advice on a vending "island"

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems they drilled the locks on 2 of the soda machines and moved over to the ice cream saw the fake camera and fled.they ripped out the coin changer on  the only third party machine I have there and drliled the locks on my pepsi can machine one over but only took the coin bax leaveing the cassh and the coin changer.they tried to drill the lock across the street at work on my pepsi 3rd paerty 20 oz unsuccesfully for the second time.my soda in the coke  bottle machine was frozen and probably no good anymore.the coke machine does better then the pepsi 20 oz vs 20 oz  and is now out of comision.I am going to have 2 tees built bolt them to the concrete block wall on the ends of the machines and have a tubular bar with the ends flatened  to lay over it with good locks on the ends.It will be a little more work 2 service but had they been uninterupted or scared away by the camera or whatever hapened I got off really easy.I ordered better locks too for all 6 full line machines I have.

Any kind of a break in sucks golpher,  But I guess you can look at it like this,  at least they drilled the locks and didn't trash the machines by attempting to pry them open.

Sorry to hear about the break in. From past experience the prying attempt will come next with the better locks. Its a sad reality with most outdoor locations. I would spend a few hundred bucks and set up several cameras with a recorder so you have some evidence to prosecute the pond scum that did this and likely will at least try to again.

mission I agree the cameras would help put a face to a thief but finding the perp is going to be an entirely differant story.you dont think a bar running across all the machines bolted to the concrete wall wont make thieves think twice before attempting a break in?it would definately slow them down since it would be an extra heavy duty padlock they would have to pick thus increasing the odds of getting caught or discourageing the robbery all together since there are plenty of othe unprotected machines,like the 2 right across the street.I am also considering getting locks for the inside doors for the machines too.the bar would also make it almost impossible to tip the machines.it seems that it may have been 2 hispanics and a local girl that isnt all there upstairs,she was trying to cash in change yesterday.other machines got robbed in town as well.

They wouldn't pick the lock, they would use a bolt cutter or grinder to cut it. The bar will help simply by making it harder and more time consuming to get into the machines, but stop them? no I'm afraid it won't. All you can do is to make it so difficult to get into the machines that they would rather go somewhere else first and then hope for the best.

It sometimes amazes me to see how hard these guys will work to steal 50 bucks, if they put half that effort into a real job they could make twice as much.

It sometimes amazes me to see how hard these guys will work to steal 50 bucks, if they put half that effort into a real job they could make twice as much.

You beat me to it! 

And another thing,  you see these train cars and overpasses with graffiti on them.  although an eyesore,  Some are very creative.  If the "artist" would only apply themselves, they could actually make some nice money doing drawings, etc.

mission I agree the cameras would help put a face to a thief but finding the perp is going to be an entirely differant story.you dont think a bar running across all the machines bolted to the concrete wall wont make thieves think twice before attempting a break in?it would definately slow them down since it would be an extra heavy duty padlock they would have to pick thus increasing the odds of getting caught or discourageing the robbery all together since there are plenty of othe unprotected machines,like the 2 right across the street.I am also considering getting locks for the inside doors for the machines too.the bar would also make it almost impossible to tip the machines.it seems that it may have been 2 hispanics and a local girl that isnt all there upstairs,she was trying to cash in change yesterday.other machines got robbed in town as well.

can you rig some sort of alarm inside the machine?

did you post signs up on every machine that say "smile you are under video surveillance " really big?

Mission and everyone,I dont intend on building this extra protection to stop them,but to either slow them downtherefore increasing the chance of getting caught  or make them go somewhere else where it would be easier to rob.I doubt they would use a grinder,it would be too noisy imo and there are houses close by.this countys sheriffs living room overlooks my machines and his son is also a deputy,if they tried that with a grinder most likely they would wake them.

did you post signs up on every machine that say "smile you are under video surveillance " really big?

only in the ice cream machine I did that,since I can put it in the inside and it woont get torn off.

I know of a guy that somehow rigged up a car alarm inside a soda mchine.  The unit was mounted down around the compressor with the siren. I`ll have to admit it was kind of cool walking up to a machine and hearing it chirp when he walked up to it and pressed the remote button.

I`ll try to track him down and get more specifics if your interested.

Their are remote monitors that works off a phone line that call your phone (or police) if their is a problem. Not sure who does these but a company I worked for used them at a location we were having problems with. 

I know of a guy that somehow rigged up a car alarm inside a soda mchine.  The unit was mounted down around the compressor with the siren. I`ll have to admit it was kind of cool walking up to a machine and hearing it chirp when he walked up to it and pressed the remote button.

I`ll try to track him down and get more specifics if your interested.

I think I would like that info if you can get it.I am not into electronics but my brother could figure it out.thanks!

Have you considered doing a cage? You might consider a cage for the machines. I know cages dont look good but they help keep people from breaking in and damaging the machines. You might consider a cage and a the use of real cameras.

The problem with the alarm systems is most work off movement and unless thye are rocking the machine the alarm may not go off until a lot of damage is done to your equipment.

Outside vending has always been a problem and it gets worse avery year. Coke and Pepsi in this area will hardly ever place a machine outside. We had a location that was getting hit about every two weeks or so. After we put up cameras it pretty much stopped.

thanks for the link.I have not considered a cage,yet.I havent had much vandalism.I have had 2 machines outside for years and only have had one attemted break in and now one succesful break in.ironicly both times they tried to get in my 20 oz pepsi 3rd party machine they have failed,but the first time they tried to get into cokes they did some damage. once I decide what I will do I will post pics

I was talking with some co-workers about Antonio's machines and we all agreed, If they would apply themselves, and work as hard at a job as they did breaking into machines,  They could draw a lot more money, and not be breaking the law and not have to worry about the law coming and hauling their lazy golphers off to jail.

• 2 weeks later...

thats gonna be my next upgrade !!

I worked out a deal with a lady that has a little taco cart and she is going to set up there mon and tues next to the machines!!this is the best news I have had for a while in the full line part of my vending biz!!next week there is going to be a festival in town with a parade starting in the parking lots in and around the machinestoo.too bad I had to resend my m and m motherboard back,at least it took a dump on me before the 6 month warranty was up on wednsday and sent it in in time.all these issues are what lead me to believe that with full line you should be either in all the way or not at all,with aall the proper tools and equipment and most importantly the know how with the machines.fortunately costumer service is really good at helping thru the phone,that has helped me a lot.

Archived