Used Bulk Machines

JoeT

So, I'm trying to only buy used machines in order to break even quicker, but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything besides used Vendstars...

Do you guys buy used and if so, can you let me know some of the reputable sites that you use?

Thanks Guys!

Joe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm trying to only buy used machines in order to break even quicker, but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything besides used Vendstars...

Do you guys buy used and if so, can you let me know some of the reputable sites that you use?

Thanks Guys!

Joe

This is precisely why I no longer buy used machines...unless I'm buying a route.

If all I want/need is machines, I go new.

There are deals to be had in the used market, but you have to be careful with your time when hunting those SUPPOSED bargains.

Good business practice is about budgeting your time as well as your finances.

Do not fail to consider lost revenue that having to find and refurb a used machine is costing you when factoring your "savings".

If you save $20 buying used, but shopping and refurbing the used machine caused a delay of 2 months before you got it on location, how much money did you really save?

Was it worth it?

You may have been able to make up that extra $20 a new machine costs just by getting a machine in a location sooner....with none of the hassle of hunting for and refurbing used machines.

For me, my time is too precious to be hunting down machines only to spend more time refurbing them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy used.

My point here is to remind you to value your time as much as you value your money.

My attitde is:

Two weeks from now some who buy only used will still be searching craigslist and ebay in vain.

While, I will have a new machine on location earning quarters because I ordered new today.

We all know that TIME = MONEY

But, each business person needs to realize when their TIME is making and when their TIME is costing them that money.

Best of luck to you buddy.

Good post Sherlock.

I agree with almost everything you say but want to add that I buy mostly used machines. I buy OAK Vista's and the copies thereof, and Northwestern and A&A copies. This is for my 1" machines. 2" machines are basically NW80 and Big OAK. Got a few oddballs thrown it but that is the main machines. I have enough spare parts that I don't need to wait on anything. I also buy parts lots and that gives me lots of spare parts.

But I have to say that I enjoy doing it as well. So its worth it to me.

I look on Craigslist and Ebay. Also chase leads I hear about. I've bought machines for as low as $6 each and also have got a lot of free product with them. You have to look at everything when you buy used. I'm waiting on a tattoo/sticker machine right now that came with 4 full boxes of product. Even if I have to cap them it equates to $600 worth of product. That made the machine a winner in my book.

Time does not equal Money. If you run out of money you can make more. You can not make more time. Use it wisely.

I started with three heads last May. Own about 140, without buying used and refurbing I could have never grown this fast with the investment I had to work with. I have bought 4 and 5 head racks for as little as 30.00 each. So I feel used is right for me.If you are not finding deals you may not be looking enough. There are deals to be had I know a TVF member just bought 3 column sticker and stand with two po89s at a great price and he has it out working already.

If you find a quantity of used machines locally consider the cost of freight. If two of your brand new machines and a stand grew legs your going to be really upset. I lost two old eagles on an ultravend stand last month I was more upset about the stand because it had a spill tray than I was of the old eagles

I agree with Sherlock. I bought a bunch of used machines because I saw what Hillbilly did with his, but it's been a pain in my behind. In retrospect I would have just got some new PN95 from A&A. Slowly I've refurbed the machines and am getting them out there...but it's a slow process and just not worth doing again. But I think if I had more time and inclination as Hillbilly did then it is good for the right person. Hillbilly's machines do look cool.

I think sherlocks methodology is sound provided you have the ability to do that. With candy and small capsule venders, it's no problem but I'm currently in the market for flat venders (hint hint) and am in no position financially to pay for new ones. I can find good used flats on CL for $400 less than buying new so for me, buying used is the only option.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

I'm more than happy to buy new machines. That way you get just the equipment you want,in the right configuration, with all the locks and keys that match your existing sets. Quite often I have to wonder if it is really worth it to refurb a machine, rather than just buy them new. At the very least, you need to buy new locks for the used machines. How often do you find used machines that have anything other than 25c mechs (for 1in machines). Or If they need too much work done, like replacing parts, then it almost doesn't seem worth it, with all the added cost, in money and time, that it takes to get them in the condition you want them in. The only time I would always buy used is if it was for a 1-800 machine, or if the machine was in almost pristine condition.

Another consideration is that if you buy used, then your fleet will be a mish-mash of different kinds of machines. The more makes and models you have, the harder it is to keep the right kinds of parts on hand. If you buy only used, you have the option of buying exactly the kinds of machines you want.

Now I can play devils advocate. You can buy all the used machines you want, and if you like fixing them up, you can do so, then turn around and sell them. I know some venders who make as much, or more from their vending business by selling refurb'd used machines as they do by running their routes. The trick is to be actively advertising that you will buy used machines, and have the sellers come directly to you, rather than hunting down sellers off of ebay or CL.

