How big can you grow with only using locators?

hutchdavidson

So I would like to know if someone found a great locator, or had several really good ones at their disposal at any given time, is something stopping them from only using locators for their vending business?

Or is it ok to only use locators until you grow to a general size, then its not going to work anymore?

Sorry to not post this in locator forum but that forum doesnt have any traffic, and as you all know "foot traffic is key" lol.

The good thing about bulk is that you can be as little or as big as you want. If your happy using a locator than by all means do it.  Nothing say you have to locate your own.  Whatever makes you comfortable. With a locator fee however, it will take a while longer to get in the black. If you are prepared for that then go for it.

You cant go wrong with Eddie or Rob (kickstart).  I would not use a locator who was not an active member of this forum and who I couldn't get feed back on first.  Just about everyone would say its better to do your own locating and invest the money in more machines.  I have done both and have had success locating on my own.  But for the future would eventually like to have a standing monthly order with rob and eddie and do a little myself.  I'll locate in the towns that are easier in my opinion and leave the rest for the pros.

So I would like to know if someone found a great locator, or had several really good ones at their disposal at any given time, is something stopping them from only using locators for their vending business?

Or is it ok to only use locators until you grow to a general size, then its not going to work anymore?

Sorry to not post this in locator forum but that forum doesnt have any traffic, and as you all know "foot traffic is key" lol.

people use locators for different reasons, my take on it is...someone just starting out in vending as a part time business will use a locator because they dont have the time to locate themselves. also, people use locators because they lack the experience or confidence to call on locations themselves. Having a good locator to place your machines while you do your full time job can be beneficial for part timers, all they have to do is go place their machines after hours or weekends. usually full time bulk vendors do their on locating, because paying a locator to do what you are already doing makes no sense.

You cant go wrong with Eddie or Rob (kickstart).  I would not use a locator who was not an active member of this forum and who I couldn't get feed back on first.  Just about everyone would say its better to do your own locating and invest the money in more machines.  

The only locator on the board I have used is Eddie he has been great..And he will listen to your needs and does his work fast and cheap

You can not go wrong with him..  ;D

When I first started, it was like a badge of courage to be able to do my own locating.  To date, I have only use a locator for about 5% of all the locations I've ever had.  However, I've come to realize the benefits of using a locator.  Yes, it saves time when you are first starting out and gets you going much more quickly.  But when you are on a shoestring budget, it's easy to think that you can save some money and do it yourself.  It all depends on the time you have available. 

But as you grow, it also becomes a question of how much work you want to do, versus how much money you want to invest.  I am reminded of Robert Kiyosaki, aka Rich Dad and his Cash Flow Quadrants.  If you want to grow a business, you cannot do everything yourself. You must delegate some tasks.  That is why most businesses hire employees.  Money will come and money will go, but even the poor person has the same amount of time in a day as the rich person.  Do you want to spend your time doing something that you can pay others to do?  From a business perspective, it is much more economical to pay somebody to do the work that they are trained to do, while you do the things that keep your business running.

Do you work on your own car, or do you take it to the auto shop and let professionals fix your car?

Do you clean your own house, or do you hire a maid service?

Do you mow your own lawn, or do you hire a yard service?

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire an agency like Jackson Hewitt?

Would you like to spend the weekend looking for locations, or would you rather go to the water park with your kids?

Excellent post Dr. Perry.  This is exactly how I feel.

Regardless of how people get their locations, they should at least do a little on their own just so they understand it better, and so that it isn't being avoided just out of fear.

One of the arguments against using locators is that they won't care about your business as much as you do.  But I have a feeling that Roger Folz didn't do everything himself.  Not when he had vending machines in 48 states.

I use  Locators , Only because I have to work around the Schudle  of my  kids, and  house  work, Sense I am stay at home Dad. my job also falls under the  role of  everything else.  I use Eddie he's  fast  and easy to work with

I would never use a locator unless I was going to use them for a certain location that I can't seem to get on my own.  Locate on your own and save the money to roll into more machines.  In the long run you will always get better locations locating on your own.  Do you want some guy sitting at a desk on the phone to grow your business?  Or do you wana grow it?

I would never use a locator unless I was going to use them for a certain location that I can't seem to get on my own.  Locate on your own and save the money to roll into more machines.  In the long run you will always get better locations locating on your own.  Do you want some guy sitting at a desk on the phone to grow your business?  Or do you wana grow it?

I'll take the guy at the desk and myself every once in awhile

Do you want to have a lasting business process that you can hand down to your children, or do you want to have a business that will die with you if you ever get hit by a bus?

I plan to pass my business to my family and my kids.  Some of them have already expressed interest continuing in the business.  I might (or might not ) be good at locating, but that does not mean that my kids will be as good at it as I am.  If I were to become unable to work the business, and by extension, to find new locations, then the business would flounder.  If however, the business were to hire locators, then the business can continue even though I was out of the picture.

What the hell does that have to do with the topic???

It has to do with certain business functions that are distinctly tied to the owner and arent flexible should the owner not be able to perform those functions any longer. Owners train people to service routes so the business isnt 100% dependant on one person, owners farm out locations to locating services for same reason. Same thing with taxes, accounting, etc.

I know Im new here and all and not trying to sound derogatory in any way but this business doesnt seem so complicated to where the owner must have his hands on every function of the business or it "just wont work".

I have located myself or bought my locations up and running from other vendors. I have recently hired Eddie. I sat at my day time job and they located. I could spend every weekend locating but He got 5 in a couple days. He is willing to work with you. So far it has been positive while he got 5 locations. THen I got a call for locations in 5 pawn shops. 10 Locations in a week. Now I can go Saturday and place machines. Saves me  a ton of time running a round burning Gas and getting told no.

