and earn 50k a year to start.

My two cents.

7 minutes ago, tblake05 said:

Work part time, 4-5 Hours a day and make 40-50k a year.....(especially in the vending biz)....  Good luck.  Heck,  my wife and I spend 4-5 hours a day combined doing just vending related every day right now with 25ish machines.  lucky LUCKY if we net 20k a year.

Dreaming my friend.  DREAMING!  Carry on what your doing, or send the kids to daycare and your wife to work full time.  Especially if she can jump back into working and earn 50k a year to start.

My two cents.

Wow, so you guys are each working 20-25hrs a week and lucky to net $10k a year each ($20k combined)?  You do realize at that math you're making $7.69 - $9.61/hr which is half the minimum wage.  You'd make double that just working at McDonalds part time.  If you're using the 50/20/30 rule where 50% gross goes to product, 20% goes to expenses, and 30% is net then you're grossing $67,000/year, $2,680 per machine/year with 25 machines, which means you're averaging $223.33 gross sales per machine per month.  Maybe my math is off and/or realistically you never net 30% of gross sales but that seems more like a location/expenses problem that could be fixed?

I really appreciate all of the feedback, it's why I came to these forums first before diving in.  I'm super eager to learn not only from courses but from people in the real world through forums (just don't have the time to follow someone in person).  For my full time 20 year career I don't touch numbers at all, I work in visual effects for movies/tv.  For real estate investing EVERYTHING comes down to the numbers.  You analyze every deal, every bank loan, every rental applicant, every single decision is based on numbers.  If you go with your gut or emotions in real estate you'll fail. 

I'm genuinely curious why anyone stays involved in the vending industry if it truly brings in such low numbers?  Do you guys have multiple businesses, are you semi retired and it's just to fill the time with a little extra income?  I've love to know you guys stick with it.

Vending only works with large numbers of machines.  It's supplemental income when you are below 60-75 machines.  75 will usually net you a decent income (not 50K though.)  The issues are many but remember that every location costs you money to buy machines for.  There isn't any account that is free when you calculate the equipment investment.  The actual net profit for a large vendor is less than 10% and closer to 5% due to all of the overhead.  You have to do great volume to get good income.  Of course, there are always people who steal from their own company or just underreport their income but that is very dangerous.  I've know many who did that and many others who steal from their accounts that they are to pay an honest commission to.  This is a cash business and it brings the worst out in people - owners and employees. 

I started with 5 soda machines in 1985 and by 1990 I had 60+ machines and had quit my day job - the job I quit when I got 5 machines and realized that I needed that job back.  By 1991 I had a second employee and had put another 100 machines out but all my profit went to pay that employee, pay for the machines I bought and pay commissions to my customers.  I continued that pace for the next two years because that's how good the business was at that time and we were up to 300 machines by 1995.  But, not anymore.  Now there are micro markets taking over vending accounts, fewer and fewer large employers, vending management companies that take over many national accounts.  It's a changed business and will never be what it once was.  The large operators are constantly selling out to even larger operators.  There are fewer and fewer professional vending companies now.  The independent operator that was at my employer was one that I watched as they grew from gumball machines to be a major player in this market.  They just sold out to Canteen, as most large operators eventually do.  This has further eroded what was good about being in vending. 

Edited by AZVendor
  • Like 1

I appreciate all the honesty and insight.  I feel like the vending business would have been great for me in another life since I grew up on a ranch fixing everything and running the business.  I couldn't be happier with the career I chose though and was lucky that the career I had a passion for pays very well.  My wife is extremely handy and great with people (used to work at Lowes and managed a Sherwin Williams) so I think vending would be really good for her.  Living in Los Angeles $50k is very little after income tax, our gardener makes more than that.  I'll keep analyzing businesses to buy for her to work and hopefully find something to bring in the income we're looking for.  In the mean time you'll probably see me posting more questions to see if I can still make anything work with vending.  Thanks again.

Thanks again everyone.  We are not looking to build a big company, this is a small part time thing for my wife to do for a few years (maybe 3-5) while the kids are still very young and to basically cover their costs (kids are crazy expensive).  Eventually we would sell the route so she can go back to doing something she loves full time.  Since we live in Los Angeles we have a lot of access to high foot traffic businesses near us.  We'll see what we can get secured in the next 6-12 months.  I'll make sure to report back in on how things are going.  Hopefully I'll be reporting great news on progress and not trying to sell machines 😆.

• Like 1