On the flip side, I can't see myself buying a new rack stand, when I can make one cheaply and easily for 1/3 the cost.

if your going to be in the vending business a while I agree with the rest and buy new.it seems though you are just starting out and dont really know if you like the vending business or not.if that is the case then you should buy used.

Very well said, antoniocinisi. Buying used is less of an expense if it turns out you don't like the business. Far too many people find out soon enough that it's not as easy as it looks and are out big bucks.

I don't know what you are looking for, but I saw some good deals on eBay just today for Northwesterns. I saw some in the range of $30 to $50 including the shipping. Brand new Northwesterns run about $80 from the mfg. and $70 from Sam's Club.

Other than you saying you don't like the Vendstar, there's plenty of deals for other used machines on eBay.

I would definately say the used is the way to go. There is no doubt about it. If your are small or medium sized, you should have no

trouble finding deals. I have increased my head count by 3 or 4 or 5 times what I could do with new machines. Unless you are large and

cash rich, go with used equipment. And don't say that there are only crappy machines out there. I am picky and buy nothing but Northwestern and beavers

and they have been cleaned/refurb to almost new condition. Do you want your money back in 4-6 months or 12-18 months?

Let me also share a great vending nugget I have found in my journey:

-The lower you buy your used machines, the lower the risk you have. When buying used, you increase ROI, lower payback period, increase book value/market ratio, decrease loss in case of theft,

and finally takes advantage of the compound effect.

This is a huge nugget. I know this is true because I am a analyst of stocks/securities, and as a student of finance know about risk.

Ok, maybe the definition of a 'deal' needs some clarification. I recently was looking at an auction for some big oaks. The seller thought that $100 shipped, with no locks was a good deal. I disagreed. I countered with $75 shipped, with locks and keys. That is a price I could live with for a used 2in machine. For Oak/A&A/Eagle vista-type 1in machines, I won't go higher than $25 and they MUST have locks and keys for that price. For NWs60's, I'll go up to $35. When 1in machines can be had for $45-$50 for brand new, with lock and key, and the proper wheel, it's very hard to think of buying the same machine used, for $35, with no lock and with the wrong wheel. A&A will sell a 2001 premier for $115 with your lock and any denomination mech you wish. How exactly is it a savings to buy similar used machines for $100?

what your saying is correct but what you are forgetting is shipping add in shipping and then add that to your new machines .So unless you pick up your new machines the cost of a new machine is way more then 50 i have seen alot of posts where ppl say a machine is only 50$ new so why would i buy a good used for 35 0r 40 the answer is look at the whole cost add in that shipping and see what it will cost it sure is not just 50$.

what your saying is correct but what you are forgetting is shipping add in shipping and then add that to your new machines .So unless you pick up your new machines the cost of a new machine is way more then 50 i have seen alot of posts where ppl say a machine is only 50$ new so why would i buy a good used for 35 0r 40 the answer is look at the whole cost add in that shipping and see what it will cost it sure is not just 50$.

Shipping is the same for new as it is for used, so that part of it is a wash.

But to be fair, what percentage below the price of new would you feel is a deal for a used machine? I want 50% or more of a reduction before I will consider buying used. Anything less than that, then you end up paying new prices for used items, once you factor in replacement parts, locks, paint, etc.

Shipping is the same for new as it is for used, so that part of it is a wash.

But to be fair, what percentage below the price of new would you feel is a deal for a used machine? I want 50% or more of a reduction before I will consider buying used. Anything less than that, then you end up paying new prices for used items, once you factor in replacement parts, locks, paint, etc.

well it depends on the condition of the machine if the machine is refurbished already and comes the way you want it then if you can get it for even 40 would be a deal if you are close enough to pick it up thats what i was trying to say before i should of made that more clear cause to buy a new machine and pay shipping the 50$ new is only if u buy more then 10 if u get less then 10 its like 55$ so add the shipping to the 55$ and if you can find a totally refurbished machine with locks and the key and set up the way you want it even 40 isnt bad however if you have to have it shipped then yea you want it as cheap as you can get it i agree but if you can pick it up and not pay shipping then everyone has to add in the shipping to the new machine and refurbished is better

Wow lots of great info....thanks guys. The members of this site provide great advice! I'm hoping and planning that I'm in this for the long haul, so I'll let you know what I decide.

the way I see it is if you are a small part time vendor then buying used is a great option, the larger you get the less time you have for refurbing machines, right now I do not have time to refurb machines and I buy new, I like the consistency of having all new identical machines.

as mentioned when buying used you have to weigh several factors, if after you have figured in the additional cost of locks, wheels, paint, and time and its still a good deal then its worth it just be careful your used machines do not end up costing as much as a new one. the beauty of this forum is newbies can ask if deals are good or not before making the purchase.

Archived