I have located myself or bought my locations up and running from other vendors. I have recently hired Eddie. I sat at my day time job and they located. I could spend every weekend locating but He got 5 in a couple days. He is willing to work with you. So far it has been positive while he got 5 locations. THen I got a call for locations in 5 pawn shops. 10 Locations in a week. Now I can go Saturday and place machines. Saves me  a ton of time running a round burning Gas and getting told no.

This is really the sort of beneficial situation with a locator I am looking for. Im a nice guy and deal with different people everyday for my regular business but Im never having to "sell" anyone on anything I have to offer. Im just the sales-type personality but I think I can do well with vending regardless.

Mainor I don't really think its a man crush lol.  But has more to do with the fact that our business models are much alike.  We both are full time vendors that have built our routes from scratch.  We have both been at it for a long time and have paid our dues so to speak.  We have long lasting locations both mom and pop and corp. Accounts.  But back to the topic.  I understand that many ppl have gotten some good locations from locators however your best locations and longer lasting locations are the ones you get your self.  Locators are in the business of getting locations.  Not always quality locations all they need is a yes and they got your 50.00 dollars.  They get paid if the location is good or not.  Ask your self this if your a plumber would you pay some one to come to your house to fix a pipe?  As for my business running if I wasn't here.  My wife and kids are all up on the business I also have 3 brother in laws that are all trained in my business.  My 8 yo daughter can locate machines and fill service a rack and pay comm.  Sit back and listen to us guys that have been doing this for years you may learn somthing

must be hell getting that big head of yours through the front doors when trying to service machines.  we are all well aware of your business model by now, and you are correct about us being able to learn something from you, but when your as condescending as you are the message is normally lost.

this is all good info! but let's keep in mind all locators only locate charity locations, when you want commission locations you must locate yourself, I have no intentions of going the charity route (nothing wrong with charity) I am in this to make a profit and grow my business as I work my routes, therefore I will always locate myself.

this is all good info! but let's keep in mind all locators only locate charity locations, when you want commission locations you must locate yourself, I have no intentions of going the charity route (nothing wrong with charity) I am in this to make a profit and grow my business as I work my routes, therefore I will always locate myself.

Not all that difficult for a location to start life as a charity location and end up a commission location.  Hope this doesn't end up as another charity vs. commission thread, that horse has been beat to death and resurrected many times.

Not all that difficult for a location to start life as a charity location and end up a commission location.  Hope this doesn't end up as another charity vs. commission thread, that horse has been beat to death and resurrected many times.

amen to that! locator threads are just as abundant! But Im just glad to see some life in the forum! it's been kinda boring until profits caught on fire, now mainor kicking sand at havending! gotta be a full moon!  :-*

When I first started, it was like a badge of courage to be able to do my own locating.  To date, I have only use a locator for about 5% of all the locations I've ever had.  However, I've come to realize the benefits of using a locator.  Yes, it saves time when you are first starting out and gets you going much more quickly.  But when you are on a shoestring budget, it's easy to think that you can save some money and do it yourself.  It all depends on the time you have available. 

But as you grow, it also becomes a question of how much work you want to do, versus how much money you want to invest.  I am reminded of Robert Kiyosaki, aka Rich Dad and his Cash Flow Quadrants.  If you want to grow a business, you cannot do everything yourself. You must delegate some tasks.  That is why most businesses hire employees.  Money will come and money will go, but even the poor person has the same amount of time in a day as the rich person.  Do you want to spend your time doing something that you can pay others to do?  From a business perspective, it is much more economical to pay somebody to do the work that they are trained to do, while you do the things that keep your business running.

Do you work on your own car, or do you take it to the auto shop and let professionals fix your car?

Do you clean your own house, or do you hire a maid service?

Do you mow your own lawn, or do you hire a yard service?

Do you do your own taxes, or do you hire an agency like Jackson Hewitt?

Would you like to spend the weekend looking for locations, or would you rather go to the water park with your kids?

Great post D.

To each his own.

Some folks like growing without the help of locators.

Others prefer to let locators do 100% of the locating.

And still others, like me, split the process -- I locate some and I hire a locator some.

No one can tell you the right or wrong way to do it for YOUR business needs.

Being your own locator doesn't ALWAYS save you money.

If a locator can get you 5 locations in 1 week and it takes you 3 months to get 5 locations, how much money did you really save by not paying a locator?

Not much (if any) when you factor in your time and gas + the earnings you didn't get over the 3 month period.

Some of us have an easier time locating for ourselves.

If you aren't in that group -- get a locator.

Using a locator doesn't make you any less a vendor or make you any less likely to succeed in vending.

Besides, we don't all want to be the next havending.

I think he's great, respect his knowledge, learn from his experience, and enjoy reading his posts -- but that doesn't mean his business processes and business philosophies are a perfect fit for me and mine.

Despite his success in this business, I don't think his is the only way to do it....at least not for everybody.

Even if it were, I'd rather sacrifice some success and money than sacrifice my happiness.

And I'm happy doing things my way -- Isn't that really why most of us become entrepreneurs anyway?

We both are full time vendors that have built our routes from scratch.  We have both been at it for a long time and have paid our dues so to speak.  We have long lasting locations both mom and pop and corp. Accounts. 

So when you started in this business, what was your job that paid your bills?  When did you find time to locate?  What did you give up when you went locating?  How many kids did you have when you started in the business?  Were you married?

If I were to start this business right out of school, with no family, no kids, no mortgage, I might be able to find some time to do all the locating and not have to pay others to do it.  But I don't have that luxury any more.